Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:35AM

Do any of you older RfMers remember the underground plans that circulated in Utah in the early 1970s to defend the temple against the hordes of blacks that would come up from Las Vegas? Apparently, someone fire-bombed one of the front doors of the temple (before my time). The Boner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:56AM

1969 black panthers bombed the front doors. Is that what the tunnels were built for?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 02:02AM

The black panthers were making the point that racism was not going to be tolerated anymore.
I watched the Butler tonight so it is weird that this topic came up on here tonight too.

If anyone knows about serious racism it is the CULT. They wrote the rule books for the KKK I would bet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 02:02AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 05:33AM

Being from the south, born and raised, I at one time had a supposed friend that his family was in the KKK. The Klan that formed in the 1860's is not the Klan that it is today. Today the Klan aligns with Neo-Nazi's, skinheads, and other 'White Pride' groups. The Klan today spills hate out of their mouth to everyone that doesn't see it their way. The group has went after, blacks, American Native Indians, Jews, Christians or anyone that is not of white decent. Another thing that people don't know about the Klan, which is pretty much said by BY not "one drop of Negro Blood", is well if you are anything other than their weird sense of hate then you deserve to die. If a member after joining is found that a family member has either married, been raped, molested, you name it with someone of a different race, their style of religion or anything else, and that said rookie has not KILLED the infection, then the brotherhood shall spill the blood of every member of that family until the family line is made pure.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 10:47PM

I have always thought that the KKK got their ideas from the CULT. Thanks for posting that video link. VERY GOOD VIDEO.

I never thought about the white robes and handshakes common to both for some reason, but WOW! I do now.

I am sending the video to my CULT family members.
WOW!

Date: December 20, 2014 02:08AM

I didn't see the Butler. The memory popped up with The Master's post on guns. I was remembering my BYU roommates talking about defending the temple. Apparently, there were underground plans organized by SLC wards to rise up and defend in case of a race war. This was underground stuff never endorsed by TSCC, to their credit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 02:09AM by byuboner.

Posted by: reuben nli ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:59AM

absence of evidence that the church endorsed such a plan is not evidence of absence.

What has the church ever officially owned? Even their recent essays are anonymous and maintain an element of deniability. The church never puts its prints on things. They let rumor and word of mouth create doctrine, and I am sure they would let the same take care of plans to protect the temple.

(Come to think of it, the church doesn't even fess up to owning actual property. they have shell corps for that too. It is the least transparent organization in the history of the world. The Kremlin by comparison looks like a model of blue sky laws.)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 03:05AM

or the empty, meaningless rituals conducted within. Another glimpse of life behind the Zion Curtain.

Psst! There's another rumour going 'round about a well-equipped wagon train from Arkansas that has all sorts of good things...

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:21AM

the MORmON church is the foremost formally racist organization in American History, NOT the KKK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvhJevwsaqM

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:22AM

I like to say that I was wrong.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:05AM

In the late sixties it was simply accepted as fact by Mormons that black people had maps of every neighborhood in America showing where Mormons lived, so that when the Race War started they (the blacks) would know where to go for all that stored food and possibly weapons.

Among those who held this firm belief was the director of the University of Utah Insitutue of Religion. He was armed against the onslaught.

I know this from personal experience. He was a family friend.

This is the environment in which I was raised. Is it any wonder that I had problems later in life?

Date: December 20, 2014 12:36PM

Thanks SLSkipper! This was what I was remembering. It's an example of how, when I was in the cult, I was paranoid with worry about dire predictions. The food storage plans, etc. all went hand in hand to instill a collective we're the chosen, Satan is out to destroy us, stand ye in holy places. Fuck! I can't believe I bought into this shit for so long! Thanks, The Boner.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 10:48AM

The tunnels far predate the 1960s. And most, if not all, major US cities have tunnels throughout their downtown areas. Places with warm climates (Los Angeles) or high water tables (Miami) might not.

Most cities had central steam heat facilities installed to heat all the downtown buildings from a single heating plant. This was done in the late 1800s and early 1900s. After WWII that type of heating went out of fashion, but the tunnels built to install and maintain the steam pipes are with us still.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 10:56AM

The unholy fifteen often meet in the temple where inspiration is said to be the greatest. Perhaps it's really just a good way to get away from phone calls and visitors. In any case, it's my understanding that the tunnel from the Church Office Building to the Salt Lake Temple exists to permit easy travel between the two, especially under poor weather conditions.

Posted by: tikbalang ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 12:28AM

The tunnels were there long before 1969. They are all over under Temple Square and the surrounding area. I've worked in many of them....waterproofing them to keep the groundwater (city creek) from leaking into them. They go from the COB, the Hotel Utah (now JS building) to the temple, the tabernacle, the visitors center....etc., theres a brand new steam tunnel that comes all the way from the Central Plant bring steam to all the different buildings. There are shops....carpenter, electrician, etc and the largest flower shop in the state all under the new plaza where the big fountains are....they also leaked into them and the parking garage and I taught some of the churches maintenance people mhow to stop those leaks. The newer tunnels go over to the new conference center...so the big wigs never have to walk the streets.

Met L. Tom Perry in the tunnel while working on the steam tunnel....he poked his head inside and visited with us and was really interested in what we were doing.......anyway..lots of tunnels.......and a little city under temple square what with all the maintence shops there...I think they go down about six floors underground.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.