Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 03:07PM

I've never read my grandfather's wiki entry. Just did that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rulon_Jeffs

I'm a grandson of the "Zola" mentioned. Growing up I heard that Rulon was raised polygamist, left his father's group to join the mainstream, went on a mission, was asked to extend his mission at his own expense, didn't like being pressured like that but still came home and married my grandmother.

Then, my grandmother wanting her husband to have a relationship with his family invited her father in law over for weekly Sunday dinners. In the course of those conversations (between father and son) Rulon re-converted to polygamy and began pressuring my grandmother to accept his marrying a plural wife.

This is my families story. It may be mythology but I tend to believe it. We visited Rulon in his Sandy compound (which became Alta Academy) several times in the 80s when I was growing up. I think my father had it right on Rulon's earlier existence.

But I have no way to inform Wiki of it and I can't confirm it.

So, at least RfM knows the family story. The Wiki story sounds bogus. Like Rulon didn't hear about polygamy until 1940???? Yeah, right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 03:41PM

The Wiki story is bogus. Your call is correct.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 05:19PM

There were several of Rulons cohorts that left tscc about that time and joined the plygs...a couple I knew loved to expound about their first wife leaving them when they took on the great celestial law...almost a badge of honor it seemed...the chosen few were fastracked up the flagpole...having been such a firm believer some years ago in the john taylor 1886 thing it was hard to imagine it was all bunk...but a study of briggy and joe and taylor must have been doing mushrooms or was just the ultimate fanny kisser like HCK...if a cow craps in the spring...your not drinking good water downstream..most of the jokers i knew were consolidated in the forties about the time HJGrant told em they cud dump the girls they didn't get along with...there were lots of em were giddy about that..imo that was really when the church dumped polygamy ..some day ill tell ya about the time Rulon...mr punctuality stood me up...not sure what he was scared of

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 05:28PM

Most of these guys were called by Joe Musser and John Barlow in the forties...the new kids to carry the torch...Roy Johnson was an old line guy gojng clear back to Lees Ferry ...he picked up the torch after Barlow..as they proselyted women for the cause they also gathered up a few men who caught the vision...even today there are still guys looking to wean away the weak from the church flock...silly bastards..if memory serves rulon and del timpson were cousins

Date: April 06, 2016 12:12PM

Trails end Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> flock...silly bastards..if memory serves rulon and
> del timpson were cousins

Well, that was Rulon's middle name.

If you click my name on the Message List page you can find my email addy. Shoot me an email. I am the grandson of one of these ditched first wives. I would love to learn more about the crap my grandfather did.

I'm finishing up Elisa Wall's "Stolen Innocence." It has been rough knowing my grandfather and his son put all that crap into motion. Probably a good thing in the long run? Hasten the chaff from the chosen away until it all goes away?

Date: April 07, 2016 12:43PM

Topping for Trails end.

Posted by: lolly18 ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 08:02PM

Until the 1970's or so (when the TR question, do you affiliate with apostates was added) it was common for children of polygamists to join the lds church, and get married in the LDS temple before returning to the polygamist group. I don't have any trouble believing the OP's story.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 06, 2016 12:30PM

They didn't miss a beat. Asked if they associated with apostate groups, they simply said, "No, I do not."

It's still common for polygamists to lie and participate in regular wards while pretending to be monogamous, widowed, or whatever story works.

I lied about the "apostate group" question whenever I got a recommend to do dead dunkings as a young teen. I'd have been severely beaten a locked in my room if I hadn't been able to pull off the scam with the bishop.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 06, 2016 12:39PM

My grandfather (Otho) knew Rulon Jeffs. All he ever told me was that the "plygs" were "misguided," but he seemed to like the guy.

Date: April 06, 2016 12:52PM

My father's father was very likable (unlike Warren)

My father is very likeable

Their problem is they have done very despicable things. Gru is a cartoon, and so we can laugh at him.

I can't laugh at them and I don't want to follow in their footsteps.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 01:31PM

Jeffs
Barlow
Allred
Call

These surnames are always mentioned. I'm curious, are the polygs all inbreds?

Judging by the looks of an awful lot of the women, yes, yes they are.

I'm aware that it was common to give each child the birth mothers maiden name as a middle name I'm guessing as an attempt to keep track, but yeesh, what a hideous group of dummies

Date: April 11, 2016 02:54PM

Levi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm aware that it was common to give each child
> the birth mothers maiden name as a middle name I'm
> guessing as an attempt to keep track, but yeesh,
> what a hideous group of dummies

The technical term is they are "Keeping Sweet" and not "dummies."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.