Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 09:15AM

http://www.twocare.org/review-tlcs-ex-gay-show-fails-because-it-is-the-gayest-show-on-earth/

"To my surprise, this show backfired. It may actually help the LGBT community, while harming the very “ex-gay” programs that this show sought to promote. The featured subjects appeared insincere, unconvincing, and gayer than Liberace in spandex.

Indeed, to my surprise I found the show somewhat enjoyable. After all, what gay man wouldn’t enjoy a frivolous hour of cute gay men ogling even cuter gay men? The wives, in many cases, were mere onlookers while their husbands cooed about one stud after another.

This was probably the gayest production I’ve watched since The Birdcage, with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane. Far from an effective advertisement for sexual orientation change efforts or reparative therapy, this show made a mockery of it."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 09:38AM

Are you saying that Mormons shot themselves in the collective foot again?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 09:39AM

I could say a lot, but I won't. I'll just say that this was one of the songs that was popular when I was "dating" my ex (the one posted in the article):

"So take a look at me now, there’s just an empty space
And there’s nothing there to remind me,
Just the memory of your face
And you coming back to me is against all odds
It’s the chance I’ve got to take
Take a look at me now."

(I plan on watching this episode.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 09:40AM by cl2.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 05:27PM

I know for some from your background find this stuff incredibly painful, so I want to let you know you're supported and loved.

BTW, even though I held back from blood-atoning that yayhoo on the Trib comments site discussing this show, some of my stuff was still pulled (as were others). I think the poster--who threatened me with flagging if I didn't mind my manners--was using tactics right out of the Gayle Ruzicka playbook.

My best one-liner--so far this month, anyway--survived, however.

"Being a 'Progressive Mormon' is on par with being a member of the Flat Earth Society but acknowledging the moon landings weren't faked."

Humor can be healing, but some folks just want to stay stuck in their emotional quicksand.

I'll have to see if my last post, where I questioned the credibility of the poster's claim that he was a) a gay Mormon raised in a liberal environment outside Utah where atheists were accepted and not dissed; b) a Mormon who'd never dated a woman, and...

Well, you get my drift... Cabdriver Confession: I love to bait narcissists because they're so hypersensitive and and take the bait almost every time. When the faithful are taught to lie from the toddler stage on, they continue to engage in it without even thinking about whether it's true or not.

BTW, Axel, those quotes were some of the funniest you've ever posted here. My compliments...

Date: January 12, 2015 05:31PM

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 11:12AM

This review is excellent. Not only is it a comprehensive review of the show, it's a comprehensive review of Mormon culture. Mormons' thinking and reasoning is so cult-specific, outsiders cannot comprehend its logic. This reviewer nails it, though, because he sees through to its essence: the all-consuming preoccupation with being accepted into a punishing, elite club.

I say again, this cultural incongruity with the rest of the country was Mitt's difficulty running for president. He was called a flip-flopper because that was the only term commentators could think of. But that term didn't begin to encompass the changing positions coupled with the pretense that the position had never changed. Mitt was trying to drag the rest of the country along with Mormon-style denial.

Similarly, this show tries to drag the rest of the country along with the pathetic need of TBMs to be accepted by an organization that disdains them. The reviewer describes the protagonists of the show as stunted, immature, and shallow, pursuing an insincere, inauthentic course strewn with victims; yet, in their own minds, they're towering heroes. They're psychopaths. The reviewer described the show as a "clown show." And that is exactly what's funny about clowns. They do silly things with extraordinary confidence, like they don't know how absurd they are. And in this case, "absurd" includes, "deeply sad."

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 11:23AM

Thanks for the analogy of the clowns. I always hated clowns and didn't know why they bothered me so much--"silly things with extraordinary confidence." I always found them to be tragic, not funny and your description brings it home for me.

Mormons do so many things that are patently wrong, don't work and are dangerous while smugly assuming that they are superior and the only ones with the truth.

It is truly sad. And I just want to say to them the same as Barbara Leavitt said in the review:

“Stop. It’s not fair. It’s not nice…it’s horrible to try to make people be something other than who they are."

I am so glad the show turned out to be its own worst enemy. Because they gay men are more than clowns, they are Judas Goats and I don't want the Mormons harming any more of our beautiful gay youth.

Date: January 12, 2015 11:21AM

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 01:44PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.