Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raging Phoenix not logged in ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 04:51AM

I've been planning on writing an autobiography for a while. I feel that I do have some talent in writing, and many others feel I do as well after reading the first half of my exit story. I still haven't written the rest.

A few benefits of being bipolar is that my extreme emotions sear memories into my mind, and my illness has also led me into amazing experiences.

The thing I'm concerned about is that telling my experiences will severely upset people, even using false names. People will know their part and find out things they didn't know.

What is the best way to navigate this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raging Pheonix ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 05:09AM

Here is an example of my writing, although the LDS portion would probably only cover 2 or 3 chapters. I really can do this and I think my life has been more than interesting enough ;)

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,451597,451597#msg-451597

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 05:22AM

I imagine the best you could do is to change names and locations at a minimum. Alter events (added: minor alterations!)if you feel you must, but be sure you note in a preface that you've taken these liberties. If you have any friends with writing ability, ask them to read and offer editorial advice.

Reading your post, I have no doubt you have that book in you. I wish you the best and will be first in line for a signed copy when you're published!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 05:23AM by Tall Man, Short Hair.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 06:12AM

It doesn't make anyone rich, but it does help the writing work through whatever bothers or interests them. It also helps readers deal with their pain or confusion.

Good luck.

Start chapter one or the concluding chapter today. Don't perfect or edit too much until you've roughed out the whole project. Then find dozens of people willing to read it and make suggestions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.