Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 01:36PM

I have a roommate who is trying to leave the church.

I'm also still a member but haven't officially left yet.

Neither one of us wants anything to do with the church and we've never been to the ward we're supposedly in.

Lately, the bishop of the ward we're supposedly in has been stopping by our home a lot or sending others to visit.

The thing is they always stop to visit her and not me.

I'm not complaining but it just makes me wonder why they're putting more effort in getting her back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lawman ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 01:39PM

TBMs don't like failure so they only go after the ones they think they have a reasonable chance of success with. Perhaps you've done something to signal that you're further along the apostate path than your roommate? Or maybe your roommate has signalled it to the those who have visited?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 01:45PM

Are you sure your records got transferred to the new ward also? Sometimes (many times) with inactives wards don't know where to send the records to, so they call up TBM relatives and friends who might know where to forward the records.

Also there is chance that your roommate got in touch with them through doing genealogy (you have to register w/LDS.org to access your records and patriarchal blessings) or something.

Date: December 19, 2014 01:48PM

They know I'm here as well, she says that they sometimes ask about me.

I've told her to tell them that I don't want to be contacted if they do ask about me, and she does.

She might just be an easier target for them.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:06PM

It could be that her family is pushing behind the lines. That usually seems to be the case.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:29PM

The Mormon church can be easily compared to an American wolf. During the pioneer days the pickings were easy as the prairies were overflowing with lovely, juicy buffalo by the tens of thousands. The wolf could take his pick, grow fat and lazy while enjoying the evening sun.

Then came technology, and with it the railroad. The buffalo were disappearing at alarming rates. The wolves found they had to start working to get a good meal.

Technology spread throughout the land. Now, easy prey is unheard of. The wolves now dine on only the lame, leanest, and sick. The wolf needs a great many of these to meet his demanding needs. He dreams of by gone days when the fields were full.

Of course all analogies fail at some point, but my point is the Mormon church is in a state of absolute desperation. They are predators of the first order, always looking for new lives for the purpose of consuming their life energy, drain and consume their personal wealth unto themselves, with only empty promises of AFTERLIFE compensation (sweet deal when you can get suckers to fall for that one.) and impose upon their most precious of all life's resources, time. Time for which will NEVER see compensation, or even simple genuine appreciation.

Why her, and not you? Your first sentence contains your answer. Your roommate is TRYING to leave the church. This means the church still holds considerable sway upon her reasoning process. A good hunter knows to target the indecisive outlier. Those not quite sure which direction to turn are sure targets of the desperate, hungry predator. And if they can lure her back into the fold, well, who knows? Maybe you will return too, before giving her up. A two-fer!

I don't know what to say to help except to mention that if she's planning on reconsidering regular membership, perhaps you can suggest she would be wise to get up to speed with the most recent things the church is publishing, that being the now famous ESSAYS. If the essays don't shake her back to her senses, then her childhood indoctrination may be more engrained than you realize. That alone may be serious food for thought for you, and your future.

Oh, and even though you're already living together, don't get too settled in. Don't forget to continue making life FUN for her by getting out and doing activities you enjoy together. Let her know she's interesting, desirable and fun to be with. Even husbands have been known to lose their wife when they stop "courting" their sweetheart. I'm just saying this because the primary goal of these guys is to find the weakness, and exploit the hell out of it. They are NOT above including insincere flirting to get a man or woman into the baptismal font, or back to the pew.

No matter what, I wish you the best, and hope for the day soon when she tells these guys she's just not interested.

Date: December 19, 2014 02:47PM

Thanks, but I don't plan on courting her or anything. My girlfriend and I live together and she's just a roommate.

I just find it annoying that she's letting them into my home. She did mention in the past that she might go back to church just so she can get a temple recommend to see her sisters wedding or something.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:51PM

I misunderstood. Please accept my apologies for making the assumption.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 07:55PM

I would rethink your roommate situation. Perhaps you can ask her if she can meet with church visitors at a local café or the public library. It really is an imposition on you and your girlfriend. Perhaps it's time that you and the roommate part ways.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 07:53PM

you'll have to be blunt and tell them to leave you alone.

Is your girlfriend afraid of seeming to be rude if she doesn't drop everything and invite Mormons in whenever they show up?

Would she let you call the bish and tell him to call off his dogs? Would she sign a note that you could mail to him?

Busy students have too much going on with classes, tests, study groups, and papers. They should not be saddled with unwanted drop-in religion pushers.

I'd screw up my courage and tell them firmly that there's no time or energy for their visits and they should kindly respect your privacy if they don't want to look like fools or stalkers.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:06AM

they can convince you that Mormonism is the best way to live. They want to take the time to convince you that A. you need to be more committed to living a Mormon lifestyle and that B. doing so will bring you happiness and C. it's the RIGHT thing to do in the eyes of God.

In a nutshell, as long as you're still listening to them and they are negotiating your surrender to the cult.

Cause you know, they don't care what you think, they are only there to over come your objections.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.