Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:54PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:01PM

First, you have to have consensus on what "good" is.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:08PM

Second, you have to have consensus on what "God" is.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:15PM

Third, you have to have consensus on what "intelligence" is.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 10:49PM

Lets start with

Allowing thousands of innocent children to suffer the horrible death by starvation == bad

Preventing thousands of innocent Children from suffering the horrible death by starvation == Good

Given thousands of innocent children die the horrible death by starvation and god allows this, is god good or bad?

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:03PM

Or that we're making up the concept as we go along? That there isn't a Goodness currently beyond our range of understanding?

Date: December 20, 2014 08:20PM

As well as what does it mean to you?

(Educational psychologist Tobin Hart, relying on the philosophical tradition, has defined it as involving "the ability to use information and knowledge (patterns of information) and also the ability to create it: intelligence shapes, changes, and constructs knowledge...knowledge can be taken out of context, recontextualized, and constructed for one's own uses" --"From Information to Transformation: Education for the Evolution of Consciousness," 2001, p. 63. By the way, intelligence is not the highest step.)

Date: December 20, 2014 08:38PM

Elizabeth Kolbert, in her book The Sixth Extinction – An Unnatural History makes the connection between our current race towards extinction and the emergence of the modern ‘thinking’ man who took over from Neanderthal man. I have read other books which ponder the difference between our modern age of reason and older Egyptian style symbolic thinking.

These readings certainly raised interesting questions for me.

Is intelligence intelligent? Is reason reasonable?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:15PM

God is one vowel short of good.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:26PM

Does that carry the same meaning as the phrase "A few cards short of a full deck"?

Date: December 20, 2014 08:16PM

Date: December 20, 2014 08:24PM

You are attacking a very limited human conception, and one certainly not shared by the majority of theists or spiritually-attuned people worldwide or in history.

Date: December 20, 2014 08:29PM

in the United States, but after the spiritual revolution of the 60s, the spread of new-ageism, and the widened access to Eastern philosophy and knowledge of world traditions, it is hopelessly narrow and dated.

Are you going to rail against the past...or be honest in your present inquiry?

Date: December 20, 2014 10:57PM

"Your presumption may have made sense a hundred years ago" Are you saying that God changed in the last hundred years, or are you saying that Christians have just redefined their imaginary god?

Date: December 20, 2014 11:00PM

Date: December 20, 2014 11:11PM

It is fair to limit the discussion to "is the Christian God good"

And regarding what you said in a closed thread: it is fair to quote the bible to people that believe in the bible. It is rather silly to assume that one should not quote the bible to a person that believes in the bible because the person that believes in the bible would be offended by what is in the bible.

That would include quoting what The bible claims Jesus said to someone that believes Jesus is love.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:21PM

What is that, a tongue-twister?

'If a bible unbeliever believed that a bible believer would not believe the unbelievable that the bible unbeliever quoted from the bible that the bible believer believed in...'

Date: December 20, 2014 11:23PM

It was an intelligence test and you just failed.

It was actually the "logic" you tried to use on me. But I don't expect you to actually stand behind the "logic" you try to use from post to post.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:31PM

An intelligence test is merely a measure. And they are typically flawed.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:38PM

Flawed or not, the test I am giving you does have a "failed" and you can fail it.

It depends on the parameters of the test as to the ability to pass or fail the test. An intelligent person would know this, but you seem not to.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:10PM

Huh ????

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:37PM

Nope. Let's not limit ourselves.

Date: December 20, 2014 10:30PM

I guarantee you, YES....
When Grant Palmer Thinks his Jesus is superior to Joseph Smith's Jesus, or Sandra Tanner wastes her life persecuting Mormons for her "real Jesus" sake.....
Yes, reason is reasonable....
We have ample scientific evidences what is fact and what is fiction....

Date: December 20, 2014 11:42PM

I prefer to limit the portion of my brain dedicated for reasoning to what it was designed for ...things like wiping my ass and not getting burnt on the stove. :)

Date: December 21, 2014 12:01AM

...as opposed to:

Look at this great fertilizer ...oops, sterilized the soil.
Look at these great GM crops ...oops, killed all the bees.

You know, the age of reason.

Two hands and a brain ...now there's a failed experiment!

Date: December 21, 2014 12:35AM

But the evolution of conciousness provides a possible solution.
And that is a job for the dreamers, not the scientists and rational thinkers.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:35PM

An arrogant question, which is, in reality, an attack. And a "shouty" attack at that.

It's actually not a genuine question.

For it presupposes that intelligent people cannot believe in God. (Or his goodness.)

Therefore it states that only stupid people believe in God. (Or his goodness.)

There are, of course, intelligent people who believe in God and some unintelligent people, too.

Likewise some intelligent people do not believe in God, but some stupid people do not believe in God, also.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 09:02PM by matt.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:45PM

It presupposes that theists are not intelligent and that you are. I find that arrogant and presumptious.

Date: December 20, 2014 10:40PM

Your statement presupposes that you have something intelligent to say. I find that arrogant and presumptious.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 10:46PM

This from Dave who never posts anything except insults. Geesh!

Posted by: Theista ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 09:33PM

Woof!

Date: December 20, 2014 10:17PM

Take a step forward.
It is your time to shine now......
(I promise I will refrain making fun of you)

Date: December 20, 2014 10:27PM

depends on which god you are talking about.

All gods are equally real.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 10:53PM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: December 20, 2014 10:47PM

Lets start with

Allowing thousands of innocent children to suffer the horrible death by starvation == bad

Preventing thousands of innocent Children from suffering the horrible death by starvation == Good

Given thousands of innocent children die the horrible death by starvation and god allows this, is god good or bad?

And if the entity is not able to stop starvation, why call the entity a god?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 10:59PM by MJ.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:13PM

If so, why is it there, when it could save the life of one of those children suffering the horrible death of starvation? Must be because you consider there's something more important for that dime. Don't blame God if you aren't taking responsibility. And if that God doesn't exist, why don't you step up to the plate?

This old starving children gambit gets old because it conceals your own role in the situation.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:19PM

I can not save all the lives of staring children, but if you do some research on this forum you will see that I have worked hard to do what *I* can to end the suffering or a lot of people. I have done what I have the power to do.

If we are talking about an all powerful god, we are talking about a God that can do anything without regards to priorities or cost.

No, trying to hold me to the standards and capabilities of an all powerful God is bullshit.

BTW, I blame God for creating the mess, then I blame him for making us clean up the mess.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 11:27PM by MJ.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:28PM

You dodged the question. What about that one dime right now? How is your next 10-cent purchase more valuable than one of those children's lives? Right now! Don't fall back on the I-gave-at-the-office excuse if you're going to use those same children as an attack on God.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:35PM

You just did not like it.

I am not demanding that an all powerful God spend the dime in his pocket, an all powerful god could end starvation FOREVER, something that is not in my power to do.

I have done all that can be reasonably expected of a single human.

God has not done what can reasonably be expected of a good god to do.

Again, you have a double standard for god. You do not hold God accountable for doing EVERYTHING that a GOD can do, but you hold me to that level of accountability.

Again, BULLSHIT.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:39PM

According to what "reason"? You choose to pitch verbal battles here as the most "reasonable" use of your compassionate energy?

Date: December 20, 2014 11:45PM

The only entity capable of ending starvation??????????

I am holding myself to the standard of reason that you seem to hold yourself to. If you demand every last dime to be spent saving the starving children, then why are you paying money for computers and internet access? Do you have a dime? Didn't spend it on the starving children? Then I am living by your standard of what a human should do.

Again, God can do something that neither of us can do no matter how hard we try, God could end starvation forever.

Why excuse a God that could end starvation forever and lay the blame on a single human that can only ease the suffering of a few for a limited time?

Date: December 20, 2014 11:52PM

And if you actually are, why this charade? Because arguing is really your "god"?

Date: December 20, 2014 11:56PM

For a theist, you do know all the logical fallacies theists use, don't you?

I said nothing about believing anything. I am simply accepting a premises that there is a god for the purpose of debate.

Guess you are a little light on the concept.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:20PM

It's the "god helps those who help themselves" argument. *LOL*

Date: December 20, 2014 11:31PM

Her argument is a lot like a family going to a pool that has a lifeguard on duty. Then three of their kids start drowning. Then each parent save one child. They start questioning why the lifeguard did not save the third. The answer they get back is "Don't blame the lifeguard if you aren't taking responsibility"

Date: December 20, 2014 10:48PM

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
— Epicurus, philosopher (c. 341-270 BCE)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:16PM

Nothing to fear in God;
Nothing to feel in Death;
Good can be attained;
Evil can be endured.

- Epicurus

Date: December 20, 2014 11:22PM

What I posted was based on the power of the particular idea, not who first said it.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:35PM

I'll bet it challenges the idicy of your legiticy.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:40PM

Oh my, is this the sort of behavior you call "good"? Is it what you would expect from your "good" god that lets thousands suffer even though God has the power to stop it?

BTW, what are you doing spending money on computers and internet instead of saving the starving children that you god lets suffer?

Date: December 20, 2014 11:46PM

Date: December 20, 2014 11:53PM

You are just trying to blame me for not doing enough when I can do NOTHING to end hunger[1][2], in order to deflect attention away from the one entity, God, that CAN END ALL THE SUFFERING FOREVER BUT DOES NOT.

[1] Even if I spend everything I made on trying to end hunger

[2] I am apparently using the same level of "reasonable" as you but you don't seem to like me pointing it out.

Why don't you deal with the question about God ending hunger for ever?

Date: December 20, 2014 11:56PM

you are bashing the irresponsibility of a "God" that you don't even believe in.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:58PM

And you are resorting to ad hominems

What I am doing is accepting the premise that there is a god for the sake of discussion.

What you are doing is blaming me for the failures of the God you believe in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 11:59PM by MJ.

Date: December 21, 2014 12:20AM

About those thousands of starving children: in the time you've devoted to verbal fencing here, probably 300 have died (at the 1-every-10-seconds rate). Or have they? Time to reexamine that cliche: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22935692

Date: December 21, 2014 12:27AM

Even if I spent all my money, I could only feed a relative few for a few days. There is no hope of me being able to END hunger.

What seems to be your god could end it forever. The fact that your God could end suffering but does not is evil.

Don't blame me, I can not stop it, your god can. Blaming me for something I can not fix is abusive.

Oh, and if you blame me, blame yourself. If you think your god is expecting us to spend every last dime on cleaning up its mess, you clearly are not doing what you think is your god's work.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 12:34AM by MJ.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:59PM

Someone or Something other than you has to be responsible for what you see as your problems with the way the world appears.

Date: December 21, 2014 12:01AM

What a desperate response, or childish, I can't really make up my mind.

As I have said before, I simply accepted the premise that there was a god for the sake of discussion. You know, something intelligent, reasonable people sometimes do in order to fully explore and idea.

You seem to have a lot of hostility towards anyone that dares question your god. Is that what your loving god would want?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 12:06AM by MJ.

Date: December 20, 2014 10:56PM

I wonder how the people desperatly trying to dismiss this question would have been so dismissive of the question:

How can any intelligent person believe that God is bad?

Date: December 20, 2014 11:02PM

Thank you. I knew you existed....Even on this board.
And Fu$$k the (any) God that rules over any Human....
They are all faKe....

Posted by: Aspiritualist ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:05PM

Allowing children to starve to death ==== a bad but temporary experience for an eternal spirit/soul.

Preventing children from starving death ==== a good but temporary experience for an eternal spirit/soul.

If we were talking of spirits/souls that only have 1 experience and die/cease to exist ----- the above experiences could be devastating but for 'eternal' beings the experiences are only temporary learning experiences!

It is hard to think with an eternal perspective when we are in these temporary learning experiences! In the after life with an eternal perspective good and bad learning experience may be more logical.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:16PM

Bad is bad, good is good.

Allowing them to suffer such horror is bad, period. Being "temporary" does not change the fact that it is bad.

I'm guessing you think torturing someone for a couple of years isn't bad because it was only done on a "temporary" basis?

Rape is bad, but do you excuse it because rape is only "temporary"?

Would you starve your children to death thinking it was temporary and they would be in a better place later?

Sorry your answer was really perverse.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:12PM

it's a bogus question that presupposes a god.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:38PM

Is everybody who spends a dime or dollar in the US unintelligent?
That's got to be the most arrogant, presumptuous thing I've ever heard!
God is a word that gets tossed around alot, like on every coin and every dollar we spend in America, to the point where it becomes a cliche that nobody even stops to really think about, except the religious nuts. For the rest of us, the word, "God' is just a word we use to try and describe the mysterious universe, which we have always tried to humanize.
It's what we do.
We're humans.
Get used to it.
I tend to see things a lot the way Joseph Cambell did, the power of myth.
Until that myth becomes dangerous.
Then it's powerful for all the wrong reasons.
As in the myth of Kim Jung Un's deity.
Fuck that pig!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:45PM

They have the ability to compartmentalize everything. If it's good, then God did it. If it's bad, then the Devil did it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.