Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blackwings ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 06:29AM

first off i am not a Mormon but i have many Mormon friends and i have always wondered about this. why is it that i have heard that they teach young kids that it is a sin to touch yourself as well as explore your own bodies? do they not relies that they are setting these young kids up for problems later on in their adult lives?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:00AM

WHY? - because they are EVIL !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsi-r1amY0

see what John Henry Smith says @ 3:12

Date: December 20, 2014 07:39AM

no, i just want to know what i am hearing is true or not. no reason to be so rude.

Posted by: reuben nli ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:53AM

Yes, the church teaches that masturbation is a HUGE sin. There is a religious pamphelt about this that is given to young boys.

Moreover, once or twice a year, an adult male church leader calls boys into his office, alone, without their parents, and asks them about masturbating. If they admit to it they are shamed and made to do penance.

But, mormonism isn't weird...(sarcasm)

Date: December 20, 2014 07:56AM

wow, i had no idea that really happened. why do that do that? dont they see that they are setting their young people up for some major problems later on in life?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:20AM

blackwings Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wow, i had no idea that really happened. why do
> that do that? dont they see that they are setting
> their young people up for some major problems
> later on in life?

Control over sexual feelings, thoughts, and actions is one of the near-universal techniques used in "high demand groups" [cults] to fully control the members. If a person yields control of his/her sexuality to a force outside of him/herself, generally that person will also be obedient to the dictates of the group leadership...will be acquiescent to significant kinds of mind control demanded by the group...and will feel "special" in some way, as if obedience to restrictive sexual demands signifies special "chosen-ness" in some way. By giving up your own sexual control, you feel that you have somehow proven that you are "special"---one of a select elite---among other human beings.

[Although most high-demand groups severely RESTRICT sexuality (as is true in the LDS church)...there are a percentage of high-demand groups who are at the opposite end of the scale (requiring either significant sexual activity with the members at large, or alternatively, with the group(s) leaders).]

No, "they" don't see that they are "setting up their young people for some major problems later on in life" because this is not their INTERPRETATION of what does, indeed, usually happen (in other words: "major problems" later in life usually DO occur), because leadership does not consider it a "problem"--rather: a FEATURE.

The phrase often used is "church broke": the authentic person inside is systematically and very purposefully "broken," after which they will be malleable to do whatever the group leadership desires (in the case of Mormonism: create the largest possible/feasible numbers of children...give 10% of everything they earn or acquire to the group as a matter of course...spend every possible moment of their lives strengthening the bonds which bind them to the church, and this includes constantly, if possible, convincing or coercing OTHER people into joining the church so THEY will do the same things).

Prohibiting masturbation is just one behavior and thought tool used to control and manipulate members for all of their lives, and for the lives of (hopefully, from the church's perspective) all of their descendants for the entire future which can be imagined. (Others used in the Mormon church are: prohibiting coffee, tea, and alcohol in any form...disapproving bare shoulders except in very highly restricted circumstances such as a swim suit...adults happily accepting that they, as adults, should never see films which are not approved for children-level audiences or read anything which criticizes their church, its leaders, or its history in any way...and many, many, MANY others.)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 08:30AM by tevai.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:19AM

I have been involved in two high-demand groups: the Marines, and law enforcement. Each of them force their recruits to go through tough, high-demand inductions, with rough high-stress initiations called "breakdown." This phase punishes the recruit with sleep deprivation, verbal abuse ("you can't do anything right, maggot!") physical demands (extra calisthenics), kafkaesque rules, and other measures carefully designed to disorient him. (And that's just a tiny overview.)

After this "breakdown," the organization then re-makes the recruit, re-forming and building him up. Ideally, you get a Marine who is intensely loyal the Corps and can carry 60 pounds of weapon and gear 25 miles and fight, or a cop who can roll with a bad guy in a back alley and get him handcuffed.

The concept is the same as LDS' control of sexuality: "If you can get through this (adolescent celibacy), you can overcome anything." It also powerfully induces loyalty to the group (and one's peers) and fosters elitism ("I've done things you can't imagine...") This is reinforced though life with promotions, awards, camaraderie, esprit de corps, and uniforms which make the member feel distinctive and superior (such as garments).

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 08:23AM

Look, we're talking about a religion that controls the very underwear you wear as an adult. As intrusiveness goes, that has to be among the highest levels. In the past I have seen them control or attempt to control one's sexual positions (that was after a friend of mine inquired whether it was okay to be behind his wife when having sex, which was his favorite position and the favorite position of many men and women) and kinds of sexual acts (in the 1970's, church leaders went around conducting special adult conferences to address the evils of oral sex). They routinely express the evils of homosexuality. But far worse than any of this is grouping and naming all "sexual sins" (masturbation, pre-marital sex, extra-marital sex, homosexualtity, etc.) as "the sin next only to murder in their seriousness. That roughly means that a child or adult who masturbates is commiting a sin worse than attempted murder, rape, and aggravated assault. Think about the mental anguish that this can produce, and the degree of control that this anguish gives LDS leaders.

Posted by: reuben nli ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:03AM

If you can control a person's sex drive, you can control the person.

Mormonism doesn't care about the collateral damage its teachings cause. They care about controlling the people. The sex drive is the strongest desire in humans. A starving teen boy, given a choice between sex and food would chose sex. Its biology.

The church pushes young people into ill advised marriages at a young age. Ideally there is no premarital sex. You have people marrying who have no idea if they are sexually or physically compatiable.

They marry in a rush just to have sex, only to find the only thing they have in common is the church. QUickly they realize that if they leave the church they have nothing. So, they are trapped in the church for life.

That is one reason why leaving the church is so difficult.

Date: December 20, 2014 08:10AM

i have seen what that can do to people. i have seen people that are sexualy pent up either explode and go on a sexual binge as well as people imploding and becoming such a prude they have a hard time dealing with their normal biological desires.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:00PM

And, it's important to remember that everyone masturbates so TBMs will all have guilt. I once went several months abstaining and then when it happened, the guilt afterwards was overwhelming.

Once, a bishop told me that I would never get married because I was giving myself all the sex I needed. He said I was disgusting! He told me that when I stopped masturbating my sexual drive would force me to get married! How's that for objectifying women? Get married so you can fuck! That was the underlying message. The Boner (you can probably figure out why I've chosen my screen name).

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 03:14PM

There is no mention of masturbation anywhere in the Mormon
scriptures.

During the late 1800s and early 1900s the medical community had
the idea that masturbation caused all kinds of physical
problems. They would talk about how you could tell a
masturbator by the "lack of light" in their eye. They said it
lead to madness etc. Books of life-advice were published on
this and the people who put the anti-masturbation policy and
interview questions into practice were people who grew up
during this period.

Now they have changed their tune. The medical community says
now that there's absolutely nothing physically or mentally
harmful in masturbation and that it's a VERY common and normal
thing. So the GA's now say that it's "sprirtually" damaging
yadda yadda. Of course there's no scientific way to refute
such an idea.

But another thing is that masturbation is private and
personal. Nobody says at school, "Hi, guys, I masturbated last
night." So something personal and private if the Church can
shame you over it you don't go around asking for second
opinions. They can control your approach to it since nobody
else in any position of authority is talking to you about it.

The average Mormon kid is NOT going to go home and ask his
parents if what the Bishop asked was correct or not. This
whole control the kids through masturbation shame is perfect
for the Morg.

Posted by: Anon for This One ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 01:30AM

masturbation had anything to do with the Law of Chastity. I was taught that that Law of Chastity meant that you didn't have sex with anybody you weren't married to. I was OK with that.

When future DH and I were in the seriously-dating-beginning-to-talk-marriage stage, I had been to the temple once (not impressed) and asked him if he wanted to be sealed in the temple.

He said sadly, "I can't. I don't have a temple recommend." Now, this guy was - and still is - one of the most decent, devout people I have ever met. Total TBM. (Except now, inactive.)

I could not imagine ANYTHING he could do that would keep him out of the temple. And fortunately, I had more couth than to ask. We were alone, not within earshot of anybody.

He turned beet red and said, barely over a whisper, "I have a problem with masturbation."

I was stunned. I asked, "Why should THAT be a problem? You're an adult, and it's nobody's business anyway! How do you think I survived all the years when my husband was fooling around with other women, and then after the divorce? There's nothing wrong with masturbation."

His jaw dropped. He said, "How did you ever get through the temple recommend interviews? The stuff about the Law of Chastity?"

I replied that it only meant "Do you sleep with anybody you aren't married to?", and I didn't, so I said "no," and we moved right along. Nobody said a syllable about masturbation.

He shook his head and said, "They must tread lighter with women than they do with guys."

The story he told me was heartbreaking - and besides that, it is proof-positive that records are passed down from one bishop to another. While on his mission, he had admitted to his MP that he had masturbated once or twice. The MP snitched to his bishop back home. Of course, he got screamed at and treated like !@#$%^&* by the MP, and ever since then - on EVERY interview with EVERY bishop (we're talking DECADES, here) he has been asked specifically "Do you masturbate?"

He realizes now that this is intrusive AND abusive, and he has not gone to a bishopric interview in more than a decade, since I left the church. He has been "invited" to do so a few times, but with my encouragement, he declined. He was amazed that you could say "no" to a bishop and live to tell about it.

Even in my most TBM period, if a bishop or SP had asked me "Do you masturbate?" I would have gotten up, said "We're done here," and left.

The fact that they feel they have the right to ask this of grown adults is unspeakable.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Utah Photo GOD ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 09:21AM

The boys get the talk, the pamphlet and the interviews.

Doesn't L-d$,inc recognize girls do it also?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.