Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 08:16PM

In my city outside Utah, there seems to be quite a few middle aged and younger Mormon ladies, perhaps a few dozen, who talk about doing "energy work". I don't know what they mean exactly. It seems to be a mix of eastern philosophy/religion with its meditation and self-awareness, together with a belief in the movement or transfer of positive energy through the body or from one person to another.

When I hear about these uber-TBM ladies talking to my ex-mo wife about this stuff it makes me wonder how they square this "energy work" with the Holy Ghost and the priesthood.

Does the term "energy work" mean anything to any of you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 08:38PM

Reiki? Aura cleansing?

I assume it's a way for the women to have some measure of spirituality and power that the leaders and p-holders can't steal from them just yet, well, until the leaders decide to put a kibosh on it as debbil magic.

Posted by: E=mc2 ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 08:39PM

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 09:10PM

I play around with 'energy healing' and playing with body energy.

For example, if you need to settle yourself or a child down, you would put your hands about a foot away from the person and go from head down at least to your waist, normally 1 time but could do more if needed.

If you want a 'lift of energy' you start from the waist and move your hand up to the top of the head about 1' away from the body. That seemed to help this morning.

I have had some success at this but it is hard to prove based on what I have 'healed'. Don't get me wrong I do go to doctors and take medicine but this seems to help and I do try it before taking very much medicine or before calling a doctor for an appointment.

I did meet a Reiki healer in person. I did ask him a few questions about it. He told me he would never do any healing unless it was 'ok'd in advance' by 'God' as not all illnesses/people will be healed by any method ----- I found that interesting but scary. I look forward to meeting with him again to ask him more about that aspect and his experiences.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 11:06PM

energy work involves anal bleaching and knob polishing.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 11:52PM

I knew a bunch of lesbians in the 80s who engaged in such. They were all pretty nice. I think it might be effective on occasion.
How this dovetails with Utah housewives I cannot wrap my brain around.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 12:28AM

siobhan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How this dovetails with Utah housewives I cannot
> wrap my brain around.

This was my first reaction as well...energy work is plenty common in the same general areas as, say, yoga and general kinds of meditation and vegetarians and Whole Foods/Sprouts/family-owned health food stores are common, but I don't understand how this includes Mormon women in Utah.

There is nothing exotic about "energy work"---certainly the kinds of energy work that are used as commonly as (and often in conjunction with) Neosporin (etc.) and Band Aids. Anyone can do it, it takes about three minutes to teach, and children (kindergarten age and above) can be taught to do it in four or five minutes or less.

Around here we do it for things like muscle/cartilage pains (we just today, a few hours ago, finished moving an entire warehouse, so this is what I have at the front of my mind as I type this), or the kinds of ordinary-but-physiologically-complex situations where someone has stepped "wrong" off a curb and twisted an ankle, or hit an elbow, or accidentally smashed a hand with a load of books or a heavy saw that was being moved from one place to another.

You just get another person who takes a few deep breaths (to get into a "centered" state), visualizes positive "energy" in whatever form is most natural to them (love is popular)...

...but also, it could be visualizing "sunlight" or "moonlight" (if this works for the person doing the visualizing)...or visualizing actually inside the person's skin (if the person doing the energy work knows the interior physiology) INTO their muscles or joints or fascia or cells (etc.)...or visualizing some kind of pleasing and healing music vibrations (you don't need actual music being heard for this, you can VISUALIZE that you are "hearing" music and put THAT energy into the person)

If "you" (the person DOING the energy work) have permission to touch the person (this is important), then touch them as you feel best (could be fingertips, or grasping with your hand, or putting some part of your body against their body...whatever you feel is likely to be most effective), and then you proceed by whatever means (visualizing love or "energy" or whatever) transmit that energy into wherever the other person needs relief from pain (etc.).

Kids have been taught to do this for playground hurts: general kid-type falls when playing games, accidentally getting hit with a ball, whatever.

Maybe not immediately, but usually within one or two or three minutes (maybe up to five or ten minutes) the person who is RECEIVING the energy usually notices that the part of the body they were concerned about is feeling better. Most people also notice that the energy work helps potential bruising, too.

It is really simple...it has nothing to do with religion...and it pretty reliably works for ordinary, daily life stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 12:35AM by Tevai.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 11:41AM

C2NR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does the term "energy work" mean anything to any
> of you?

Sure.
It means people haven't got a clue what energy is, or how it "works."

"Energy" seems to be the current trendy word in the woo-woo "spiritual" community. They don't understand it, but they know it's "real" and that "science" talks about it, so they use it as if it justifies their woo.

"Spirits" are now "energy." They talk about "your energy" (a nonsense concept). Anything that used to be "supernatural" is now "energy."

They need a good physics course.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 03:23PM

Amen. I so agree. Thing about energy in physics is that it's absolutely literal and not allegorical or spiritual in the slightest. Energy is quite literally about the capacity of anything to influence the physical motion of something, in other words, basically about push and pull. Even on quantum levels, where it's weird, it's still basically how particles/waves are pushed and pulled around by various forces.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 03:58PM

Sex works better.

Everyday normal hugging of a baby or child or pet lowers the blood pressure of both participants.

Other than that....

Any invasion of my personal space (1 foot is too close) by another adult, other than a doctor or dentist makes me feel very uncomfortable! Unnecessary touching is a no-no, for me. It causes flashbacks of the temple anointing. The old woman actually touched my body under the "shield." I can still smell her breath.

Mormons seem to crave this kind of "guided intimacy". They like to feel each other up for garment lines, and are waaaayyyy too interested in each other's underwear. It's natural for them to clean each other's bathrooms at the communal ward house.

I went to an energy session in our neighborhood, with a non-Mormon friend. I think they called it "body-work", and it was more like mild exercising and stretching together. I ended up on the floor next to a woman with a horrible cold and nasty cough (obviously sick), and had to hold her hand, that was damp from wiping her nose. Right. That stuff makes me cringe. I change little kids' diapers and wipe their little noses, and clean up after our pets, and hug them do death.

Maybe those women are deprived of love and affection, and are longing for tangible human contact. Whatever works!

I had to pay $6.50 for the session, so that might be a motivator for the energy work leaders.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.