Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon 4this one ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 03:42AM

Long-time lurker. Thank you all for sharing your stories, your wisdom, your laughs and anecdotes.

I've decided to go back to the Morg. I just can't shake the feeling that I might be making the biggest mistake of my life by leaving the church. There are a lot of things that I miss about the Morg, the hymns, the peace I felt, etc. Sometimes I'll wake up at night in a cold sweat since I left. Like I left my home and it may be too late to get back. I don't know how to describe it really.

Just wanted to thank you all for your friendship, wit, and humor and I wish you all the best in your journeys.

Best,
Anon 4this one

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 03:46AM

Sometimes I have nightmares that Im back on a mission. I get maybe two or three a month where I really believe Im Elder again.

Im always so mad at myself for going back to "finish" (I left my mission early)
Always in the dream I make myself stay and then Ill wake up.

I hate those nightmares.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:04AM

Some do go back but usually don't stay. We're here for you if you need us.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:21AM

Why are you calling it the Morg if you believe in it? I would have been scared to call it that when I still believed, and 'Morg' doesn't sound an especially enticing place to hang out in for peace and fun.

I wish you all the best whatever you decide to do.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 07:24AM

Kendal Mint Cake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why are you calling it the Morg if you believe in
> it?

That's what I was going to ask.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 07:59AM

It's an acquired taste, like coffee.

Date: May 20, 2017 08:04AM

Maybe cause the morg is where dead people hang out? ;-)

You know, the 'walking dead?'

Calling it the morg is aptly descriptive. :)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 12:26PM

Long time lurking will do that to ya! You see "the Morg" a lot around here. Maybe it's catching.

The way I'm reading the OP, the poster didn't say they still believe in it. They said they miss the feeling of peace, and the hymns.

Some people do go back and are happy they did. Others go back and see, again, that it isn't for them.

As many of us know, it can be hard to leave and it can happen that there are some things we miss.

Me? (A short term convert). I didn't miss it for a single second. But if you've made friends there and/or if family is still in, it's much harder to separate.

It's too bad with groups like Mormons and JWs you can't just leave. There are always consequences, like friends and family don't speak to you any more (or are not allowed to, in the case of JWs).

It can take some time to decompress from being in the group and then learn to find your way once you are out for good.

Good luck to the OP, I say. And sure, maybe s/he will still lurk and/or rethink, again, about being Mormon.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 12:31PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:29AM

Resistance is futile

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:36AM

I hope you'll at least think twice about dragging anyone else into that organization in the future. It's all well and fine if it works for you, but don't forget that your precious church destroys lives.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:37AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7BuQFUhsRM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 04:39AM by anybody.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:39AM

An example of making decisions based on feelings instead of relying on intelligence and knowledge...

Just don't give them any of your money.

Date: May 20, 2017 04:51AM

I went back once out of fear based decision after coming to the conclusion the church is founded on lies and false prophets.

It was positively one of the worst decisions of my life. If not for my going back however, I wouldn't have learned once and for all how destructive the cult is to families and individuals.

Being inside the jaws of hell was no picnic.

Once you've made the rational choice to leave, then return for whatever reason your fears override your reason, you will see it in a different light than before you left. Your eyes have been opened.

It's your fears and insecurity that sent you back, but not truth. Faith is a journey you have to make alone.

Good luck.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:54AM

I think I would have a very hard time sitting in church listening to them tell lies about Joseph Smith and latter day prophets and such. The fact is that the church is not what it claims to be, and I could never be comfortable there because of this.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 09:40AM

Some of us would stay away for their benefit, not ours. A little dose of unsanitized Mormon history tends to piss people off.

I could possibly sustain the leadership: "The men are idiots, but aren't we all? So okay."

Date: May 20, 2017 09:45AM

But then Jesus said don't follow blind guides. Or was that Gandalf? I get my story characters confused.

Posted by: not-a-mo-nomo ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 05:22AM

I once semi-went-back with the naive hope of being some sort of force for "change" or whatever, having an influence or some such idea, but it never really worked out. I was very alone in that effort. Maybe if 2 or 3 people got together and tried to change their ward, they could support each other but even then it's an uphill battle. Anyway it's hard to agree on what we want it to change TO.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 06:46AM

We will be here when you need us.

Like another said, please just don't try to convert others and drag them into all that hoop jumping.....

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 07:53AM

"Every port of refuge has its price..."

The Eagles

Gatorman

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 03:14PM

good one, gator. -edz

Posted by: Boballooie0691 ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 08:04AM

Amen to What Amy Jo said.Experience is the best teacher. I imagine that you'll be back. But what the heck? Good luck with that...

Date: May 20, 2017 08:06AM

Anon could just be yankin' our string, longtime lurker or not.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 10:15AM

This seems like repeat of a similar message that gets posted here anonymously every so often...

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 09:23AM

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 09:07AM

We've all gotta do what brings us peace. Life is too short to live it in fear or in an inauthentic way.

If TSCC gives you peace of mind, then do what you need to do.

Date: May 20, 2017 09:26AM

"Whatever gets you through the night, it's alright. It's alright." -- Non-LDS prophet

You can be a cafeteria Mormon. I know the feeling, it is peaceful. But just as with Mother's Little Helper, only take what you need.

What a drag it is getting old.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 10:11AM

Good luck with your decision; hopefully it will give you peace of mind. I think, though, "now that your eyes have been opened", you will return here and we'll be here. When you said you wanted to return, I immediately thought of a well-known scripture: I'm not saying that you are a fool at all, but this is the scripture: Proverbs 26:11: "As a dog returns to it's vomit so a fool repeats his foolishness". For myself, once you learn the truth, there is no turning back.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 10:20AM

Yeah, I don't quite see the point in that.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 10:20AM

It's easy to say one is going back but tougher to do.

I tried to stay in the Morg after studying and learning about all the dirt.

I couldn't sit still and listen to 'brain washed' teachers tell outright lies over the pulpit and in classes. I couldn't just sit there and take that! Try some good ear plugs or listen to music for 3 hours ---- that may work.

Good luck on your decision but there is no way I could do it!

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 10:25AM

I never found peace in mormonism! It's nothing more than an authoritarian, corporate, ecclesiastical CULT/criminal organization committed to ripping members off under the false pretense of God's one true church on earth! Remember, once the truth genie is out of the bottle, it's very difficult to return/blend in like nothing ever happened! If you do hang on, you'll likely remain nothing more than a worker bee who will never be trusted with any real responsibility! Your apostate history will follow you everywhere you ever go in the so-called church! Forgiveness in mormonism is superficial/not genuine! To believe otherwise is foolhardy!

My advice - I'd recommend giving this decision some real scrutiny before committing yourself to this obvious, well documented, mormon fraud! Why put yourself through anymore unnecessary CULT drama? I would also recommend establishing limits on how much abuse you are willing to take? In any event - good luck! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 11:03AM

What are you going to teach your children about religion? Going to conmdmn them and their children to a lifetime of false, dysfunctional beliefs and an additional ten percent tax on life?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 12:26PM

I personally would not want to feel "devastated" about a voluntary decision to go back to a church. That's not what any church decision should be about.

The things that you mention missing (the hymms, a feeling of peace) can be found in other church communities. Try the UUs, the ELCA Lutherans, the Episcopalians, the UMC Methodists, and the Presbyterians (PCUSA.) You can attend for as little or as long as you like and no one will pressure you to join. If nothing else, attending other churches would be educational and perhaps eye opening.

The first time I attended an Episcopal service, I saw a female priest at the head of the church aisle. She was in full ministerial, ceremonial garb and was welcoming congregants to church. I felt moved in a way that was deeply profound. For the first time, I was seeing myself as a female represented in a church authority position. I didn't realize until that time how much my previous experience (growing up in the Catholic church,) had been spiritually lacking in that regard. How devastating is it, week after week, to be viewed as "less than?" To be overlooked, or counted out? To not be represented? To be seen as only being fit to run, or participate in, your church's women's organization, which isn't even under the complete control of the women?

I guess what I am trying to say is that you might have a better spiritual experience elsewhere. Just something to consider.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 12:32PM by summer.

Date: May 20, 2017 12:30PM

I read the OP to say that what Anon was feeling "devastated" about was that it might be too late to get back to the home they are missing.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 12:38PM

Ahh. In which case, it's more a philosophical question, can you go home again? In which case I would say yes, but it will be a different experience than it was the first time around.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 12:49PM

I like what summer says here, and I agree.

I hope you find what you are hungry for---be nice to find it all in once place, or at least, find (the peace and the music) in a place that doesn't violate your mind and the need to be a free, honest person.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 12:43PM

Do what makes you happy.

'you' being the operative word.

Good luck. I know plenty of people who I believe are genuinely happy inside the church.

Date: May 20, 2017 01:14PM

I know plenty of 'em too.

They're different from me. I'm different from them. Live and let live.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 12:43PM

As others have posted, there are far better organizations to belong to. Do not limit yourself. Good luck.

Posted by: Bobbib ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 12:49PM

I don't want to be that judgy/cynical person but your post seems fake. HOWEVER, i could be very wrong. If it is true it sounds like you might be having panic attacks. Not sure returning will fix that but you have to what is best for you. Im thinking of returning too but i know its all lies. Yeah i suppose i can say im devastelated too but im doing it for my marriage.

Date: May 20, 2017 12:57PM

That's right Summer.

Only a cult would try to make its members believe it is the only way or the highway.

Going to church or synagogue should be a personal decision based on the inner workings of someone's heartstrings, not a proclamation by one religious creed over another it is the one and only word of God on the planet.

Anyone who knows anything about cults understands that's a technique used by them to control their minions. It is mind control and the poor souls don't understand they're deceived when they mistake the false pretenses and warning signs in lieu of salvation.

Whenever I hear ANY church espousing theirs is the only truth (same holds true for Atheists who brow beat believers that a belief in any religion is wrong,) the warning signs go up because I don't believe in absolutes regarding the forces that are responsible for all of creation.

It's enough to be. If being in the animal pack that is LDS actually does bring joy or in this case relief to anon poster, then so be it. To go back out of fear based ignorance is really not going to be rewarded with fulfillment, lasting happiness or joy IMO. It is delaying the soul searching by postponing the inevitable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 01:06PM by Amyjo.

Date: May 21, 2017 09:30AM

Mormonism is like a smoking habit. I was a 4 hour a week guy. Ignored all of the "experts" who told me it was bad for me. Ignores the warning labels. But had I kept going, I'd be just as dead as I'd been hit by a train and the "cigarette companies" would have my money. At that point, saying "I know it's twoo (cough)" might have rung a bit hollow.

Posted by: Boballooie0691 ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 01:14PM

Dang Amy Jo, how'd you get so smart? Very well written... It sounds like you've done a lot of soul searching. Heck, I guess most of us here have...

Date: May 20, 2017 01:18PM

Thanks for the smile, Boballooie. :)

We're all old souls on a journey to somewhere. ;-)

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 01:32PM

I understand, a time or two I felt something similar, however, when I brought up the topic to my wife...she simply said - "No I will never go back, to do so would be to perpetuate a fraud".
Simply put - true integrity prevents going back.

Find happiness in this life - peace out!

Date: May 20, 2017 07:03PM

I feel that way too, oregon. To go back knowing what I now know would be perpetuating a fraud.

Can't do it, even if I missed the company of fellow churchgoers. It's a bonus to me that I don't.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 01:42PM

Who said JS was a prophet? JS did.

That's what it all boils down too.

So that's what you're basing your belief / fear on.

Jim Jones said the same thing.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 03:15PM

pathfinder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who said JS was a prophet? JS did.
>
> That's what it all boils down too.
>
> So that's what you're basing your belief / fear
> on.
>
> Jim Jones said the same thing.

...right before he said, "OK, everybody! Drink up!!"

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 03:29PM

Relapse? We'll see you next time you check into relig-rehab.

I don't understand how people can sit there and listen to that mind-numbing pap coming from the pulpit. You can't un-know what you know.

You gotta do what you gotta do to feel that inner peace, though. Sometimes the blue pill is the choice.

I support your choice and respect you for coming here share it.
I hope you find whatever it is you need.

(Not convinced that was a legitimate post with the Anon-whatever log in. This is an occasional prank topic I've noticed.)

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:21PM

I would go back too if they could cut out the religion and assignments.

I like the culture and social network. I don't have huge urges to drink, get tattoos or whatever that is often encouraged here.

My kids now regret things they did that probably wouldn't have happened in church. I thought simple reasoning would prevent that, but they don't want to listen to parents, and would rather respond to their peers.

But yeah, I don't know how it would go to keep saying no to requests from leaders, and having to listen to BS for hours on end.

Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 06:14PM

If you miss peace and the music the solution is simple. Go listen to your favorite hymns at a park or in the mountains.

I guarantee you will find peace, happiness, and inspiration.

Don't give in to your fears. Once you intellectually leave you can never go back.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 06:32PM

You're always welcome back :) I'm more than happy to talk with you about your transition.

As some on here already know, I joined the LDS church just to see the temple. I'm not a believer in any way.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 06:57PM

Do let us know how you are doing after "going back to the Morg". If it works for you and you are happy there, what anybody else thinks doesn't matter. You do what you think is best for you.

Many of us wanted to leave but stayed for a long time for a variety of reasons. Part of it is a strong cultural, familial pull.

Yes. I too love the hymns. I grew up in a Christian church so I knew most of them when I joined. I was a musician most of my life (performing and teaching for four decades). I loved the music. In fact, that was probably what kept me going for years as I was the Sacrament music conductor and often conducted RS and Sun School also. I could overlook a lot of nonsense as the music had such a strong influence.

This is your life. You get to live it as your choose. Best wishes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 06:58PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 04:04AM

Just please don't let any bishop talk to your kids alone.

Posted by: toolazytologin ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 08:48AM

I am pretty sure I've read that exact forum post 6 months ago, It was also an anon.

Date: May 21, 2017 10:13AM

It's Sunday, time to rise and shine.

Hurry, don't be late!

Your destiny with fate awaits you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2017 10:14AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 11:20AM

This is a TBM trying to show us what true repentance looks like. He posts here on a semi-regular basis.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1521834
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1646256
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1786467

Busted, TBM a-hole.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 11:49AM

Ha, the writing styles sound very similar :) good catch :)

Date: May 21, 2017 11:56AM

Or maybe he's trying to show us what true hypocrisy looks like.

He said he's lurked and read for some time. So he already knows what we think of the church. He's said he's already made the decision to go back.

What do we do? Repeat all the old arguments that he said he's already read. There were some posts trying to convince him not to go back. A few criticized the criteria he based his decision on, including that it's emotional and that he's not thinking straight.

Why does that sound familiar? It seems like TSCC and its members did that to us when we left, and we didn't like it one bit.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 11:45AM

"Devastated...I'm going back to the Morg" why devastated? You need food and think the bishop will help with the bishop store house? The catholic church is more generous. Do you need a job and think that the church employment center can help? You miss your friends? Basically I do understand missing the "tribe" and feeling part of a group but once I found out it was false I did no longer want to be part of a cult anymore no matter how many fun activities they had. Service project can be done outside the church too. Music too. Basically everything can be done outside too. Tithing money donated to the right charity (I am not promoting anyone) can do a lot of good. A friend a mine is a hair dresser and she donates her time once a month 3 hours to a nursing home where she gives free hair cuts. She does it not because she got "the calling" from a bishop but because she wanted to.

In my opinion decisions should not be based on devastation although I do understand some are. I do not think I can ever sing "follow the prophet" after knowing all the bad things Joseph Smith has done. My time in Young Women was a lot of fun but it does not change the lies they are teacher there are other "fun" programs too out there. Good luck to you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.