Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 05:25PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 05:25PM

Good

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 05:27PM

Unsurprising, but still, not great. Sears appears to be close behind. The big retailers continue to struggle with modern realities.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 05:28PM

A friend told me today that Sears hasn't had a profitable year in 20 years.

Date: January 08, 2015 05:29PM

The whole "99% off today only" shtick got old.

Don't hyper mark up, then discount crappy merchandise.

We're not all fools.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 05:35PM

I don't see it as being a bad thing. The retail environment can change rapidly. It makes sense to shutter consistently underperforming stores.

Date: January 08, 2015 05:38PM

When I live it's the only tenant in a run down mall, that about to get a serious make over. The only other Penny's I know about is in Twin at the Mall there. I don't know how well either store is doing. I think the one in my town could shut down...It's across the street from a Wal-Mart!!

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 05:36PM

Date: January 08, 2015 05:37PM

If that's the case, then you have my sympathy.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 06:18PM

Those who cheer for any closing probably have not experienced a job loss. That's why I'd never cheer any City City Creek Mall even LDS related business closing.

Date: January 08, 2015 06:29PM

I feel bad for those who will lose jobs.

The company that I worked for in 2008 closed, then I got another job. They closed. Then another job. They closed too. Then I lost my house, my roadster, and had to live off of selling personal effects.

I'm back in the saddle now, so I truly feel for those who do lose their jobs.

But I do NOT feel bad for the nut jobs who run said companies. It's their choices that run the companies into the ground, like the "one day sales". Consumers are wising up.

Date: January 08, 2015 07:54PM

I don't think that cheer is the right word. More that I get what drives a company to do that. In my long working life I've lost some jobs along the way, so I do understand.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 06:33PM

Levi - please do not come to work for me. I heard LDS Inc needs to hire you.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 06:37PM

"Drink spew cleanup on monitor 4."

Date: January 08, 2015 06:39PM

Right?

Talk about a black widow!

But you can't keep a good bitch down.

I win in the end.

Posted by: anonsometimes ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 06:38PM

I knew it...this must be due to the decrease in men's white shirt sales!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 06:41PM

That and women not buying dresses and heels anymore.

When DH and I left church we cleaned a big load of "church clothes" out of our closet. We won't be replacing them.

Posted by: Indy_exmo ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 06:44PM

Is the original store still open in Kemerer Wy? I would shop in there when I was a missionary.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 06:45PM

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 06:51PM

Date: January 08, 2015 07:06PM

I bought a few exercise outfits during their Christmas sales, and used the ten dollar coupon...Much better deal than Macy's were you're not allowed to used any coupon on their sales and daily or door busters deals!...Ughhhh, I hate Macy's!!!

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 07:32PM

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 07:23PM

I'm not surprised. The generation of JCPenney's shoppers isn't the main demographic anymore. I've never even been in one. I don't know anyone under the age of 50 that shops there. I certainly don't know anyone under that age that uses the term 'Penney's'.

A lot of the big department stores are struggling because they haven't figured out how to appeal to a younger generation in at least twenty years.

Date: January 08, 2015 07:32PM

Hahaha, I'm younger than 50. When I went there a few times last month, there were younger people shopping...some mom's shopping with their teenage daughters. So I don't know, maybe it's just in my area!

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 08:18PM

Haha! Come to think of it, I think my mom tried to take me there for clothes a few times when I was a teenager. I probably told her she was crazy and made her take me to The Gap instead, since that's what was 'cool'.

Date: January 08, 2015 07:59PM

I've shopped there off and on over the years. I think that Penny's has gone to great lengths to come up with some appealing lines. My local store looks great. The last CEO nearly drove the company into the ground with his pricing policy, but I think that the current CEO is on the right track.

Sears does some things very well, but the stores need help in certain areas. Macy's is trying harder to reach the same demographic that shops Penny's and Sears. I've been buying most of my tops there lately.

Date: January 08, 2015 08:22PM

I agree summer. The store in my area looks great and very organize, and very easy to find what I'm looking for. They also improved their customer service! I don't know about Sears though.....I'll give them a few years before I'll do my business with them!

Date: January 08, 2015 08:00PM

I've called them Penny's since I was a kid and I'm under 50!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 07:29PM

Damn....gonna have to source my tightey whiteys elsewhere..been a loyal JCP undies customer for 60+ years.

Ron Burr

Posted by: WhiteBread ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 07:38PM

Where will the employees get new jobs?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.