Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iceman ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:57AM

Since Caffeine has been deemed never an issue with the word of wisdom, TBMS may find this delightful.
Makes great tea as well.

I'm just not a hot coffee drinker and I found this absolutely heaven and simple with easy cleanup and LEGAL in Mormonism- not that I give a shit about them anymore

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-40912R-Coffee-Maker/dp/B008J8MJZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484239863&sr=8-1&keywords=hamilton+beach+iced+coffee+maker

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:06PM

I love iced coffee, especially in the summertime. My crazy TBM family says WoW means no coffee of any kind. I grew up in a household where no caffeine of any kind was acceptable. They think coffee itself is evil, so iced coffee would never be acceptable to them. It makes me wonder what the Mishies tell current investigators? Give up coffee? Caffeine is ok as long as it's just soda?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 12:06PM by bluebutterfly.

Posted by: focidave ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:36PM

I was a missionary in Argentina, where yerba mate (also caffeinated) is very popular. When we'd teach the Word of Wisdom, we glossed over coffee fairly quickly, but basically blamed it on the caffeine. We would say how it could make you really jittery, and it was addictive. Most people agreed with this, so we moved on, but one time I had one guy call me out on it, asking why drinking yerba was okay then, and I couldn't really come up with a good answer. I think I claimed that the amount of caffeine is much less (according to caffeineinformer.com, it's about half that of brewed coffee). So it was a quantity argument (having some was okay, but coffee was too much). If he had known, he could have then asked if we can drink decaf (since it has basically none), and my argument would have fallen apart. I imagine I would have walked back my original statement and said it really isn't about the caffeine at all and then told him it's because Joseph Smith was called as a prophet, and that's what he taught. The whole thing rests on the First Vision then, which I think is how missionaries have to fall back once they realize they don't have any scientifically based argument.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:45PM

focidave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was a missionary in Argentina, where yerba mate
> (also caffeinated) is very popular. When we'd
> teach the Word of Wisdom, we glossed over coffee
> fairly quickly, but basically blamed it on the
> caffeine. We would say how it could make you
> really jittery, and it was addictive. Most people
> agreed with this, so we moved on, but one time I
> had one guy call me out on it, asking why drinking
> yerba was okay then, and I couldn't really come up
> with a good answer. I think I claimed that the
> amount of caffeine is much less (according to
> caffeineinformer.com, it's about half that of
> brewed coffee). So it was a quantity argument
> (having some was okay, but coffee was too much).
> If he had known, he could have then asked if we
> can drink decaf (since it has basically none), and
> my argument would have fallen apart. I imagine I
> would have walked back my original statement and
> said it really isn't about the caffeine at all and
> then told him it's because Joseph Smith was called
> as a prophet, and that's what he taught. The whole
> thing rests on the First Vision then, which I
> think is how missionaries have to fall back once
> they realize they don't have any scientifically
> based argument.

My 'inactive' sister went round and round with our TBM sister on this recently...the whole confusion about hot drinks and caffeine. Iced coffee is ok then? No. No caffeine. No hot drinks. But you drink hot chocolate. Uh... so then our TBM dad chimes in and says it's not about making sense. It's about obedience! Holy shit you should've seen the look on my face.

Posted by: Serge ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:07PM

My wife and I are in transition out of the church right now and I have been thinking about trying coffee and/or tea. It just kind of freaks me out for some reason. I drink tons of Coke everyday and would like to find a healthier substitute. Any particular iced coffee or tea you like or would recommend?

Posted by: iceman ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:12PM

Serge Wrote:
> My wife and I are in transition out of the church
> right now and I have been thinking about trying
> coffee and/or tea. It just kind of freaks me out
> for some reason. I drink tons of Coke everyday
> and would like to find a healthier substitute.
> Any particular iced coffee or tea you like or
> would recommend?

This might help... someone just linked it in another post but very informative.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/11/the-case-for-drinking-as-much-coffee-as-you-like/265693/?utm_source=atlfb

Posted by: focidave ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 04:39PM

Serge Wrote:
> My wife and I are in transition out of the church
> right now and I have been thinking about trying
> coffee and/or tea. It just kind of freaks me out
> for some reason. I drink tons of Coke everyday
> and would like to find a healthier substitute.
> Any particular iced coffee or tea you like or
> would recommend?

When I decided I was going to start drinking coffee, I made myself the goal that I would keep drinking it until I liked it. The first thing I got was a bottled Starbucks Frappuccino. Needless to say, it did not take long to start liking (since that's pretty much just a delicious desert drink). I tried a few more of the more sugary ones (Mocha, Caramel Macchiato) before trying to transition to ones that just have milk added (Cappuccino or a Flat White have a nice balance). Usually now I just brew coffee at home (since it's much cheaper) and add a little milk or a little creamer. Ideally, you want to get used to drinking it black (since then it'll be its healthiest). Try putting a tiny pinch of salt in the drink. It'll be enough to trick your tongue into ignoring the bitterness but not enough to alter the overall flavor.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 01:16PM

Oh that looks really cool. I have been known to make a pot of coffee before going to bed and set the timer on the coffee maker to go on and make my coffee several hours before I was going to be getting up so by the time I got up I could have freshly made coffee that wouldn't melt my ice when I poured it in my cup. Most of the time, I just make a full pot of coffee in the morning, have a cup of hot coffee and then later on in the afternoon put the left overs in a pitcher and put it in the fridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 04:49PM by kativicky.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 05:15PM

In warm weather, during the evening, I brew a pot of coffee in my regular drip coffee maker. Since it's hot, I can easily mix in the sugar I want and get it completely dissolved. I let it cool to luke-warm, then stick it in the fridge. Next morning it's cold, and doesn't get diluted by fast-melting ice the next day.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 05:16PM

Never have been a fan of it.

RB

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 06:12PM

i love coffee, i just have it with some cream or milk, no sugar, I love it, love it, love it. I don't care too much about alcohol - can take it or leave it. i don't really care about/for the flavored coffees, i just like plain old coffee. I also really like Thai Iced Tea.

Posted by: Serge ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 06:16PM

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking of trying straight black coffee for health reasons, but will try with a little cream and sugar.

Posted by: ExPapist nli ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 06:24PM

At a self-serve drinks station, fill your cup with ice and pour hot coffee over. Drink some and add more ice. Add creamer and sugar if desired. Works with either a cold or hot cup.

McD's started serving iced coffee at a premium price, and would not serve it without the too sweet syrup. I like mine better.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 06:25PM

I much prefer iced coffee over hot any day. I pour two shots of espresso over ice each morning and then a little cream. No sugar. Yummy!

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 06:36PM

I think the whole wow thing is ridiculous. That being said, I am grateful that I have coffee available to me all day in this Assisted Living facility occupied by, mostly, elderly TBMs, one of whom must have her hot chocolate first thing, every morning. She is also one of the most TBM of them all and, in addition, is extremely judgmental, especially of me, a nevermo. She has also told me that because I smoke, I'm going to be "over there with all those NASTY people" in the next life. I am shaking in my boots, as you can imagine!

Back on topic, I love iced coffee and drink lots of it in the summer. My favorite is to drink it with a splash of Coffee-mate creamer, available in many flavors. French vanilla is a sure bet for 'beginners', especially in iced coffee....enjoy!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:07PM

I like my coffee thus: Hot medium roast with cream and brown sugar....or with Baileys...or rye whisky.

RB

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:43PM

I don't like coffee [either hot, or iced], but I've always liked coffee flavor (in ice cream, etc.). When, as a young adult, I tried to drink coffee, my cup or glass inevitably wound up with a preponderance of milk/cream and sugar, which was obviously and definitely NOT good on any level.

In the last few years, though, when I learned that I really needed to begin taking in coffee as a part of my overall diet, and that I need to do this every day, I came to realize that instant coffee was a superb invention, because, if you...

Pour milk into a cup (I use cold milk, but warmed milk would work better because it would help the instant coffee to dissolve faster)...add a few drops of liquid stevia (Whole Foods 365 brand works best for me) to the cup...add in a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee...and mix a few times, it is PERFECT, so this has become a regular part of my breakfast every morning.

It tastes like a dessert, and has none of the drawbacks of regular desserts, such as added sugar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 10:44PM by Tevai.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.