Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tryingtobeagoodfriend ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 09:15PM

My Mormon missionary friend just got transferred to an area that's 2hours away from the main mission and Mission President. Will this make his life easier in terms of being able to go under the radar? He's not the most devout Mormon. Also, I'm trying to get him to see that it's a cult. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 09:27PM

Being a less diligent missionary depends more on the companion than it does on the distance from the mission home.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 10:41AM

Bingo.

He'll be with a companion 24 hours a day. With a gung-ho TBM companion, any slight deviation from the oppressive rules will be immediately phoned into the MP. With a laid-back one, he could have lots of wiggle room.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 09:30PM

"Will this make his life easier in terms of being able to go under the radar?" probably not. 2 hours isn't very far. In my mission we had an area that was all day through the blue ridge mountains on winding roads. Many of the state highways were dirt in those days as well. And after dark we'd see the guys walking the highways in white bedsheets and pointed masks carrying crosses. All the "coloreds" had been run out of the county.

Sounds like 1930's,... but no this was less than 20 years ago, I'm not exaggerating. lol!

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 11:10AM

With what is going on in the country right now, I believe every word you say about the guys in sheets. Wish I didn't.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 10:51AM

Maybe it's better if he doesn't go under the radar. If he's not so gung-ho and he's under scrutiny all the time, it might help him wake up and realize its not where he wants to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 10:52AM by KiNeverMo.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 11:15AM

In my mission, the first president would send "bad boys" to the farthest remote part of the mission as punishment.

The second president would bring the "bad boys" as close to him as possible to keep an eye on them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.