Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Already Gone ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:38PM

On your story about Mark E Peterson at dinner :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:57PM

There isn't that much to tell, but if you insist:)

I spent a lot of the evenings and Saturdays of my teen years building the new chapel as my dad was the bishop and the members did most of the work as well as raise most of the funds. Everyone was pressured to give a lot.

There was a church supervisor and there were "work missionaries" the church sent who did most of the brick work. I did a lot of concrete pouring, insulation, roofing, etc. The supervisor and his wife had a trailer and the work missionaries stayed with members. Does the church still have work missions? I haven't heard of that anymore.

When the new chapel was finally finished, Mark E. Petersen came to dedicate it. This was before the three hour block and it was done during the morning, I guess at Sunday School or something--all fuzzy now as this was the early sixties.

After the dedication Elder Petersen and wife came to our house for what everyone would call lunch but we always called lunch dinner for some reason. (And dinner was always called supper.)

We knew he was coming and our old house was scrubbed and washed and painted in anticipation of his arrival. Mom was a great cook, I'm sure we had roast beef and home made rolls and all the rest was from our gigantic garden.

I was early teens in the early sixties, don't remember exactly what, and I have no real juicy details. It's just that even as a young TBM I had the feeling that he was "slumming" and just doing his duty. The conversation during the meal was very stiff with my family too in awe of him and him being not in awe of us at all.

I felt like a camera during it, disconnected, just like I felt during my endowments. It was just a young kid's impression so can't give it much weight. Who knows what he was really thinking. He and his wife were gracious although she didn't say a word the whole time as I recall.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 02:04PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: Already Gone ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 03:08PM

interesting thanks!

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 03:11PM

I know just what you mean about that dinner/lunch\supper overlap. Took me years to explain the usage to my husband.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.