Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 09:11PM

When I tell someone about my life, I mention my early days in Utah. The first question I get is, "Are you a Mormon?" I tell them I was but not anymore. They say, oh--what happened? I say, I found out it was a fraud. It is interesting that Utah=Mormon. But, I find most people do not know much about Mormonism except Mitt Romney is a Mormon, polygamy, JS, racism against blacks, and more and more, people associate Mormon with wealth.

One of the greatest blessings in my life is that I found out the Mormon Church is a fraud. I will always be thankful I found this out (despite much opposition). After many thousands of dollars of tithing (six figures) and hundreds of hours in callings (mindless), I am out. I AM OUT!!! It is a great blessing!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 04:02AM

I agree. After years out, it's easy to forget how lucky I am to have escaped, and the mental turmoil mormonism put me through.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 04:49AM

I third your statement, Sam. Your sharing reminds me that I like when someone asks if I am a Mormon because I am from Utah. I love to say that I was, but resigned my membership. Usually brings up a discussion of some sort.

One discussion I had that was interesting was with a person who grew up in Illinois in an area not far from Nauvoo. She shared that she felt the actions of the cult years ago had left a bad taste among some Illinois people to this day.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: December 22, 2014 11:14AM

I am not physically small, nor overly large. I am 6 feet tall and 200 lbs. I reached my full height as a freshman in high school. I played football (defensive end). At the time, I was about 135 lbs, so that meant I was a skinny but fast defensive end!

Due to being known as one of only 3 mormons in the high school (all 3 of us boys) and me being the most shy (read "non-confrontational), I was "pestered" mercilessly. I was stabbed, slammed into lockers and classroom doors, punched and kicked in PE class, hit in the back of the head while at the drinking fountain, etc. The end result was blood poisoning, gashes stitched up and chipped tooth repair. In the incident with the tooth, my temper finally blew and I flattened the idiot bully with one roundhouse to his jaw. I got dental work, he got knocked out followed by two years detention study hall. After that incident, the teasing lessened substantially.

I was sure glad to be Mormon in a suburb of Chicago! Yeah.

I won't even mention how it was in Birmingham, AL in grade school (half of 5th grade and 6th) and junior high in 1966, 67, 68 and just into 69.

Edited for content.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2014 11:18AM by moose.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: December 22, 2014 12:35PM

If you knock 3 times God says "What is Wanted". What kind of stupid God did the Mormons think up that does not know what is wanted and where the hell is the doorbell? I want a god that has a doorbell that rings before I get there and for God to say it is down three flights of stairs without me asking. Is that too much to ask of a god?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.