Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 11:13AM

how about telling me what you do believe in 600 words or less?
http://thisibelieve.org/

This I Believe Essay-Writing Guidelines

We invite you to contribute to this project by writing and submitting your own statement of personal belief. We understand how challenging this is—it requires such intimacy that no one else can do it for you. To guide you through this process, we offer these suggestions:

Tell a story about you: Be specific. Take your belief out of the ether and ground it in the events of your life. Consider moments when belief was formed or tested or changed. Think of your own experience, work, and family, and tell of the things you know that no one else does. Your story need not be heart-warming or gut-wrenching—it can even be funny—but it should be real. Make sure your story ties to the essence of your daily life philosophy and the shaping of your beliefs.

Be brief: Your statement should be between 500 and 600 words. That’s about three minutes when read aloud at your natural pace.

Name your belief: If you can’t name it in a sentence or two, your essay might not be about belief. Also, rather than writing a list, consider focusing on one core belief, because three minutes is a very short time.

Be positive: Please avoid preaching or editorializing. Tell us what you do believe, not what you don’t believe. Avoid speaking in the editorial “we.” Make your essay about you; speak in the first person.

Be personal: Write in words and phrases that are comfortable for you to speak. We recommend you read your essay aloud to yourself several times, and each time edit it and simplify it until you find the words, tone, and story that truly echo your belief and the way you speak.

For this project, we are also guided by the original This I Believe series and the producers’ invitation to those who wrote essays in the 1950s. Their advice holds up well and we are abiding by it. Please consider it carefully in writing your piece.

In introducing the original series, host Edward R. Murrow said, “Never has the need for personal philosophies of this kind been so urgent.” We would argue that the need is as great now as it was 50 years ago. We are eager for your contribution.

Submit Your Essay

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 11:21AM

Atheism, in and of itself, is a lack of belief in a god.

So, I believe that, with the exception of this belief, nothing I believe is dictated by my atheism and that I do not need to replace the belief in god with any other belief simply because I do not believe in God.

Beyond that, I believe that my beliefs are way too many to list, and none of your business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 11:24AM by MJ.

Date: January 25, 2015 11:26AM

Yeah, that was inspirational. haha

Date: January 25, 2015 11:33AM

If you did not get what you did not ask for, that is your problem, not mine.

To laugh at me because I did not give an answer to a question you did not ask is rather rude and immature.

You also make taoist look bad.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 02:14PM by MJ.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:13PM

+100 to MJ

personally, I believe Koriwhore should take a chill pill and get off his damned soap box

Posted by: uteman801 ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 11:37AM

I suggest you watch/read that to see what most atheists believe. He makes the point that everyone is at least some part atheist in that we don't believe in most of the so called "Gods" that have been thought up. Think about it...

Date: January 25, 2015 12:56PM

Yes I've read it. Dawkins says he's really a Pantheist, he just does this Atheist act to piss off Theists.
Thanks for making my point.

Date: January 25, 2015 02:29PM

Dawkins claimed that pantheism was sexed-up atheism. So, pantheism is atheism with some ideas added. In other words, to be a pantheist you must be an atheist. The reverse is not true, you do not have to be a pantheist to be an atheist.

Anyone that claims to be a pantheist is claiming to be an atheist as well. They are just stating that they are atheist, but have a set of beliefs that qualifies themselves as pantheist as well.

Claiming to be pantheist, is to claim to be atheism.

http://www.pantheism.net/atheism.htm

In the discussion as to my theistic beliefs, I prefer atheist, because it clearly and unambiguously states that I do not believe in God. It also does not my other beliefs an issue in regards to my not believing in god. I simply do not have to believe in anything else to not believe in God.

So what if Dawkins calls himself a pantheist, it does not exclude him from calling rightfully calling himself an atheist, which he does FOR WHAT EVER REASON. The fact that he may only call himself an atheist to piss off the religious, he still calls himself an atheist, and rightfully so.

To keep it simple just for you:

Richard Dawkins can use the word "pantheist" to describe himself as an atheist plus additional ideas ->OR<- he can use the word atheist (which he does) to describe is lack of belief in god, without adding on any extra meaning. He can describe himself with either term correctly (and he does) and not exclude the other.

More simply, in case the above was not simple enough:

Pantheism and atheism are not contradictory terms. Pantheism is a subset of atheism. Dang, I used an explanation that requires a very basic concept of very basic logic. I hope that did not over complicate things.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 02:57PM by MJ.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 11:34AM

Atheism can be defined one of two ways:
-- An affirmative belief in the lack of god(s)
-- A lack of belief regarding god(s)

The second trends toward agnostic territory, whereas the first it where the label 'militant atheist' typically gets applied.

The only belief worth mentioning in this context is that I believe that human civilization does not require a belief in a higher power to function for the good of its constituents.

Anything else I believe is either irrelevant, ideological, or political.

Date: January 25, 2015 11:34AM

The second way covers all atheists, the first way is only a subset of the second way to define atheists.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 11:35AM

I believe I'm fine just the way I am. I believe I can solve my own problems and run my own life. I believe empathy and reciprocity are the basis for all ethics. I believe I should try not to be a jerk. I believe I should help others when I can. I believe I should live for this life, not for life after I'm dead. I believe I don't have all the answers but that I don't need them.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:54PM

That sums up my philosophy of life pretty much. Or as a young friend of mine put it once, "Don't be a dick."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 11:54AM

I want to be free of, and from, illusions. I want a healthy balance of self-service and giving back to my community.

I want personal freedom, but agree to live in harmony with others, realizing that frictions will inevitably arise and need to be dealt with. This will probably be a never ending source of conflict and because of our genetics, violence will never end. But neither should our attempts to mitigate it.

One such mitigation might be fostering the elimination of the worship of ghawd, and those who claim to speak for ghawd.

It's far fetched, but making parenting an achievement rather than a by-product could be a step forward.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:55PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want to be free of, and from, illusions.

Perhaps it's an illusion/delusion that we can be free from illusions. ;^)

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:04PM

What kinda idiot don't get what atheist mean?

Atheist=Godless

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:15PM

I believe (i feel like Miss Teen South carolina 2007) that

Koriwhore should stop banging about atheism and find a new hobby.

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:17PM

sorry i meant to say "banging on about"

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:20PM

Gladly. Here's what I believe:

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:41PM

What do you mean when you ask, "What do you believe?" I believe in a million things. I believe that I'm sitting at this desk, typing on my computer keyboard. I believe that I have a pet cat. I believe that I live in my parents' home. I believe that I currently have banana bread baking in the oven.

Are you specifically talking about what I believe concerning our origins?

Science never considers anything to be 100% solved. They always leave the door open for new discoveries and new evidence. If they find that they are wrong, it's an exciting thing, as opposed to religion which rigidly tries to remain unchanged. Religions change only when forced to do so in order to keep themselves in business.

A scientist will begin by forming an hypothesis and then they will test it. If all evidence keeps pointing to the same conclusion and their peers agree, then it becomes the current working theory. We have the Theory of Evolution, or the Theory of Gravity, or the Big Bang Theory. Evolution does not explain our origins, but it does explain the huge variety of life that exists on our planet.

It's an ongoing study, where we learn more all the time. I can study Abiogenesis, or Quantum Physics, or the String Theory, which should probably be more of an hypothesis because that confuses the meaning of 'theory' within the scientific community.

But anyway, I believe in embracing the mystery. It's fascinating to read about the new discoveries which are made almost every day. We've been making enormous strides lately. We're working on creating the conditions in a lab which would mirror those of the early Earth. They've observed proteins forming which are the building blocks of life. They are not creating life themselves, but they may be able to create the conditions for life to form. That may not be far off.

I find the mystery to be far more fascinating that being told what to believe, what to do, what to read, what to wear, what to think, how to behave, etc.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:42PM

I believe I'll have another cup of coffee.

Posted by: In a hurry (Saree) ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 03:20PM

Please pour me a cup, too. :)

Date: January 25, 2015 03:24PM

But remember, according to my understanding of Korihwhore, if you add milk to it and call it a latte, you are denying that you believe in drinking coffee!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:48PM

I don't believe it's the function of this board to serve as a proselyting tool for non-atheism.

I also don't believe in believing.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:50PM

Aw... I think Koriwhore would totally join up with "us" atheists if only we could provide him with our creed and commandments.

LOL That's not what atheism is.

It must be confusing as hell to view this poorly understood "organization" made up of such a variety of people, every one of which has entirely different beliefs but can come together in refuting religion.
Just the other day on FB I had someone tell me I need to offer something else in place of the religion I am "trying to tear down".
I was like, Snopes.com? No, I don't have to offer anything else to replace a fiction. Not my business to tell anyone else how to live their lives, but I damn sure want to let people know when they've been swindled.

Date: January 25, 2015 01:09PM

Aren't we all being swindled to one extent or another?
The earth does not belong to us. We belong to it.

Date: January 25, 2015 03:07PM

I get the feeling that his only problem is with the word "Atheist" and that "problem" has become an ugly obsession.

He even claims that certain people that use the word "atheism" freely (to express positive ideas about atheism) hate the word!

Date: January 25, 2015 01:03PM

I just asked a friendly question. We're on the same side, nones.
I take Einsteins position and the Dalai Lamas, Sam Harris, Jefferson, Epicurus, and most of what Dawkins and the New Atheists have to say, like Bill Maher.
But thanks for confirming that the New Atheists sound about as inspiring as cranky old men.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 01:26PM

450 words to go . . .

Posted by: The investigator ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:18PM

Jeez Koriwhore have we offended you, are you sinning or have you been reading some anti atheist websites?

So what?

A lot of people disagree with you. You have taken a condescending tone regarding those that disagree with you. That is your issue. The fanatical way you bring up this subject suggests you are not telling the whole truth about your obsession with the word.

Sam Harris likes using the word Atheist enough to use it as a category on his page, so it is intellectually dishonest to claim that Harris dislikes the word when he uses it to fit his needs, actions speak louder than words.

Dawkins uses both the words atheist and pantheist. They are not exclusive, pantheism is a subset of atheism. It is intellectually dishonest to claim that dawkins hates the word when he uses the word as it fits his needs.

You can agree with whomever you want, does not make you right.,

And I am not on the side of people that make such intellectually dishonest statements as you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 02:56PM by MJ.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 01:11PM

Okay, seriously... To fight the "fears" that have been indoctrinated into my life, thought and actions. Joseph Campbell explains this in "The Power of Myth" On Becoming an Adult rituals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGx4IlppSgU

Carl Jung showed us that in all cultures and religions there are certain archetypes that we hold dear as a collective consciousness. We have to overcome these myths to find truths; just as the ancient philosophers did.

To bring it back to Mormonism, there was an essay written by a listener called, "The Problem Makers" on infants on thrones. It showed how so many times we are presented with a problem that never was a problem before and then the religion provides a solution to the problem that they just gave you. Eternal marriage and family sealings was the most prominent one. You talk to any person from a different religion or culture and they don't have the problem that they won't see their ancestors, parents or children in heaven. Yet the missionary shows up, creates a "problem" that wasn't the person's before the missionaries arrived and then they provide the solution. I really suggest people listen to at least this podcast, because here are normal, average people recognizing that a lot of the "Gospel" that they lived and preached is hollow words.
http://infantsonthrones.com/the-problem-makers/

Now I see that this is true in not only Mormonism, but in a lot of other churches and faiths. Man is the only animal that has a fear of death and so we keep trying to provide solutions on how to conquer death. This has been true since ancient times from Egypt's mummies to the Heaven's Gate cult that committed mass suicide with running shoes and Nikes to transport to the mother ship. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate_(religious_group)

So by opening up my fears, examining it, asking myself, "Why is this a fear?" Poverty, death, illness, pain, moving, children, food, etc...

As an example, I mean the religion of food takes on various sects to many people vegetarians, organics, vitamins, fake supplements, etc... has taken over a lot of people's faith in Jesus or is trying to lessen their made up problem of the food they're provided.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 01:15PM

well said kori.

:o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 01:15PM by Shummy.

Date: January 25, 2015 04:09PM

I'm a united, not a divider.
I'm on Malala's side.
I've got no problem with Atheists, just pointing out that Sam Harris, who inadvertently strayed the "New Atheist" movement with his book, "The End Of Faith" has a BIG Problem With Atheism, especially the kind of phoney "New Atheism" when there's nothing new about it. Socrates received the death penalty for being atheist towards the Gods of the State in Ancient Greece. How many atheists are being sentenced to death today, outside if ISIS territory?
I'm 99% behind Harris, who had the best response to 9-11, after the Dalai Lama, who I'm about 99.5% behind.
I have yet to see a more inspired and wise response to 9-11 than the Dalai Lama's response, which our Dear Leaders completely ignored. I'm 100% behind what Malala has to say about our screwed up priorities.
My whole point is best summed up by Malala, who told Obama years ago, before becoming a Nobel Peace Peize Recipiant,"Mr President, quit killing innocent children with drones! You're just creating more terrorists than you're killing.

Date: January 25, 2015 04:14PM

koriwhore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a united, not a divider.

Judging by the negative reaction to your posts, I do not really think you can make that claim. You have been very divisive here.

Date: January 25, 2015 04:12PM

Yes, Koriwhore says it well. 'Sam Harris said it, the thinking is done'

The problem is, while Sam H. TALKED about not liking the word, his ACTIONS tell a different story. Sam H. proudly uses the word "Atheism" as a category on his web page.

Koriwhore pretends to know the minds of others, but he does not.

Posted by: jimipaine ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 01:17PM

I like Edward Abbey's answer:

Belief? What do I believe in? I believe in sun. In rock. In the dogma of the sun and the doctrine of the rock. I believe in blood, fire, woman, rivers, eagles, storm, drums, flutes, banjos, and broom-tailed horses...

Is there a God? Who knows? Is there an angry unicorn on the dark side of the moon?

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 01:25PM

>> What kinda idiot don't get what atheist mean? <<

>> Atheist=Godless <<

I’ve encountered many godless people who hold ‘spiritual beliefs’ without equating them to any patriarchal, testosterone fuelled sky daddy. Isn’t that what koriwhore was inquiring about?

These ideas these athiests held included beliefs in reincarnation, an afterlife, a spiritual being having a human experience, parapsychology, astrology, fate, predetermined destiny, karma/dharma, meditation, energy fields, astral bodies, chakras, synchronicity, different levels of consciousness, enlightenment, and the list goes on and on. There’s a huge list of alternative based beliefs about reality that an atheist could hold and not believe in any god(s).

But I wouldn’t expect anyone to write about them here. Anyone who resonated with the essay writers ideas would never post and say so. And all the sceptics would just put on their Randi-pants, pull them up to their armpits, and hurl their abuse and mockery at the writer. So what would be the point? That’s the only possible mistake I see koriwhore making with this thread: these beliefs are personal, not really anyone else’s business, and likely not the appropriate place to discuss them.

But I do see the question behind koriwhores post here, and found it a refreshing departure from his usual direction (although his others post have generated some interesting reading and always fill up, go figure). For a fleeting moment, I even had high hopes this thread might have been interesting to read (it fell a bit short of that). It probably was a very valid question, even if it was a pointless one to ask.

The point I’m making is, there are many beliefs one can hold without having any belief whatsoever in organized religion or god. That’s what koriwhore was driving at I think, and no one obliged him, myself included.

Date: January 25, 2015 03:09PM

Not believing in God, does not address holding spiritual beliefs that are not associated with God.

God does not equal spiritual beliefs.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:01PM

Koriwhore, the tone, the manner in which you ask for an explanation of what atheists believe smacks of arrogance.

I believe I don't owe you an explanation.

Date: January 25, 2015 03:10PM

Never mind that he claims to hate the word so much, but he freely uses it convey ideas he wants to express.

As seen in the first word of his subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 03:10PM by MJ.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:10PM

I believe koriwhore needs a lot of external validation to justify his views.

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:20PM

I believe there's a lot we still don't know, and we should therefore not pretend to know these things we don't know.

Date: January 25, 2015 03:14PM

But atheism, using the definition that covers all of atheism, is about belief, and not knowledge. Your statement does not apply to atheism. An atheist can say exactly what you did without betraying his/her atheism.

Date: January 25, 2015 02:21PM

seriously
Is "600 words or fewer" too many?

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:27PM

koriwhore, you are still sounding arrogant with this latest comment.

We're not in school. We're not in your classroom. You are being pedantic.

Date: January 25, 2015 02:56PM

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 03:13PM

Good lord, but you are an arrogant prick, aren't you?

Date: January 25, 2015 03:15PM

I have noted before, that the best way to discredit Koriwhore's views is simply keep him talking.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 03:23PM

And you are right as rain MJ.

But his posts smack of the arrogance that my 52 year old self finds tiresome and off-putting.

The EQP, the cop, the boss, the politician, the DMV clerk, the snotty waitress. All positions, that if filled by somebody of weak will and stunted spirit, are people that are exhausting and unpleasant and insufferable.

See Percy Wetmore from The Green Mile for an example.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:36PM

I believe in Art and style and beauty.

I believe in love

I believe in truth

I believe in good wine,

good sex,

good food

good books

good friends

good music

Loud laughter

beauty and honesty,

and that a good love makes the world a beautiful place

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:45PM

Sorry, saucie. That wasn't in essay form as instructed. Snork.

(Nice list. Ditto to that.)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )

Annie: What do you believe in then?

Crash: Well, I believe in the soul. The c0ck. The pvssy. The small of a woman's back. The hanging curveball. High fiber. Good scotch. That the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a Constitution Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas eve. And I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days...Goodnight. [He exits]

Annie (with a voice that could melt butter): Oh my.

Date: January 25, 2015 03:01PM

Your obsession would indicate to me that there is a much deeper issue within you that you may want to address.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 03:11PM by MJ.

Date: January 25, 2015 04:14PM

Ad hominem attacks as a response to honest questions?
Because you sound EXACTLY like him, only you substituted Atheism as your preferred ego attached identity instead of Mormonism.
Thanks MJ for exaemplifying exactly what Einstein hated about 'Fanatical Atheists'
The majority of Americans are with Einsteun in hating you worse than anybody, including rapists.

Date: January 25, 2015 04:17PM

Only speculation as to the cause of your fanatical posting habits. It is clearly fanatical BEHAVIOR.

My note was not about the single question you asked, to insinuate that it was is intellectually dishonest (again talking BEHAVIOR, which is not attacking you). I noted that I was talking about your posting habits.

Why are you so afraid of looking inside yourself for the cause of the behavior, and why on earth would you think suggesting such things is an attack on you?

Mental health professionals around the world recommend self examination as a healthy part of life. Are they all attaching you?

BTW, claiming that one has an obsession is not necessarily a bad thing. If you were obsessed with helping the needy, I would not have much of an issue with that, so long as you were not trying to force your obsession on anyone else.

Then again, you are always referencing other people, it makes me wonder if you can think for yourself. This is talking about my belief and is not an accusation.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 04:24PM by MJ.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 04:23PM

I don't understand why the mods let koriwhore troll here for weeks on end. Hit that reporting button, people!

Date: January 25, 2015 04:25PM

I have and many of his abusive posts have been deleted.

I can't imagine what would happen and what the response would be if he were treating theists this way. Something tells me there would be much more outrage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 04:30PM by MJ.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 04:23PM

My belief is still in the oven and I am thinking it is nearly done, so here it is. I believe we are just another organism trying our best to survive. I am thinking, to define what survival is will require more than 600 words. Also there is not one single thing controlling an out come, but rather many things, each with its own design.

Posted by: ThW5 ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 04:28PM

I do believe it is wrong to pretend to be anything else than African apes, and that it is wrong not to consider very well what that means.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.