Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Random Anonymous Chick ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:30AM

Howdy! I'm a semi-regular lurker, not quite brave enough to post as myself yet. These boards have been instrumental in helping me come out of the Morg...so thanks! :-)

I was just wondering if anyone had seen/discussed this video yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8D0f2KAk2w

I saw it tonight and just about choked on my drink. I guess I really am coming out of the Church mentally, because I am a former hardcore TBM, and even I can see how infantile this is.

Do these poor kids realize how crazy they look? Also, isn't music like this against mission rules?

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:13AM

I think I lasted 30 seconds.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:26PM

8 seconds here....I just threw up in my mouth.....ewwwww...

RB

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:45PM

9 seconds.

It was just too painful and embarassing.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 06:31PM

ha! the reviews were priceless. "Homophobia and sexism! Still a pretty big thing for Mormons,"

Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 02:09AM

So strange. All of it is just weird and silly. Mormons are seriously not self-aware regarding how nonsensical things like this are.

And, yes, I think this song is definitely against all mission rules and even basic TBM unwritten rules. The song has language and is very sexual. ha ha. The leaders probably have no clue where the song came from.

What a joke TSCC is!

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 02:10AM

Dreadful.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 02:17AM

Mormons really don't know how they appear to other people. I'm in no position to call anyone dumpy because I'm no supermodel or high fashion girl myself but those girls look seriously out of touch with fashion. They looked like nuns dressed in street clothes. And all those references to reading keeping the devil away - they don't realize most people don't dwell on the worrisome fact that the devil might get them. Seriously, a non-Mormon seeing this would think Mormons were only marginally better than the Amish or FLDS. But Mormons can't see this because they are much more concerned with looking cool to other Mormons, not realizing it doesn't play well outside their enclave.

Oh, and besides the music, sunglasses are banned in many missions.

Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 04:01AM

Sunglasses are banned on missions? Why?? I'd want to protect my eyes on a sunny day.

Date: December 20, 2014 11:23AM

I don't know - image reasons of some sort. I know people who suffered eye damage by serving missions where they really needed sunglasses, although most probably were just fine. Still, it's an image thing that overrides the needs of the missionaries.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:03AM

unless they paid for the rights I am pretty sure this is a violation of copyright. LDSInc is always very concerned with protecting their own copyright.

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:18AM

Parody is one of the exceptions to copyright law.

Posted by: reuben nli ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:07AM

one more reason I am embarassed to tell people I grew up in Utah and went to BYU. they assume I am part of this ridiculous group.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 09:55AM

I actually suffered thru 1:57 and had to pull the plug.

'Repeater Robots' comes to mind...

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:40AM

The BoM disproves moism. It is a work of lousy fiction.

Date: December 20, 2014 12:30PM

I agree but do you have an itemized list of ways the Book of Mormon disproves Mormonism? Because I'd love to point out specific passages of their so-called truest book on earth that show Mormons today live in contradiction to the most important scripture. Maybe you could start another thread or post a link to that information, if you have a second. Thanks.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:29PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree but do you have an itemized list of ways
> the Book of Mormon disproves Mormonism? Because
> I'd love to point out specific passages of their
> so-called truest book on earth that show Mormons
> today live in contradiction to the most important
> scripture. Maybe you could start another thread
> or post a link to that information, if you have a
> second. Thanks.

Start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_Book_of_Mormon

Follow the references at the bottom, and you'll have volumes of lists of problems.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 05:37PM

CA girl Wrote:
> I agree but do you have an itemized list of ways
> the Book of Mormon disproves Mormonism? Because
> I'd love to point out specific passages of their
> so-called truest book on earth that show Mormons
> today live in contradiction to the most important
> scripture. Maybe you could start another thread
> or post a link to that information, if you have a
> second. Thanks.

Here is my summary:
"The Book of Mormon vs. Mormonism"
http://packham.n4m.org/bomvslds.htm

Date: December 20, 2014 05:45PM

Thank you both!

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:18PM

OMG! I only lasted seventeen seconds.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:18PM

Some TBMs posted that on Facebook a little while ago. I don't think TBMs see it the way others do. It's a badge of honor.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 05:47PM

Five years from now this will have been the 13 and 14 year-olds that get to be the kids of NOMs of compromise.

Mormon missionaries.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1463638

I bet some of the stars of this video have a mom or dad who couldn't figure out a solution to being Mormon, so they went along and guess what?

The kids end up on a Mormon mission, in the Mormon temple, in a temple marriage and making more BICs by the time they are 18 or 19.

There is heavy lifting to be done in order to keep your kids from dancing around in a Youtube video singing praises about the Book of Mormon.

I can't imagine how ashamed of myself I would be if I were a NOM and had let a kid of mine get to this without having taken an open, strong position about Mormonism as a flawed lifestyle choice.

The insanity stops when the parent takes the hit by leaving Mormonism.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 05:49PM by gentlestrength.

Date: December 20, 2014 05:58PM

gentlestrength Wrote:
> The insanity stops when the parent takes the hit
> by leaving Mormonism.

This is how I felt - that I took the hit to give my kids a normal, well-rounded life and the freedom to create the life they want and that they can have if they work for it. No slavery to a cult - no stunted growth because of that slavery. I get that there are other You-Tube videos where grown-ups act silly but waxing poetical about a fictional book they believe to be fact without question - that is a special kind of crazy. I'm glad I was strong enough to take all the crap Mormons dished out to give my kids the life I want them to have. One that doesn't involve dancing missionary ridiculousness.

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 06:24PM

I am prepared to cut them some slack here.
Once they have actually read it they will probably be as embarrassed as we were watching it.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:01PM

I used to be them ... embarrassingly clueless dork brain. Completely oblivious of what a hopelessly stupid fool I was making of myself.

Love the sexy skirt lengths. Can't blame them for being fat. I'm fat. Can't blame them for being stupid. I was stupid. (Hopefully a bit less stupid now.)

Wimps!

I dare each and every one of you to watch the whole thing!

Posted by: Karashka ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:35PM

I watched it all.

To be honest, I didn't mind it. It was okay despite the subject. However, as I watched it, I kept feeling like I was watching a video from the 70s... lol.

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:40PM

"......no Bible"

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:46PM

Wouldn't this be considered sacriligeous by the old fogies? I actually did watch the whole thing and well, how embarrassing for all of them.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:55PM

Okay, I watched about thirty seconds. I could have watched the whole thing, but didn't feel the need. I found it very telling that the comments had been disabled. Funny.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.