Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 09:49AM

Parsecs ?

Today is the 40th anniversary of the release of Star Wars.

Am I that old ?

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi opens in only 204 days

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2017 09:52AM by Dave the Atheist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 09:56AM

Yeah, we're both that old :)
And apparently after all that time, George still doesn't know what a parsec is!

When I saw the movie 40 years ago, I walked out and said I wanted to work for Lucas one day.
16 years later, I did just that. What a ride!

Posted by: slcdweller ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 11:04AM

Given Alec Guinness already had an academy award, didn't understand nor like the script, was doing it as a favor to his friend George and insisted as a pre-condition to taking the role he be killed off in the movie. I don't think it was "the role of a lifetime".

Lucas couldn't afford to pay Alec his normal fee so Alec Guinness settled for a % of the movie profits. A pretty good deal as it turned out.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 10:10AM

Star Wars was my introduction to Eastern Mysticism. For Alec Guinness, it was the role of a lifetime. Taoism for Americans requires blasters.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 10:13AM

Forty years ago I left a theater in SLC incredulous that I had been blown away by a sci-fi movie. No tin foil, no air conditioning hoses and no Zsa Zsa Gabor! And all I wanted was to hear the music from the Cantina scene about a thousand times more.

It was no Cabaret . . . but still!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 10:28AM

The first time I had ever seen a movie in 70mm Dolby stereo and a curved screen. Blown away doesn't even begin to describe what I experienced that day.
I too wanted to go work for Lucas and would have given my left nut ( and probably my right as well) to do so. ificouldhietokolob is my hero.
40 years? Holy hell we're old.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 10:48AM

Per the books. The Kessel run is through a dangerous area of space full of black hole and "gravitational anomalies". Most people steer clear of it.

Those that do go through stay far away from the "gravitational anomalies". So an average trip around would be through 15 to 20 parsecs of space.

Han being the daring pilot he is, flew closer to the "gravitational anomalies" and shave distance off of the trip.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 11:21AM

Apologetics can fix anything!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 11:44AM

I concur

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 10:53AM

Per the books. The Kessel run is through a dangerous area of space full of black hole and "gravitational anomalies". Most people steer clear of it.

Those that do go through stay far away from the "gravitational anomalies". So an average trip around would be through 15 to 20 parsecs of space.

Han being the daring pilot he is, flew closer to the "gravitational anomalies" and shave distance off of the trip.

Think of it as rafting down a river. If you take the left hand fork the river is smooth, meandering and safe. It is 15 miles to your destination. Take the right hand fork and even though it is only 12 miles to your destination, the river is full of rapids, whirlpools and sand bars.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 12:11PM

I have great reverence for this film.

Han cheated on the Kessel run, by going off course, going dangerously close to a black hole, therefor shaving off the distance normally traveled by other ships. He was a crazy man indeed.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 03:06PM

George and I are about the same age, and apparently saw many of the same Republic and Columbia serials in the 1950s.

I enjoyed the first one very much, and the second somewhat less. The third was completely forgettable except for Carrie Fisher's metal bikini scenes. I saw the fourth for free as a company perk--as described in a long-ago separate thread--and was so unimpressed that after that I lost interest completely: I haven't seen any of the others, even on television.

Still, 40 years; the series sure has staying power.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 07:16PM

My California stake president welcomed us to a young adult fireside and said, "May the force be with you!" Then he grinned and said he saw Star Wars the night before. It was so fitting, so fun, and such a wonderful time in my life.

Ah, my innocence lost. Where did those times go? Why did the Morg have to turn in and become so hurtful? Hans Solo's Boner.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 07:17PM

Yeah, know, I know... Yoda's Boner. There, you happy?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 07:47PM

I sense a disturbance in the farce.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 08:49PM

I was born in the early 90's, but my earliest memories were of watching "A New Hope" on VHS.

Posted by: wokie ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 08:56PM

I liked Star Wars that much I had my favorite character Yoda tattooed on arm

Posted by: anon in the minority ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 09:17PM

Hated Star Wars. Just hated it, even before any other episodes were filmed.

I found its message of cheap and easy "redemption" extremely disturbing. That Vader could somehow be "forgiven" of the destruction of an entire planet, and the loss of however many billions of lives, merely by chucking the Emperor down a shaft, was to my mind outrageous and appalling. (Even in a B-grade space fantasy.)

But I suppose that was just me. Fire away.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.