Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 12:19PM

I just thought of this as I was repling to Raptor Jesus's Sunday thread. What was your birthday's like when it fell on a Sunday while you were still in the church. Were you able to do anything special or did you have to wait? Did you have to celebrate it different in comparison to your birthday falling on other days.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: already gone ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 12:39PM

we'd do the normal stuff minus eating out. that'd happen the day before.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 09:53AM

Birthdays were treated like any other day. I still had chores. I still had to eat shitty burned food for dinner if that's what my stepmom made. There were no gifts, no cake, no parties, no celebration. A few times, my parents were on vacation on my birthday. One year, dad had returned from vacation and about a month after my birthday, he called me into his home office, picked up a packet of 4 pencils that had been sitting on his desk, tossed them to me, and said, "Oh yeah, I forgot it was your birthday last month," and he just tossed them to me. I can't remember if that was 15 or sweet 16, which wasn't sweet at all.

My parents, as long as I can remember, have always pretty much treated me as though I'm completely worthless to them and they couldn't be bothered.

So if my birthday was on a Sunday, I just wrote it off. Dad would be stuck at church all day in meetings, and my stepmonster was allergic to giving any sort of positive attention at all because she already thought we were spoiled little assholes and she didn't want us to think we were worth anything.

Yes, I'm bitter and yes, that was a sore spot for me. Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 09:54AM by dogzilla.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 11:11AM

Or they can have a cake with candles on Sunday but no big party or dinner out.

Some Mormons aren't very strict on Sabbath restrictions. Others are sticklers.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 11:14AM

My mother almost always had birthday parties for me, so I assume she did them on another day of the week. My aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents would come to visit (on my dad's side) and bring gifts whether it was Sunday or not. We'd have cake and orange floats for my birthday. Usually angel food cake as my grandmother loved it.

The last birthday I remember as an active Mormon, I was in the primary and I forgot they would call me up to sing to me. Damn. I hate stuff like that.

It is so nice not to have to worry about SUNDAYS any longer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 11:15AM by cl2.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 11:15AM

We got to sing the "zippity-ay and heidi-ho" birthday song in primary. I believe that phrase is reformed egyptian for "the sabbath trumps your birthday".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 11:19AM by hangar18.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 11:37AM

We went out to Dad's favorite restaurant often for Sunday dinner...and if a birthday happened to coincide, so much the better...maybe a trip to the DQ for desert was in order. The only thing Dad didn't do on Sundays, was farm work.

Ron Burr

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 12:24PM

That is the one thing that everyone told me as a young child was acceptable.

My dad's irrigation days were always on the weekends, but he taught school during the week. My dad always did farm work on Sundays.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 12:38PM

When you're farming, ya do what ya have to do. Dad would combine on Sundays when it was late in the season and the weather was threatening....and he always got the crop in and never put a tough bushel of grain in the bin. And yes, irrigating back in the pipe moving days took precedence over church. And he always figured God approved of what he did and didn't care what some self righteous TBM thought. I farmed 7 days a week when it was planting, spraying or combining time.

Ron Burr

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 03:35PM

The TBM's I know aren't that strict when it comes to Sundays, as they still have a cake at home with family members for birthdays that fall on a Sunday. They just don't go out to eat on Sundays, as to them, that's breaking the sabbath.

I wasn't raised Mormon, so birthday parties took place no matter what day of the week they were.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 03:39PM

We always celebrated Easter on Saturday. Which I always found funny since easter is supposed to be religious

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 03:39PM

Like a BirthdaY Bonanza..!!!!!!! Tons of people, tons of food,
swimming in the pool, lots of laughs , piles of presents....

Oh yeah. It was all good. We never let the church get in the way of enjoying a good time. Besides I lived in L. A. which is a bonus compared to growing up in Utah.

Mine were fabulous... just fabulous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 03:41PM by saucie.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 04:02PM

WE were big on birthday parties, so, no matter what day of the week the real birthday was, we would have the parties on Saturdays, so all our friends could come. Sleepovers were on Friday night, beach parties had to be on Saturday, so my Dad could help out. It just made sense. I had friends of many religions, and we didn't know what their Sunday rules were.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 06:07PM

This is interesting. I am not sure what I was really expecting, but definitely not these types of answers. Heck, they almost sound kind of normal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 07:25PM by kativicky.

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 06:41PM

Done on Saturday beforeb so as not to interfere with the Sabbath.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 06:58PM

"Saturday is a special day" because Sundays are dedicated to mormonism.

So, between the "keep it holy" and "mormon busywork," birthdays, etc, were usually moved up a day to Saturday.

For that matter... weekday birthdays were frequently moved to the closest Saturday to better accommodate parties.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.