Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 04:05AM

Alright so here is my thoughts on an idea that could revolutionize ex-mormon lifestyles, and the views of the mormon people upon us. These might also help them come out.

So first a human behavioral lesson. So humans are tribal creatures. Identity and community are something very important to us.sure many people say that modern tribalism is a bad thing, but in reality everyone does it, some more than others
People say it's bad because it can separate people and cause contention between different groups and cultures. However many cultures hold friendliness and hospitality high in their list of morals. I say tribalism can be a very healthy aspect of human behavior.

One of the most tribal groups of people in this world are the mormons who inhabit Utah and Idaho. 150 years have blossomed a new culture, some aspects bad, and some aspects good. Utah mormonism is filled with so many initiation rights, traditions, and are tight knit when it comes to communal life. Again, they are very tribal animals.

At least in my experience there have been some very beautiful traditions that have been created by the ethnic mormons of Utah and Idaho.For instance General Conference is always treated as a semi-annual holiday by my extended family. Long will I cherish the fond memories of being surrounded by my loved ones, eating delicious food grown and prepared by hand. Laughing, and enjoying ourselves. Even Baptisms were an important right of passage that would normally be followed by a barbecue by my extended family. Alas these beautiful memories and sacred traditions have been perverted by a twisted cult hell bent on bending people to their will.

So I say, why not take that little flower, beautiful and small, just a blossom really, from the craggy rocks that are TSCC. We take this little seedling to a nice little patch of rich and healthy soil with plenty of sunshine, and plant it there. We give it some water, and watch it grow into a rose bush, or perhaps a meadow, because it has the potential.

We keep the beautiful aspects of our tribe, and we purify it, make it a healthier environment. We make our own traditions. Our own rites of passage. Free from the LDS Church and we build a culture that sponsors kindneas, good will, respect, and hospitality.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 07:44AM

The New Testament asks, "Can any good come from Kolobia?" I say, not likely. To make the seedling grow, you will need lots and lots of compost and steer manure. That's all I'm saying.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 03:05PM

Interestingly as one gets further away from the "center stake of zion" (SLC) and further into the mountain hinterlands the traditions get more and more ethnic and bizarre to outsiders. If you go to founders day holiday in certain farming towns and they get rather strange. Did you know that up in Wellsville they actually have a celebration reenacting the massacre of the Shoshones and the ethnic cleansing? It's a celebration commemorating the killing of all Indians.

Up in Mendon they do fertility rites which is part of ancient pagan traditions (maypole dance?) that somehow have survived through the Christendom of Scotland and came across the ocean to Mormondom. They also chant spells in pagan tradition to the Keltic Gods for abundant harvests and other things, if I remember right?

These are only two small communities I'm sure there are other bizarre traditions in small town Utah, that outsiders rarely ever see.

Posted by: packerroo ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 03:31PM

My tribe is alive and well and live mostly in small mountain community of the west.We can spot each other by our dress and grooming standard and secret hand signs.We are not trusting of others who are different from us.I have always told my children to look for one of the tribe if you need help and never trust someone who is clean cut shaved or wearing a suit. All my children are now adults and love my tribe.Just an old hippie in the mountains of Idaho.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.