Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JustinM ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 08:12PM

I've noticed that both veganism and vegetarianism are kind of met with scoffs in the community and I even heard someone say it was against the Word of Wisdom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 08:18PM

Veganism, I am guessing, is viewed as a competing religion to Mormonism.

They do not even want the appearance of competition. Therefore, the LDS gossip/whisper weapon must be deployed.

Back to the funeral potatoes and green jello with shredded cheese, carrots, and tuna in it.

Posted by: Em10 ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 09:24PM

I'm vegetarian myself, and am still in the church for family reasons, and I do get scoffs when people find out. The most common argument I hear is "Why would god put animals on the earth if he didn't want us to eat them? Isn't it disrespectful to ignore his gifts?" Or something along those lines. I try to explain that I'm vegetarian for many other justifiable reasons, but usually they just walk away shaking their heads. That's my experience

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 16, 2017 07:49AM

Mormons are "big" on the whole "dominion over the beasts of the earth," and BS like that.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 10:31PM

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 03:25PM

I always wondered if that section of the D&C was written as:

A.) A response to something popular at the time that JS (naturally) ripped off, or...

B.) A response to some shortage or inequity that was happening in the LDS community at the time.

Posted by: dinamitecvx ( )
Date: May 16, 2017 04:03AM

No. The "word of wisdom" suggests that animals should be eaten "sparingly" and grain is the staff of life.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 16, 2017 07:47AM

I thought Joseph Fielding Smith was a vegetarian.

Posted by: PasserBy ( )
Date: May 16, 2017 08:26AM

Vegetarianism is a good, viable dietary option only, as Paul Twitchel pointed out, for those who have the enzymatic endowment for it. I believe an unwise application of it was one reason for the recent death of the pop star Prince. Most people don't have that endowment, or chemistry- one could perhaps interpret the story of Cain and Abel as a record of a new race, The Adamic, who unlike their predecessors, would eat meat. This can be cited as the beginning of the I'huan, or Warrior class of men- previously, following the Sacred People, or I'hin there wasn't meat eating. Nature has caused chickens to cause illnesses in humans, because we eat and harvest too much chicken. Generally speaking, we eat too much meat. Clairvoyant turkeys, enraged over what they've learned about the largescale slaughter of their kind, rampage certain areas- they are dangerous! The beef is not as good quality as it could be, due to the heavy use of beef in our society.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 03:05PM

I got criticized by my dh/tdm about using meat daily because the word of wisdom says it is to be used only in times of famine or winter.

I have also been criticized by my Mormon sil for avoiding sugar---"all things in moderation"

What is sounds like to me, both from what y'all are sayin' here plus my experiences is that anything DIFFERENT is suspect.

About the Abel/Cain adamic race thing: biblically, God gave permission for people to eat meat after Noah's flood. Before that every seed-bearing thing was for food.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 03:28PM

Prince's death had nothing to do with what he did or did not eat. It had everything to do with combination of medications he was on.

His death has been covered to the point I want to scream here in Minneapolis. Being a vegetarian did not kill him.

Posted by: ren ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 05:14PM

Vegan here. I went vegetarian when I was 13 and vegan when I was 18, and got a lot of weird looks both times (although I stopped attending church at the same time I went vegan). The bishop's wife was very frustrated with me, since she organized lots of games and activities involving food (for instance, bingo with candies that had gelatin), and I'd opt out of them on moral grounds. There was even one fear factor activity where someone brought live crickets for people to eat, which I sat out of (although I took the crickets home to feed to my pet lizard). When I was vegetarian she also had an argument with me about how "eggs aren't vegetarian," because she thought the chicken eggs you buy in a store are fertilized. Either that or she thought there isn't any difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs, since she equated the eggs sold in stores with chicks. The bishop's wife was not very bright.

Veganism and, to a lesser extent, vegetarianism, are associated somewhat with environmentalism and progressive politics here. I think that's partly why I got such negative reactions. People also obviously didn't like if I pointed out their hypocrisy of not eating meat "sparingly." My ward sure loved their annual barbecues and dutch oven cook-offs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.