Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NoseGirl ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 07:01PM

I was all set to get a rhinoplasty (nose job). Then, I started reading horror stories. People not feeling like themselves. Hating it. The long healing process and looking awkward.

Would love to know any experiences anyone has with rhino and also am curious if people think it would benefit me or if I should just leave my face alone. I posted pics here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150125100837AAQpOZh

My big issue is that I want to get rid of the "hump" from the side, but I don't really want to change the front

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 07:13PM

They've come a long way with that surgery since I had mine back in 1972. The only negative thing I had happen was that once they took the cast off, there were hundreds of blackheads underneath the cast and my pores have been enlarged since that time. But I have very oily skin and I don't think they do the full cast thing anymore.

I certainly don't regret it. My nose ceased to be the centre of my life after that, which was worth it.

My boss had one a few years ago and it looks great.

After I had mine, my sister, my Mom and a friend's Mom had one too. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 07:13PM by Greyfort.

Date: January 25, 2015 07:14PM

Thank you. Did it take you time to adjust to your new nose? Were you "freaked out" or did you feel like your face was out of proportion all of the sudden? These are the types of "Horror stories" I'm reading

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 07:28PM

what do other people who you know and trust think of your nose as it is at the moment?

Date: January 25, 2015 08:02PM

The people who love me (I Have a bf of 6 years) are fine with my nose. I even compete in pageants with it, but it bothers me...always has

Date: January 25, 2015 07:38PM

No, I wasn't freaked out at all. All that happened was that the bump I hated was just gone. They don't do such a major reconstruction that your nose no longer suits your face. At least a good surgeon won't. That's where you need to do your research and find a surgeon that has good references.

I was only 14 when I had my surgery. At my age now (in my 50s), I probably wouldn't do it. That's because I've now had about 7 surgeries in my lifetime and I realize that any surgery is still surgery and it puts your body through a lot.

I always thought I'd get a lot of plastic surgery done when I got older. Now I wouldn't. But at 14, it was a fairly easy thing to go through.

Date: January 25, 2015 08:03PM

That's all I want is the hump gone. He is talking about a tip lift, but I'm not really interested in that.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 12:45AM

I think that the most important thing is how you feel about yourself. If you feel bad about yourself when you see yourself from the side --- even if only in photos --- then it may be worthwhile to think about changing the shape of your nose, as long as you truly believe that it will help you feel good about yourself.

For heaven's sake, never let a surgeon talk you into doing anything that is not *the exact thing* that you want. I've had many surgeries and as life goes on, you learn the it's usually best to do as little as possible.

Also, if you already know that your surgeon is the best surgeon on earth, that's fine. If you don't know that, always get at least one second opinion. This is especially important if the first surgeon is trying to talk you into any surgery that is not essential to your needs and that is not what you wanted yourself.

I've had good surgeons and bad surgeons. One bad surgeon left me with problems that can't be reversed and that affect every hour of my life. After that, the best thing that I ever did for myself was to follow my primary-care doctor's advice, and search for the best surgeon in the best facility and go to that person and no other.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 07:53PM

I had my rhinoplasty when I was 19 years old. I had a VERY good referral (Dr. Berman was one of the top choices of most of the Jewish families on the Westside of L.A.) from a woman I worked with (she was at least ten or fifteen years older than me), who told me that if I didn't feel that my (birth) nose was "me," to get it done sooner rather than later...and by the way, she could recommend this GREAT doctor to me who was on the other side of the mountain (in Beverly Hills). I have been grateful to her and for her advice and interest ever since. (And it was an earlier time in medical insurance: my medical insurance paid not only all of the bills 100%, but I came out a couple of hundred dollars ahead because the doctor always billed the medical insurance for more than his "usual" fee--in order that no one would have to make up the difference out of their own pocket.)

At nineteen, I was the oldest person in the waiting room when I reported to the hospital before dawn at 6:00 AM or so on the day of the surgery. Other than me, the waiting room was filled to capacity with Jewish 16-year-olds (both genders) who were getting their "traditional" 16th-birthday-nose jobs. (You have to be at least 16 because that the earliest that your skull is developed to its adult dimensions.)

Best thing I ever did for the physical "me."

Not only did Dr. Berman (who is now deceased) take off my Grandma's "Jewish bump," he also shortened my nose a bit shorter than called for by my then-chronological age. He told me I would thank him in my later life. I have...and I DO...every single day!!! THANK YOU DOCTOR BERMAN FOR MY WONDERFUL NEW NOSE!!!!!!!!!

(One of the things that makes many people look "older" is that their nose appears to lengthen throughout their adult life, so it gradually, year-by-year, APPEARS to be MUCH "longer" as people get older. My "new" nose was never actually "short," but Dr. Berman created the exact sweet spot where my nose looked fine back then, after the swelling and bruising went down--several weeks, in all--and it has CONTINUED to look youthful throughout all the years since. From my standpoint: Absolutely perfect surgery.)

The doctor counts!!!

True (and tragic) story: I took someone from my New Mexico family, who was visiting for the summer, to Dr. Berman to get HER nose done, because she was a very pretty girl who had a very bad nose for her particular face. She came out looking like a cover girl...and she was blissfully, blissfully happy (and still is). Her younger brother, who also wanted to get HIS nose done, went--several years later--to a local plastic surgeon in Albuquerque. I never saw him again, so I have no idea if the surgery itself was okay or not...but what I do know, is that he got some kind of fungus or virus or infection or SOMETHING from the surgery, and his nose (from what was told to me by the family) was like a "rotting banana." He took all the medications that were prescribed for the complications, but evidently, they either didn't help or they made things worse. At some point, he took all of his money of out his savings account, went to somewhere in the middle of Nowheresville, Texas, checked into a motel with cash under an assumed name, systematically destroyed all of his identification, and then drowned himself in the motel pool. His body would never have been identified except that he had forgotten about a single prescription container he carried with his medication in it and that was the way the local police finally ID'd him. I got a phone call in the middle of the night from his parents, soon after they got the call from the Texas police, telling me that Johnny had committed suicide.

The point of my story is: As wonderful as my own experience with rhinoplasty has been, it was because I got a very good referral to an INCREDIBLY good plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills, who worked in a VERY good hospital with top-notch standards of medical safety, and who had made his reputation by the consistent top quality of his work.

I don't know where I would take someone now, and you need to make certain that whoever does your nose, and the hospital it is done in, are both of top quality, and with impeccable records of safety and achievement.

So far as getting "used" to it: I liked my new nose a great deal even when it was all swollen and my eyes were black-and-blue...and several months later, when the rest of my face was back to normal and the tissues on my nose had shrunk to their then-permanent dimensions, it was obvious that (for my particular face and skull) I had gotten one of the great rhinoplasties of all time.

Finding the right doctor is critical. (And so is the hospital that doctor does his or her surgeries in.)

I wish you all the best. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 08:00PM by tevai.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 08:52PM

I've been told now for some 40 years how I need a rhinoplasty for a badly deviated septum. But I've had too many people tell me that the operation was a lot of discomfort with no appreciable benefit. Plus I don't relish having my sinuses stuffed with gauze for a week or more.

Date: January 25, 2015 11:38PM

Deviated septum surgery is a septoplasty. I had one of those too, because I also have a deviated septum.

They let me get a rhinoplasty at 14 because they determined that I'd finished growing. Otherwise I would have had to wait a few years.

Yeah, I'm not sure that I'd let them talk me into a tip lift either. That would probably be more likely to make you feel that you had a different nose than the one you're used to. I just wanted the bump gone too.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 11:39PM

My now 25 year old daughter had Rhinoplasty when she was 18. I was totally against it because of her young age,and she is a beautiful girl. Actually stunning.She said her nose bothered her a lot,and her dad took her behind my back and got her the surgery. She was miserable for a few days,but she is thrilled with it now. It took me a few years to look at her and not feel bad she had actually had the surgery. But...she got what she wanted and is very happy. And her dad paid the bill so that was an extra bonus.

Posted by: eaglejedi ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 02:18AM

Had my jewish nose redone almost 20 years ago. Hurt like hell for a few days, but after that it was fine. No problems since. Now when I see photos of my nose from way back when, I admire how much better it looks now. Won't discuss the vanity issue. I always felt self conscious of my nose, now I don't. I had a plastic surgeon that managed to claim mine was a deviated septum so my insurance paid for almost all of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 02:18AM by eaglejedi.

Posted by: anonanose ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:37AM

Hey, I'm thinking of getting this done myself. The main deterrent is the price, which seems to be in the order of $12,000. Is this about right, or are their less expensive (but still good) options?

Posted by: NoseJObGirl ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:55AM

My surgeon is board certified and very well reviewed, and he is only around $6000! I am in the Southeast though. He is Dr. Stein of Raleigh, NC

Posted by: anonanose ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:12AM

NoseJObGirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My surgeon is board certified and very well
> reviewed, and he is only around $6000! I am in the
> Southeast though. He is Dr. Stein of Raleigh, NC

Wow, that's pretty good! I'm in a different country... :)

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:35AM

Having a rectum transplant from a rhinoceros maybe be advantageous for some people (like David Bednar, for obvious reasons), but it may NOT be advantageous for you.

Please give some very serious consideration to the situation before proceeding with the procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1uIgbI2QY

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:35PM

The begining comments were very, very funny. So I thought the video was going to be sarcastic or a spoof or something.

My Isis, this needs it's own thread for anyone who hasnt' seen it yet. Lying pieces of waste that they are; I don't care how old the FP and Q12 are. They're the ones who are running the corporation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 03:36PM by dydimus.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 04:41PM

ummmmm..... the video does expose a spoof: Bednar is a MORmON ASSpostHOLE posing as an apostle. but in reality, it can be so appalling that the humor in the situation is completely overwhelmed. I am glad that you think that more people should see the video. (Feel free to re post it on a new subject thread).

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:41AM

I think your nose looks lovely the way it is.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 07:24AM

Your current nose looks fine to me...

Posted by: Nosejobgirl ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 01:39PM

Thank you so much. I think I probably feel like it is a much bigger deal than it is. I think I am attractive, but I always feel like it holds me back from being as pretty as I could be, and I don't know why, but I blame my nose when someone doesn't like me or when another girl is pretty. It is warped, and I know this, but it's how I feel :(

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:21PM

Seriously, take another look at your front-of-face picture. I know that we are all more critical of ourselves than is justified. It's hard to avoid.

However, if I were going choose a picture to fit the category of "a lovely person", that picture would definitely be in the finalists. Side views may be different from front views --- mine is, big time, and not in a way that I am fond of.

But any sensible (sensate) person who sees you smile is never going to judge you harshly against anyone else, based on looks. Looks are not everything. And you can't tell anything about a person on looks alone.

That being said, I've still got to say that that's a very attractive picture. You *look* like someone who would be a wonderful person to know.

Date: January 26, 2015 07:36AM

I never experienced any pain with mine, but I did look terrible with two big black eyes and packing gauze under my nose. LOL

Wow, back in '72, mine was only $1,000, although that seemed like a lot of money back then. My parents paid for it.

I was being bullied, being called Carrot Nose and Witchy Poo. Their answer was not to talk to the school or confront the parents of the bullies, but to pay to get me a nose job.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:42PM

I had mine done about 15 yrs ago. No cast (do they do that any more?). The worst is that during the surgery, I guess I swallowed a lot of blood (you don't eat before). So the first thing I did in the recovery room was throw up a lot of blood.
Mine was very unique experience, most people don't get sick like that.

The bruises around the eyes last about a weak. But mine was successful and I'm very, very pleased with it. Since I'm a man, I also had them put in a chin implant, which makes the nose look even smaller if you have a small or week chin. I had to pay for the chin, but insurance paid for the nose and most of the OR costs (which is probably about half of the entire bill. Anesthesiology is not cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 03:43PM by dydimus.

Date: January 26, 2015 07:15PM

dydimus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> during the surgery, I guess I swallowed a lot of blood
> (you don't eat before). So the first thing I did
> in the recovery room was throw up a lot of blood

You know what? I did the same thing, only it was after the surgery. I was lying in bed and they kept saying, "Don't swallow any blood." I said, "It's kind of hard not to. It keeps flowing down the back of my throat."

My Dad came to pick me up and I started throwing up blood on the sidewalk on the way to the car. I was like, "So that's why they told me not to swallow it," but I couldn't help it. LOL

Didn't wanna mention that part, but it was par for the course. I was fine after I got that out of my system.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:18PM

It occurred to me that I had better warn you about...

...the fact that you probably won't be allowed to take a shower or a bath, or wash your hair, or do any other real washing (especially with hot or warm water) for some days after the surgery. The wounds in your head need to heal to the point where they will not start bleeding again, so you will be given a list of restrictions on washing/shampooing which are going to seem inhumane. ;) (Even after you are allowed to begin washing again, it will be---at most---with coolish water with maybe a BIT of warmish water judiciously added.)

To me, this was by far the worst part of the post-op experience.

Go in to the operating room squeaky clean all over (it helps if, pre-op, you do NOT use any hair product other than shampoo and a BIT of conditioner, using JUST barely enough conditioner to untangle your hair)...and realize that the next time you will have clean hair or a really clean body is likely to be a week or more in the future.

On the other hand, the rewards can be REALLY worth it!!!

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:28PM

I had septoplasty for my deviant, um, er, deviated septum and my turbinates were trimmed. I guess trimming the turbinates makes it run faster?

Anyway, suffice it to say my nose was professionally picked. It took 10 days before I could blow my nose and, in the meantime, I had this gauze "drip guard" taped to my face, I guess because my nose was supposed to run faster, you know, the turbinate thingy? Or maybe it's because I wasn't supposed to blow my nose before it healed inside and it just filled the hell up so full that when the 10 days were done, it was like I just poured a nearly congealed saucepan of Jell-O out of my face!

Yech!

So, if rhinoplasty is that fun, no thanks!

Posted by: Boyd K Pecker ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 10:06PM

My daughter was self-conscious about her nose and she felt like boys didn't like her.

A few years ago, she had a rhinoplasty and it turned out perfect! Just a short period of healing. Her nose looks great and she is now married.

If you feel you want it, I say "Go for it."

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:40AM

My brother had a deviated septum and opted for a nose reduction at the same time.

The surgeon didn't do a tip lift so much as to shorten the tip. He looks the same only better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.