Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 09:44AM

After some soul-searching I realized a lot of my posts of late have had a fairly condescending undertone that could be perceived as marginalizing for those who are just beginning their journey out of kolobianism.

At the stage I'm at now it's sometimes hard for me to relate to the anger, the frustration, and the hard times people go through when making their exit.

I think my personal journey on RfM over the past few years has come to a new plateau, one where I need to choose to either support those having hard times, or simply move on.

I've decided to be more supportive.

Since my prior moniker had a reputation for being a combative atheist with little to no empathy for newcomers, I've changed my name and I'll be a much better contributor to the forum.

This place is too important for me. I peruse daily, even when I don't post anything, and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

Kolobian is now Kvothe.

The truth will set us free.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 09:52AM

I noticed a gentler side to Kolobian including before you changed your moniker.

Kvothe is a nice enough name regardless.

May the force be with you, and with you. ;)

A rose by any other name is still a ....

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 10:46AM

May flights of angels sing thee to thy new resting place in this Tree of Life.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 10:49AM

I personally liked Kolobian. You taught us much about Kolobia.

Date: November 28, 2016 11:22AM

Thanks, cludgie!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 02:04PM

I agree! The old name always gave me a good laugh. I'm glad you're staying though, kvothe (but I'll never remember that name as easily as the old one). We're used to cantankerous atheists here {{jk}} and I didn't notice you were particularly cranky. Hard-hitting sometimes, yeah. Like asking for answers. Which is pretty much what most of us like to do. Otherwise, we might still be trekking to SM and schlepping around as VTs and HTs, hating every minute but not asking enough questions.

It's funny how we change a lot as exmos but as mos had to keep squishing ourselves into the same old box and growth was stunted. I prefer No Box. And I'm not particularly "rebellious". I just like answers (that make sense).

Glad you're still here. I wonder if I'd have recognized your style if you didn't inform us about the name change. I'm thinking yes. :)

Posted by: tbrown9163 ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 11:18AM

I've been on this board, off an on, since 1997.

I believe We go though different phases with this. There were times that I was angry/frustrated. And even times that I was afraid (mostly early on).

But now I would say that my phase is of indifference. I get on this site only occasionally and just to see where people are at.

Probably one thing is for sure, that wherever you are on your journey today, will eventually change.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 01:26PM

I think that aggressively pointing out contrary points of view and evidence is just as supportive as commiserating. Both accomplish the same thing, retrenchment.

I find that I feel better about myself when I think I'm right.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 06:44PM

I support you either way K. Your posts are genuine and thought-provoking. Keep it up!

Are you an ENTP personality by chance? I would guess so... and that's a good thing.

Date: November 28, 2016 07:28PM

INTJ, actually :)

Thanks!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 08:18PM

Anger is part of recovery. I hope to get through it soon.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 09:02PM

INTJ here, too.

I kinda like anger. It gives us strength to rescue ourselves.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 11:47AM

INTJs rule!

I agree about anger being a useful source of strength, as well as motivation; and like all things, it is best in moderation.

I have had times in my life where I would not have made changes for the better if not for a transitional state of anger. The trick is to not dwell in a state of anger long enough for it to become toxic.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 11:32PM

As I'm sure someone has posted before, Kubler-Ross's stages of grieving are very congruent with recovery from Mormonism--denial, anger, bargaining, resolution. I've enjoyed many of your posts and know that what is said here is part of all of our recoveries. I'm looking forward to what you have to say under your New Name. Best wishes, the Boner.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 10:34AM

Apitherapy (healing with bee stings) can be good for arthritis it seems. Maybe some stinging assessments here can do the same for our arthritic psyches while other get some salve?

Don't temper yourself too much. I always liked your edge and insistence on fact. Some people need a wake up and some people need nothing more than commiseration. Misery loves company and a fog needs a piercing light. It's good to know your audience.

Your moniker being what it was made me wonder is you weren't in danger of Kris Jenner adopting you. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.