Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 03:31PM

When someone starts a thread by telling others here they're abnormal if they choose to refer back to this site to help them cope with leaving the church...isn't that abusive?

Aren't all people different in how they cope? Shouldn't we each have the freedom to cope in different ways without being criticized?

Should we continue to respond to a thread where a person is using abusive language to other people on the website?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 03:34PM

Abusive?
Not necessarily.
Obnoxious perhaps, but not necessarily abusive.

"abusive" can be one of those words that gets over used when describing something that is annoying, or frustrating..

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 03:35PM

Yeah, pretty messed up.

Condescending as hell, and probably disingenuous. I think some people are just looking for either 1) entertainment 2) or are mormon apologists.

Said person will soon be on this thread.

Date: January 15, 2017 03:40PM

To WIlliam: Exactly.
Except that said person probably is here just to gather a high # of responses before permanently leaving as he says he's going to do.

To angela: The guy is calling people here "addicts" and "second-rate."

To ERICKA: I agree.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 03:46PM

I'm guessing it's a young person by the way they write, and then call others out on their writing and grammar when there's no problem. Whoever it is, this person is not well-thought.

Probably a young mormon kid wanting to get someone's goat, or thinking they can get people to abandon their own recovery.

Posted by: ERICKA ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 03:38PM

If I were signed in and could use the report button, I would have. A lot of that sounded like personal attacks to me.

This is a site to come to for healing and to talk to others who have been where they are.

That person was being a jerk, and they knew it. I believe it was very intentional. If they don't like this site, they shouldn't subject themselves to it. It's obviously not doing that person any good.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 03:40PM

(Ok I see you guys are referring to a specific thread that no longer exists? I didn't see any of that, so my comments were more of a general nature and the use of the word "abusive")

Date: January 15, 2017 03:42PM

No that thread is still on here.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 03:54PM

At least once a year. Someone under a new moniker claiming that we're all this or that because we still need to process what we went through here.

It's minimizing, condescending, inaccurate and it never seems to help anyone but the OP get his or her kicks. Don't fall for it because it's intended to get a rise out of someone and make them doubt the need to process whatever level of trauma they are dealing with here.

Date: January 15, 2017 03:59PM

I agree. We all need to process the traumas we go through.

People spend time on facebook simply because they enjoy talking with other people. There's no reason people should be criticized for coming here even if it's just to talk. The person who started that thread is certainly getting his kicks by putting other people down.

We all need to stay away from people who start such threads. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 04:01PM

Not abusive, just a bit naïve.

Date: January 15, 2017 04:15PM

Isn't it abusive to name call? To call someone an "Addict" simply because they want to talk to other people on this website?

Isn't it abusive to tell other people who are recovering from a trauma that they are second-rate?

Isn't it abusive to tell another person "You Amuse Me" when they try to explain how they feel?

I think it's definitely abusive. The behavior of needing to put other people down and USING THEM for "Amusement" is definitely abusive.

Do we think EVERY person has a conscience?

The answer is NO they do not. Some people have very little ability to feel for the suffering of others. And some people literally do NOT feel any empathy for others at all. They look on others as little ants who are simply "Amusement."

Please see this 6 min film clip by a Psychiatrist:

http://www.fisheadmovie.com/watch1

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 04:18PM

Yes, I agree -- it's abusive.

Plus it ignores the fact that most board members *have* moved on, and the ones who stay continue on here for various reasons -- often to help others or simply for the sense of community. Who else is going to get another exmo, but an exmo? Some people come and go, and other members check in every now and again to let us know that things are going well. There is no one "right" way to do this board.

I really don't trust hit and run posters who criticize, but who don't have a history on this board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2017 04:18PM by summer.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 04:29PM

I actually wonder if it's a poster that was booted off the site by Susan and he promised to keep coming back and making trouble for the mods. It certainly sounds like him and his MO.

Posted by: josephsmithseer ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 04:54PM

Who would manipulate LDS followers or people being paid in LDS. Its in there best interest you just go away quiet in night. Do just opposite! Stay and play be loud let them know its not right.

Date: January 15, 2017 04:59PM

Good point!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 05:11PM

The RfM Board has become a great catharsis for both me and my husband. Lots of intelligence, common sense and humor to be found here. I'm so glad I found this board because it is helping us to heal and express our feelings. It's helped me to adjust to life out of mormonism. I've been out for 1 1/2 years now and I'm still trying to work out feelings of anger and betrayal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.