Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 12:50PM

I started this in another thread, but thought it might be worthy of it’s own post in case people want to comment on it. I rarely start threads, so what the heckle…

I am wondering if anyone else has read the dystopian novel ‘Animal Farm’ by George Orwell. Do you notice any parallels to the plight of Mormonism? Where the pigs on the farm evolve from being fellow ‘soldiers’ for animal wellbeing, to being entitled controllers? How the pigs teach the other animals about ‘animism’? Or how about how the commandments changed over time and were tightened to ‘rationalize’ the pig’s behaviours and to tighten control? It reminds me of how Mormon doctrine has (d)evolved. The whole story highlights how the farm animals are basically unaware of what the pigs are doing to them, as they delude them and eventually take over the farm. Some of the characters even seem to show some similar traits to those found in Mormonism as well.

(From wiki…)

The original commandments are:

1. Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
2. Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
3. No animal shall wear clothes.
4. No animal shall sleep in a bed.
5. No animal shall drink alcohol.
6. No animal shall kill any other animal.
7. All animals are equal.

Later, Napoleon and his pigs secretly revise some commandments to clear themselves of accusations of law-breaking. The changed commandments are as follows, with the changes bolded:

4. No animal shall sleep in a bed WITH SHEETS.
5. No animal shall drink alcohol TO EXCESS.
6. No animal shall kill any other animal WITHOUT CAUSE.

Eventually, these are simply replaced with the maxims, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others", and "Four legs good, two legs better!" as the pigs become more human.

This is an ironic twist to the original purpose of the Seven Commandments, which were supposed to keep order within Animal Farm by uniting the animals together against the humans and preventing animals from following the humans' evil habits. Through the revision of the commandments, Orwell demonstrates how simply political dogma can be turned into malleable propaganda.

And then there was Boxer …poor Boxer – A loyal, kind, dedicated, hard working, and respectable cart-horse, although quite naive and gullible. Boxer does a large share of the physical labour on the farm, adhering to the simplistic belief that working harder will solve all the animal's problems. He has been described as "faithful and strong"; he believes any problem can be solved if he works harder.

Despite his injuries, Boxer continues working harder and harder, until he collapses while working on the windmill. Napoleon sends for a van to take Boxer to the veterinary surgeon, explaining that better care can be given there. Benjamin, the cynical donkey who "could read as well as any pig", notices that the van belongs to a knacker, and attempts a futile rescue. Squealer reports that the van was purchased by the hospital and the writing from the previous owner had not been repainted. But in reality, Napoleon has sold his most loyal and long-suffering worker for money to buy himself whisky.

Others characters of interest (although all the characters are of interest in the story).

• Moses – The raven "was Mr. Jones's especial pet, was a spy and a tale-bearer, but he was also a clever talker." Initially following Mrs. Jones into exile, he reappears several years later and resumes his role of talking but not working. He regales Animal Farm's denizens with tales of a wondrous place beyond the clouds called "Sugarcandy Mountain, that happy country where we poor animals shall rest forever from our labours!" Orwell portrays established religion as "the black raven of priestcraft—promising pie in the sky when you die, and faithfully serving whoever happens to be in power." Napoleon brings the raven back (Ch. IX) as Stalin brought back the Russian Orthodox Church.

• The Sheep – They show limited understanding of the Animalism and the political atmosphere of the farm, yet nonetheless they blindly support Napoleon's ideals with vocal jingles during his speeches and meetings with Snowball.

• Benjamin – A donkey, one of the oldest, wisest animals on the farm, and one of the few who can read properly. He is skeptical, temperamental and cynical: his most frequent remark is, "Life will go on as it has always gone on—that is, badly." The academic Morris Dickstein has suggested there is "a touch of Orwell himself in this creature's timeless skepticism" and indeed, friends called Orwell "Donkey George", "after his grumbling donkey Benjamin, in Animal Farm."

(end of wiki quotes, thanks wiki)

I guess I could keep going, maybe you should just read it. It’s only 120 pages long. If you have read it, maybe post your comments about it and if you see any parallels to Mormon life. I realize it was about communism, but it seems to have themes that apply to the morgue as well. I read it many years ago. But after refreshing myself on Wikipedia, I am startled by how many of the themes parallel the themes I read here about Mormon life.

It’s such a good book. Maybe every exmo should read it. It really is one of the best books I’ve ever read.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 01:17PM

I was Snowball. I was run off, but now I'm free.

The church leaders are in the house, and rank-and-file members are in the barn. Barn animals clean toilets and work in nurseries and canneries. House rich Leader pigs meet and greet with the business community. The metaphor is apt.

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 01:49PM

Together with 1984 these are my favourite books. Every mormon should read them. Regards

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 03:14PM

This and 1984 are my favorite books, but Animal Farm was the book that was assigned in high school English class. Now that I think about it, this is a good parallel with Mormonism, where the pigs are the church leaders, and the members are the other animals in the barn.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 03:31PM

Has anybody not read "Animal Farm"?

You do deserve high marks, however, for making the connections you have. Lots of Mormons have read the book and haven't made them (yet).

What's really funny to me is how the right-wingers promoted Orwell's work during the height of the anti-Communist hysteria; many of them were Mormon Skousenites, of course, and when they look at what the author was saying objectively, it gives them a real big wedgie in their you-know-whats.

Date: January 12, 2015 03:53PM

The characters show fascinating traits that might help explain how these sorts of things can transpire in societies. People don’t expect they are being taken advantage of. Different levels of education and wisdom, along with different intrinsic beliefs, all come together to demonstrate how it is allowed to go the way it did on the farm …slowly, and over time. It shows how dissenters are dealt with through various techniques by the ‘pigs’. It exposes so much regarding human behaviour.

I recall I could see little a bit of everyone I knew in the characters, and that was one of the most fascinating things for me when I read the story. It really shows WHY and HOW these things can come about due to the innocent and well-intentioned traits of human-beings ...er, um, animals. Well, that and throwing a few assholes into the mix! But even those people are sometimes just acting from their own instincts too. And then some are just plain malicious.

I read it back in High School, as an assignment. I’m going to get it again and re-read it. I’m stoked about it actually … it really moved me quite profoundly so many years ago. :)

Thanks for the discussion so far everyone.

Posted by: today's anon ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 07:33PM

After my initial disaffection, my re-reading of 1984 was a profound smack in the face--the parallels to mo-ism were incredible. I hadn't read it since high school, but reading it again was almost a religious experience. ;)

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 07:50PM

Even the fictional ones!

Posted by: checker of minor facts ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 08:44PM

I first read it in high school back in the early '70s. The parallels to moism have always boggled my mind. Especially the ever changing rules, and the always gullible members that desperately want to believe their leaders, even when their tales & stories are so pitifully weak.

Date: January 12, 2015 08:56PM

The thought behind thread this was actually to expose it to all the youth out there. Many people from my generation had to read it for school, so it is well known to us. With all the interest in dystopian societies among the youth today, with stories like Divergent and Hunger Games, I thought I would recommend it for them to read. Short, you can read it in a night, and with themes parallel to the morgue, I am sure the younger folk here would enjoy it.

As a kid, Animal Farm even reminded me of my own western government. I’m so cynical …LOL

Thanks for weighing in everyone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.