Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: overit ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 07:26AM

I can't remember all the theme and values as it has been a while since I "graduated"yw with my young women's recognition award. What is the worst thing about repeating the theme every week like parrots?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 09:50AM

overit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't remember all the theme and values as it
> has been a while since I "graduated"yw with my
> young women's recognition award. What is the worst
> thing about repeating the theme every week like
> parrots?
===================================
Training to be a Stepford wife?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 11:12AM

Being told what to think rather than deciding for ourselves what our values are.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 01:17PM

BINGO. The YW theme was after my time. But I was in the YW presidency when my daughters were in it and had to repeat it with the girls. I was a very liberal mormon by then and the chanting of that stupid theme would send shivers up my spine. I hated that their "values" were some chant that someone else taught them.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 02:43PM

https://www.lds.org/young-women/personal-progress/young-women-theme?lang=eng

Here it is, just for you. If you click on the list at the right, it will tell you how to DO everything you need to do in order to live the theme.

One of the things they want you to do is PAY your tithing. Another is pick an attribute of being a mother and practice it.

Oh yes, and don't forget to be obedient.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 02:57PM

But don't fuck or express your sexuality in any way whatsoever because then all bets are off. Even if you're raped. Good luck with that!

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 04:31PM

They are doubling down on "HOW" to live the values. I took a look at the virtue section - god how boring for a teenage girl. Youth nights were fun in my day - when I went, now the "activities" are so serious is it any wonder kids are leaving in droves. Mind numbingly boring

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 04:47PM

As I understand it:

RS President = Laurels president
RS 1st Counselor = MiaMaid president
RS 2nd Counselor + Beehives president

Then, three girls in each age group are "Class president," along with a class "1st Counselor" and "2nd Counselor"

Do I have that right?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 08:38PM

the leadership in the late 1980s. But then it was then they transitioned to the new program and we had no manuals and no personal progress books yet.

I never did memorize that theme. I'd mumble through it. I hated that they forced the idea of having every activity something to do with a goal. If we ever had fun, we got in trouble. I would always read through the goals with the girls and ask them things like, "Do you ever babysit your siblings?" If they said yes, I'd sign it off. I thought it was just a bunch of busy work that these girls did everyday.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.