Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jane ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:34PM

Eating breakfast before school we were joking about underwear and some how I mentioned that women at church wore the same underwear that daddy wears (he's tbm). They were shocked and confused as to why women would wear underwear that looks like mens underwear. They've obviously seen mine, as well as having been exposed to women's underwear in catalogs and malls. I told them that's why they want girls to wear sleeves and long shorts to get them ready for wearing them. Ad I mentioned you start wearing them after going to the temple as adults. They concluded that they will not be getting married in the temple.

Then they started asking why women don't have priesthood and I mentioned that some women are trying the change that but the men in church don't like change. Somehow it lead to a gay marriage discussion. They were confused why the church wouldn't want people to marry if they love each other. I mentioned that they thought it was wrong and how those families couldn't have babies on their own. Adoption came up and they couldn't believe there could possibly be a problem if a couple was wanting to love a child as their own.

I was not planning on having any of these conversations this morning, but I just love when my children are so curious. I always encourage them to think for themselves and try to keep things very neutral but it's amazing when they come to their own conclusions especially considering most of their religious education is pro-mormon. It just takes the childhood innocence (and they really are, they are young elementary)to realize how weird the teachings are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TryingtoRecover ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:45PM

Well done!

PS. I love reading about other women who have left the church, have TBM husbands, and are making their marriage and family work. It gives me hope.

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 05:35PM

Same here! Thanks for the great story and the dose of hope!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 06:31PM

Nice!

Perhaps though shift blame on the leadership being afraid of change and not so much the general male population in the church.

Posted by: reawakening ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 06:45PM

Ex-Mormon woman here with NOM husband. It's nice the stories and support found on this site. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 09:30PM

Kids are smarter than adults. Unfortunately they usually get brainwashed by adulthood and beginning thinking based on biased programming.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 09:59AM

Keep up the good work.

Your daughters won't grow up to be repeaters.

The chain is broken...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.