Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 07:23PM

A sense of humor. I don't even care what kind: light, sarcastic, satire, parody, self indulgent, etc.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I found that for my own self preservation, I needed to find the humor in my experiences dealing with the religion.

I'd go so far as to use imagination/visuals to keep from taking it all so seriously. Here is a fun one. During those boring talks, and Stake speakers, imagine them standing up there in their green apron -- only! Then try to keep your face straight!

One of the things that struck my funny bone was finding out that Joseph Smith Jr claimed he ran through some woods with the plates he dug up in the ground because an angel led him to them. Oh and then, reading this chapter in Vol one of The Comprehensive History of the LDS Church by BH Roberts: "Joseph Smith was not the only psychic in the vicinity of Palmyra." (No kidding, you can look it up.)

I can think of dozens of other statements in the history records that I had never read or knew a thing about as a member. Nada. Nobody told the truth. I found that a bit humorous also.
Well, gee. I wonder why. WHO would believe that nonsense anyhow?

I also have found that there are great benefits to using my sense of humor. Humor/laughter actually has known benefits. It improves your health. Who doesn't want that?! There is a reason they say: "Laughter is the Best Medicine"! Want to relax? Have a good laugh. There are a lot more benefits.

One benefit for me, in particular, was how it gave me a new lease on life, a new perspective, and an ability to keep my self respect and self confidence cooking on high!

There was absolutely nothing wrong with me that needed fixing! And certainly, not by Mormonism.

The idea that I had to promise to "avoid all light laughter" in a covenant in the temple never did sit well with me. WHAT? What could possibly be wrong with laughter?

I asked my husband what "light laughter" meant and he seemed to think it had something to do with laughing at off-color jokes or something like that. Oh good grief.

So if you're not laughing, I say find a way to start having a good laugh at least once a day. I find it better than an "apple a day keeps the doctor away." :-)

And, I want to thank all of you who dribble a bit of funny stuff into your posts. It really lifts my spirits and keeps me finding the humor in a very, restrictive, intrusive religion that played a huge role in my life.

Really, some of the stuff in the religion is quite funny. Especially the early history!

Ok.. now for some Mormon jokes!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 07:50PM

Good thoughts, SuzieQ. :)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 09:40PM

Loud laughter, cussing, and cold beer are indispensable during the transition!

Date: May 20, 2017 09:56PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Loud laughter, cussing, and cold beer are
> indispensable during the transition!

I'd call that the therapeutic three! :-)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 10:57PM

really helped my kids and I during the bad years. My brother lived with us for a while within a few years after my ex left and he couldn't believe how much we laughed and the things we talked about.

I don't know that I've ever laughed about my experiences with mormonism. Maybe it is time I did.

Date: May 21, 2017 01:02AM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> really helped my kids and I during the bad years.
> My brother lived with us for a while within a few
> years after my ex left and he couldn't believe how
> much we laughed and the things we talked about.
>
> I don't know that I've ever laughed about my
> experiences with mormonism. Maybe it is time I
> did.

Take it from me. A good laugh about some of our experiences in Mormonism is healing/therapeutic and relaxing. Plus, it takes the sting away! Try it. You might like it! :-)

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 02:00AM

Thanks SusieQ#1. I love to laugh and enjoy others who have a well developed sense of humor. I agree with cl2 that it is about time to try to laugh off some of the weirdness that is Mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.