Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 05:58PM

Circumstances can change. I think they have. Poor John, in my opinion, is not going to be excommunicated.

Just going on record. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 06:03PM

Just google "John Dehlin excommunication". You'll get articles from before the internet was invented. This guy is perpetually on the brink of being excommunicated. It's his thing.

It would be nice to actually see it happen some day so the poor sap can move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 06:04PM by rt.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 07:39PM

You may be right. I was thinking the same thing recently. We may be hitting a point where you can't just excommunicate those people you disagree with, otherwise there may not be too many folks left. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but maybe not.

Posted by: SuperBigGulp ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 08:09PM

He won't be excommunicated. He stopped going to church over 6 months ago. There is no reason for the church to anything now. He'll just fall under the rank of inactive members.

Date: January 09, 2015 10:00PM

Well, I don't expect John to give up that easily, but I'm guessing he'll have to wait 22 months.

I could see him attending again in order to give his testimony during the Sunday meetings.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 10:39PM

if he stopped and encouraged others with doubts to do the same that would be interesting...

Posted by: olep63 ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 10:07PM

One of the things I would like to experience, is to be excommunicated. I would love that. Too bad I am not a member of the church. :-(

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 10, 2015 10:05PM

Yeah, this is an every other week rumor - I'll believe it when I see it. And if he were excommunicated, all that would prove was that he was right all along.

Posted by: SuperBigGulp ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 09:05PM

You can take this to bank and cash it: He Won't Be Excommunicated. Period.

Once he went inactive, there is no reason for the church to do anything to him.

They parted ways, end of story.

Date: January 11, 2015 09:31PM

But they did meet with him and make threats after he went inactive. Though I agree I don't think they'll do anything more now.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 10:17PM

Not with TSCC eyes looking at future PR disasters with the rumbling of political theater on the horizon. Then again, TSCC has done a lot of things that just didn't make sense anyway.

Roll the dice and see what happens. The random outcome is just as good for whatever TSCC might do.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 05:00AM

Communicating in Mormonism is a one way street - they don't listen to God, they won't listen to you, and more incredibly, they can't listen to themselves - and MEMBERS are led or supposed to believe they are part of the traffic.

Ex-communication is their way of saying "you make us not understand or appreciate ourselves".

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 06:16AM

Dehlin has been getting testier of late. I notice that his FB things now are far edgier and critical.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 06:28AM

And in his interviews. He's now more comfortable laughing at the laughable.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 10:04PM

I just watched the episode of "Big Love" where Barb gets ex'd from the mainline LDS church. Is it anything like that?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 10:30PM

I especially love Steve Voss' answer to his dad the stake president, "We've gone well beyond preaching, Now we're just being mean." or something to that affect.

I also listen to the podcasts on infants on thrones; one of they guys there told the story how they stood up in F&T and gave their anti-testimony. The guy hadn't been disfellowshipped or ex'ed so he still had the right to pray, talk and give his testimony without any harassment or censor.

I wish I could of done that, but I didn't know enough at the time because I didn't just resign but went inactive for a while before I sent in my resignation papers.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 11:22PM

Dehlin is an enigma. He was on radio west tonight talking about his research into how many gay LDS men are in unhappy marriages. He said something like 85% end in divorce and that bisexuals fair much better at not divorcing and enjoying the 'big nasty'. The focus in the broadcast was all about men apparently there are no lesbians in the church, women don't lust after other women, and it's all a Man problem. Women are the victims. Evergreen is for men. Shock therapy for men?

What about the women? (Personally I've known more lesbians)

Posted by: tjc ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 09:29AM

It looks like the print version of that study is out.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/lds/2050536-155/if-a-gay-mormon-marries-a?wpisrc=nl_readin&wpmm=1

The man seems to be kicking the hornets nest, repeatedly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.