Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: religulous ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:19PM

I had dinner with a friend who is lds. I don't think she really brought up religion before. I was drinking a raspberry iced tea. Apparently this is a sin? She invited me to go to church. I was a member for a very short time. I played dumb and told her I do go to church... Worship services on Sunday at the Methodist church. I also told her I resigned my Mormon membership a long time ago... I self-exed by writing to SLC. I then told her I don't follow the word of wisdom and that its ok to have a glass of Pinot Grigio wih my dinner. She said that not following the wow means you can't hear God clearly. I said that this will soon change in our lifetime since tscc is ever changing. She told me no... That doctrine never, ever changes. I didn't want to argue because we agreed to meet up so that she could tell me some good news about her new job.
I feel so bad for her. We are both in the research industry and I don't understand how having data to support your theory doesn't transfer over to your personal life and beliefs. If we don't have data, we can't support our conclusions.... What data does tscc have? Why can't Mormons apply this to real life? How fragile is the human mind?
Also, the last thing I want to do is crush people's dreams. Religion is a personal relationship between a person and what they believe (aka God). I don't want to take that away from anyone no matter how far fetched religion seems. I believe they should come to this conclusion on their own. I know I did partly thanks to tscc which lead me to new age occult religions, which in turn lead me to become a secular humanist. I threw the baby out with the bath water a long time ago. No more religion for me and I'm so happy not being limited by fairy tales and deities.

But, yeah... Iced tea. I was sinning by drinking iced tea. In addition, the waiter gave me a refill. That's two sins in a row. I still can't get over it. I was made to feel bad due to iced tea.

Maybe I somewhat planted the seed of doubt? I know for a fact she's had wine, before.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:29PM

I remember going to neighbors house when I was 7 maybe 8. Her mom was making iced tea..sun tea is probably more accurate. I was so curious about it. She filled her glass with ice and lemon slices. It looked really refreshing. I asked my parents about that beverage later that evening. Scared s#itless to ever sip the stuff for years. Mountain dew was also just as bad, but not Dr pepper. Confusing right? Crazy upbringing..love ice tea today.

Posted by: nomorefencesitting ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 02:25AM

My mom used to have this woman (also LDS but was married to a nonmo) babysit me when she would go to town. One day she came to pick me up and found that the lady had given me iced tea. I remember thinking how wonderful that drink was and how mad my mom got at the lady. It confused me. Poor lady was never asked to watch me again. My mom drinks "herbal tea" from Sunrider all the time though and I can't get over how she can't figure out that her overpriced herbal tea is just black and green tea together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 02:26AM by nomorefencesitting.

Posted by: adequatesnacks ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 06:08AM

I "discovered" Barq's root beer in early '91 while on a spring break ski trip to SLC with the family. I noticed that it had caffeine listed as an ingredient but didn't say anything. A few years later, on another trip to UT, I noticed no mention of caffeine on the label. Did they change the formula just for the UT market? Very strange, but not surprising.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 12:45AM

Too bad you didn't order a long island iced tea.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 12:48AM

Set that poor girl free by giving her the gift of cesletter.com.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 01:29AM

If you drink tea you can't hear God as clearly? I did not know that. It sounds like the tea is functioning as an anti-psychotic.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 10:03AM

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 10:21AM

Since when does a mormon need to hear God? That's the leaders' job. Rank and file just need to obey the leaders.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 02:17AM

Instead of trying to figure her out, view your friend as a potential source of amusement (as in, I wonder what craziness she'll come up with next...)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 06:07AM

There's no need to keep mean disrespectful "friends."

Shut her out of your life and find nicer people to befriend.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 08:57AM

religulous Wrote:

> She said that not following the wow means you can't hear God clearly.

Some very powerful words are, "I disagree with that."

I would also remind her that while she chooses to follow certain religious rules, you personally are not bound by those rules any more than you are bound by Jewish food restrictions against pork and shellfish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 11:07AM by summer.

Posted by: rugglessroy ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 10:03AM

What I offten see is "Hot" caffeine bad. "Cold" caffeine very good. Hot coffee bad. Cold starbucks frappuccino awesome! What verse again says this? Btw french press coffee changes lives,get yourself one for the holidays.

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 10:27AM

She made you feel bad over iced tea? Wow! And you, a normal person, were concerned about getting into it about religion with her, since that is what polite, normal people do. You were too kind. Reading it made my blood boil, so I might have made a scene. Or, just to rub her face in it, in addition to iced tea, I would have ordered a glass of wine or a margarita. Or laughed in her face. That kind of ideology needs to be laughed at.

Her saying that about not hearing God clearly, clearly shows 1)she belongs to a cult and 2)she thinks she is superior to you. It would be so hard not to smack the arrogance off her face.

You need to hang out with friends who actually love and respect you and see you as a full member of the human race. Now that you know what an ugly thing she has masked from you, you can see how she really feels about you. She needs to apologize sincerely for having treated you so badly.

Posted by: raisedbyjackmormons ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 11:09AM

It was disrespectful of her to scold you for drinking what the rest of the world considers a wholesome beverage. She apparently considers herself superior and wanted you to know. I'd let her know that you didn't appreciate the comment. It would be exactly like a Jewish friend scolding you for not eating kosher. Who would tolerate that?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.