Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fishbird ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:20PM

At a recent funeral of a youth recently, a comment by the bishop in his speech made me cringe. He said he had the opportunity to visit the girl just a few days before her death in his office. "She was pure. She was CLEAN." Then he sobbed.

Is this proof of the type of questions he asked? Am I taking this the wrong way?

Is this appropriate in a public church meeting? I'm still sick about this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:27PM

I find that highly inappropriate bordering on creepy--actually not bordering on--definitely creepy. And doesn't that kind of comment just scream, CULT.

But what can you expect from a church started by the likes of the letch Joseph Smith followed up by another prolific sex monger, Brigham?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 08:28PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:28PM

Totally inappropriate.

Yet another reason I want nothing whatever to do with the Mormon CULT.

I also think that it's likewise inappropriate for grown men to ask young boys how often they "whack off". Frankly, I don't think it's any of their goddamn business!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 08:48PM by Templar.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 05:41PM

My bishop asked me if I had a problem in the M department. I said, "Heck no bishop I'm pretty good at it...no problems here."

Posted by: JosephWantsMe4aPlaything ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:38PM

"Why yes, bishop, I do in fact have a problem with it. I've got two hands and only one weiner!"

(Damn, I wish I would have had the presence of mind to answer thus forty plus years ago...)

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:31PM

She was pure! She was CLEAN! Does he speak that way about the boys? I guess his wife is DEFILED then. It makes you sick.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:31PM

Posted by: blankstare ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:09PM

And a bath?

Posted by: sheepherder ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:17PM

Oh my.

Posted by: Fishbird ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:32PM

Not sure of his profession!
Would this comment be unsettling to a TBM? Or would they be offended as I was? What about the family?

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 01:06AM

Fishbird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure of his profession!
> Would this comment be unsettling to a TBM? Or
> would they be offended as I was? What about the
> family?

No. No TBM would be offended by this. This is a high compliment for a teen. Boy or girl. And it would be very comforting to the family, because it would let them know that she was bound for the CK. No horrible sin left un-repented of to keep her from her exaltation.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 12:53PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:40PM

I agree, this is sick! How dare a church leader even discuss something so personal. The funeral is a sharing of the life of someone loved to help family and friends come together in support for each other.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 06:29PM

No its not! Its an opportunity to proselytize.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 11:43PM

What would he have said if he believed she was not those things?

Posted by: Elder OldDog ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 01:08AM

And...!!! If another youth dies and the bishop doesn't say that youth was pure...

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 12:58AM

GAWD I'm so happy that I'm an EX-Morg.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 10:55PM

"A "religion" absolutely OBSESSED with spick and span genitals" -

isn't this funny considering JS FUCKED every woman and girl he met. If there was EVER anyone with less than spick and span genitals....HA HA!

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 01:01AM

I think that the tbm's were not as appalled a we are that he said this. For example, a young 15 year old girl died in a head-on accident on pioneer day here in Utah county. Very sad ,drunk driver who also died.

The mom of the girl talked about how her daughter had just gone to some dance thing at church on the previous Monday, and had worn gold, which in YW I guess is the color of virtue.

She talked about how her daughter died as virtuous and they buried her in that gold dress (if I am off on the color I apologize, something along the lines of gold). It wasimplied that she was pure and virtuous when she died.

What I thought weird was that the mom put this on her facebook and out in the public. It is just weird, really.

Say she was a good kid, liked by many.

This bishop was definetly out of line, but I bet the tbms got togetherfor their funeral ham and potatoes and chatted about it and how lucky her paretns were that she died being pure and stuff. That is how fucked up morons are.

Posted by: Jilly ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 01:27AM

A "religion" absolutely OBSESSED with spick and span genitals shouldn't be called "The Church of Jesus Christ".

The One True Pure Church?
First United Virgins?
Holy Clean of the Valley?

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 01:00PM

I read this yesterday, but had to come back today and just say that I am still revolted by that "clean" comment. It makes me angry to think of all the reasons that TBMs would suck that up and think it was not only okay - but beautiful and spiritual.

Totally sickening.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 01:23PM

I think the point he was making was that she gets to be in the Celestial Kingdom. I think that's all he meant by pure and clean, and it was his way of comforting the parents. I can't imagine losing a child and hope I don't have to. Usually when a child dies in Mormonville the reason is because God has a special work for them in heaven or they are being called to do missionary work in spirit prison. Those are some reasons I've heard in the past. Tell yourself whatever you want to at least make the grief more bearable.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:09PM

That's what I was thinking. I doubt the bishop was referring to chastity at all. That's certainly not the first thing I thought when I read the post. How do you know his visit was a deathbed interview/confession and not just a friendly visit? Maybe he felt impressed, by his own emotions, that she was worthy of the CK, etc... I remember being overcome by such emotions and thoughts and sobbing about it when I watched my wife's grandfather die.

Too many people here think the worst of everyone, including those they know NOTHING about. Though deluded, most Mormons I've met are decent people, not pervs that press dying teenagers on their sex-life. The fact that some of you seem to be losing sleep over this is what's disturbing to me.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:15PM

We had a bishop who told the kids of a middle age man that died in our ward the although the dad did not have a current temple recommend he was very close to working though his sins. He felt sure the man could shortly have a recommend.

I always felt sorry for the kids for that cruel comment.

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:20PM

I imagine he WAS talking about about her purity and worthiness to receive celestial glory, and that is why from one perspective, it could be heard as comforting and touching.

On the other hand, if you feel like no man is a judge of another's worthiness, the entire thing feels disturbing.
I might even read into it some real pain on the Bishop's part - he was touched by her goodness, and feels comforted by the grace awaiting her on the other side. Fine. It just doesn't feel appropriate to me.

I'm not saying I assume it's sexual. I just don't like the public, authoritative declaration of her value.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:09PM

I agree Dinah, it probably was more about her heavenly worthiness..than sexual means. The LDS talk in such an odd way..constantly. Especially the leaders because the BS doesn't even make sense to their own conscience.

Posted by: lv skeptic ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:38PM

Morgs are not the only ones that do this.

I went to a funeral a lot of years ago for my now former wife's brother's live in girlfriend. She had od'd on cocaine, went into a coma, and passed away after a few weeks, NEVER coming out of the coma.

The BIL was a member of a biker gang. The girl was a prostitute...got the picture?

So, the funeral was held at the funeral home, with all of these bikers and their gals, with the eulogy given by some biker wannabe preacher.....his sole goal in life was to preach Jesus to the bikers.

Sooooo, with all that background, this biker preacher said that the girl, while in a coma, had "found Jesus", had turned her life over to him, and had died before she could commit any sins....therefore, she was "clean" and was now in heaven with Jesus. He knew that she had done this cuz the Spirit told him.

I just put it down to things being said at funerals to comfort the family.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:47PM

Yeah, know some Southern Baptists who are the same way. Nothing was said at the funeral but after one teenage boy died, his mom posted a blog about how she was glad he died a virgin and was saving himself for marriage. Personally I had hoped the guy got some safe sex before he died, but it seems that she didn't think so. She now goes around to youth groups telling his story and preaching abstinence.

The one thing I will say in her favor is at least she is staying that the boys should stay virgins as well as the girls, instead of putting all the blame on the girls.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:40PM

So is a youth's life of greater or lesser value depending on the degree of Mormon-determined "cleanliness"?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 06:32PM

Posted by: fishbird ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 06:38PM

I got up the nerve to ask a couple men from the "audience" about this clean quote. They, who have both served with bishops, and attended the funeral, felt it was inappropriate. They explained that the "cleanness" was discussed in the interview.

They agreed that they would not have spoken of it at the funeral, but would have visited with the family about it.

Thanks for your comments.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 06:39PM

When my grandmother died, my parents set out to give her a mormon funeral even though she never joined any religion and thought it was a bunch of nonsense. Obviously this pissed me off because it was a day to remember her, not a day to sell mo-ism. I had the last laugh and so did granny because I gave the eulogy and reminisced about her salty language and dirty jokes. (always followed by "don't tell your mom") One of her best was after losing a hand of cards at a family dinner. She slammed down her cards and said, "well doesn't that just frost your balls". I turned around to give the Bishop a little smile after i told that one.

Sometimes its about the little wins.

Posted by: jesuslovesfutbol ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 12:21AM

The real creepiness here is that you know Goddam well that a$$hole bishop WAS talking about sex and that he had, just before her death, asked her if she liked masturbating.

One of my truly sad regrets is that I allowed bishops to sit in front of my kids and ask those creepy questions. I apologized to one of my sons about the fact the bishops asked if he jacked off. He just laughed and said he lied anyway. Good boy.

More pathetic still is the fact the bishop's comment no doubt elicited sobs and tears from the TBMs in attendance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.