Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 09:07AM

Here is why i think the US could have a law suit against Mormonism.

It's not suing the church on the grounds of its actually beliefs, only on the grounds that it misrepresented its actual beliefs and in doing so persuaded people to part with money. Once it became clear what the actual beliefs were, people left the church. So this isn't a suit challenging actual LDS beliefs, it is about the misrepresentation of beliefs - something they have now admitted to in the form of confirmations over race and priesthood etc and a whole litany of teachings that were pushed as official but never ever were LDS doctrines.

Further, these were pronounced from the stand and in writings issued by the churches most senior leaders - directors. Hence like any corporation the corporation is directly liable for statements and commitments made about their products and services by Directors.

Parody example:

Lawyer: "President Monson, is it an official LDS church doctrine that Black people have their skin colour as a result of transgression or sin in some form of existence before they were born on to this earth, or as a result of the behaviour and choices of their forefathers"?

Monson: "No - we disavowed that. It is not an LDS doctrine".

Lawyer: "But your church did historically teach that right"?

Monson: "Some members did, but it was a mistake, an error, a false doctrine".

Lawyer: "Would these members include the Presidents of the church such as x, y, z, and confirmation in official letters from the First presidency"?

Monson: "Erm, i'm err, Yes".

Lawyer: "But it never was doctrine, and as the current President you can confirm that right"?

Monson: "That is correct".

Lawyer: "So what we're saying here is, that past leaders, directors of the LDS Church if you will, taught things that you now confirm were false. Would you say misleading, maybe misrepresenting the views of the church"?

Monson: "I like looking at ducks - where's my dog"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 10:18AM

I hear you, lilburne, but that is going to be one heckuva fight. Why? Because tscc has lots of $ to buy legal services of the highest caliber, plus they have their "own" lawfirm in SLC in Kirton McConkie. (does that name McConkie ring a bell?)

Yes, I would pay admission and buy popcorn for everyone to sit and watch a sharp attorney get TSM on the witness stand and give him the "Trey Gowdy" treatment for hours-on-end, but I really think, unfortunately, that it'll never happen...in the United States.

The psychobabble bull$hit perpetrated by tscc for its duration would come unravelled in a hurry from the witness stand (unless Lying for the Lard would rear its ugly head), but the legal folks would see to it that there would be "settlements" agreed upon well before a trial could ever get started.

Now ask those who have lost marriages, families, loved ones, homes, everything and everyone that they have because of the lies of tscc if a "settlement" is going to assuage their pain. No, wait...I'll field that one:

The truth, while it will set you free, can be very costly...and not just money.

peace out. -edz

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 11:31AM

Well said Mountaineer....

Gatorman
9-4
13-3

Date: January 13, 2017 12:35PM

Thanks, gatorman. How are you doing, brother? (and I mean that in a kind, sibling-like way, not the creepy tscc way).

Hey, any chance that you and I could talk...either by phone or in person? I'm currently in the northern part of the Carolina System, and I have to assume you are in the Florida region. I'm not averse to a road trip to commiserate with the gatorman, even if I have to drive 600+ miles one way to do it. Let me know. I'm always up for a good road trip.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 02:16PM

Email

belindaandrick@gmail.com

Email me and I'll send cell phone

Gatorman

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 10:52AM

Please read my analysis at
http://packham.n4m.org/lawsuit.htm "FAQ: Can I sue the church?"

Kay Burningham, an exmo attorney and author of the book "An American Fraud" disagrees with my negative assessment, but does not indicate in her book why she disagrees.

- Richard Packham
Retired attorney

Date: January 13, 2017 12:36PM

Thanks for your expertise in all-things-law, Richard. You are universally respected on this board for your kind and wise words. Have a great weekend, sir. -edzachery

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 11:27AM

My lay opinion isn't worth much but I'll give it to you anyways.

LDS inc does not sell a tangible item. It sells happiness. If I were Monson I would just say that they didn't follow the instructions printed on the back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.