Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 12:13AM

So Alaska rocks! The food is great, there's a bunch of new and diverse people to meet. The living accommodations are not too shabby.

So interesting story. My group that I flew in with from SLC to the eventual Valdez, are all mormons as far as having their names on record, same as I. There are 8 of us. We range from 17-22 years of age. We come from Utah, Maine, and Texas.

Amazingly enough, only 3 of the 8 are TBM's. Two are young women that aren't as staunch, and then there is the 22 year old RM, who is also one of my 5 roommates.

Two of the boys that are my age are going to be going on missions, they don't believe, but are trying to not disappoint their families.

The funny thing is this, the TBM's are now a tiny minority here, but in this case they are not being judged or oppressed by anybody. Heck, 3 of my roommates drink in the dorm rooms, just beer and not to excess. We swear a lot. It is such a new environment for these kids, and for me I guess.

It feels good here. I feel like I have a ton of freedoms. I can watch whatever videos I want, listen to whatever kind of music I want. I can now practice Germanic Paganry unrestricted, and it feels like my spiritual side feels like it can breathe. I don't have to read scriptures, pray to a God I don't believe in, or attend church or mutual. I instead spend it exercising, exploring the beautiful town that is Valdez, or or whatever I damned well please when I'm off work.

Yeah, at times I do miss home and my family, but I'm happy here. My mother just mailed a package containing a quilt for me, so I can have something to open on my Birthday on Monday (Holy shit I'm turning 18!)

I'm now going to head back to my dorm, charge my phone, shower, and relax, then go to sleep. I get to work tomorrow and make some money!

Catch you all later!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 12:20AM

WTF is "germanic paganry" ?

Posted by: byuatheist ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 12:32AM

Probably worship of the Germanic gods.

Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 01:30AM

Indeed

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 01:37AM

Welcome to adulthood! :) Well, baby adulthood. But it's all good.

Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 03:20AM

So happy for you! Savor this time and have one hell of a birthday! <3

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 03:26AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 04:27AM

Hee Hee Hee! I hope they catch you 'doing' RfM! Especially the ones too chicken to disappoint their families...

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 04, 2016 09:08AM

Maybe they catch you doing one of the girls. Maybe two girls same time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.