Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pittsburg ( )
Date: December 16, 2014 07:55AM

New stakes were recently formed in southwest MO and northwest AR. There was a major influx of members from CA, AZ, and UT in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The number of convert baptisms have amounted to only a few each year in that area over the last 40 years. The number of those converts who have remained active is virtually zero.

One of the buildings in the 1980s housed two very large wards. That town, and most of southwest MO, has doubled in population since then and the number of wards in that building is now down to one. The population of Rogers, AR has more than tripled in that same time and the "growth" has been from TBMs moving in for work.

In all of these stakes there has been rearranging of ward and branch boundaries to create new wards and branches. The Joplin Stake used to have the honor of having the most units of any stake in the world. At one point it had 12 units making it the equivalent of roughly three Utah stakes.

The only "growth" has been and continues to be from move ins and births. There is a substantial percentage of those BIC in that area that have become inactive or left the church completely.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: December 16, 2014 09:09AM

12 wards/branches in a stake is not unusual. Ready to be split, but not unusual. Typical stake is 8 units.

Date: December 16, 2014 01:22PM

Most stakes that I have been in have five wards.

Regardless, the point is that these new stakes were not formed by creating new wards and branches. They were formed by moving boundaries.

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: December 16, 2014 02:10PM

my current stake has 12 units. they are land locked and building poor so there is no room for another stake.

Posted by: Branson guy ( )
Date: December 16, 2014 04:51PM

Lets not forget all the LDS performers in Branson, Missouri. They have their whole families performing with them. There are 4-5 wards in the Branson area alone which is basically a small town. That is located in SW Missouri.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: December 16, 2014 05:18PM

"SIX" probably makes up an entire ward all by itself.

Date: December 16, 2014 06:45PM

Branson guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lets not forget all the LDS performers in Branson,
> Missouri. They have their whole families
> performing with them. There are 4-5 wards in the
> Branson area alone which is basically a small
> town. That is located in SW Missouri.

Well shut my mouth ;) That is true. Branson has been booming for Mormonism. Also, looking at the number of wards added per year, there is growth in the church so it must be somewhere. The birth rate among Mormons is still well above replacement and above the average for the US. Therefore, Mormonism should continue to grow in general across the US.

Mormonism, per the number of wards, seems to be adding somewhere between 40,000-60,000 solid members per year worldwide.

Date: December 18, 2014 03:23PM

Branson even invented a spanish speaking ward. Hard to imagine there would be so many immigrants or people that don't speak english in a small town in rural america. I can see it in a larger town but BRANSON, MISSOURI ?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 03:29PM

They invented one where I live too.I live in small town rural america. Isn't English supposed to the language of the land(unofficially of course)!??

Date: December 20, 2014 03:39PM

Branson guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Branson even invented a spanish speaking ward.
> Hard to imagine there would be so many immigrants
> or people that don't speak english in a small town
> in rural america. I can see it in a larger town
> but BRANSON, MISSOURI ?

Branson, MO does not constitute small town rural America. It is a tourist destination and the vast majority of the economy is based on entertainment and tourism. Branson is visited by roughly 8,000,000 tourists every year. A non-trivial percentage of the attendance in the Branson 1st and 2nd Wards plus the Branson West Ward are tourists. After all, TBMs often attend church even while on vacation.

This is the case with many of the non-LDS churches in Branson and in the local area. It is not uncommon for these churches to have significantly more attendees on any given Sunday than are on the records of the local churches.

The Spanish-speaking population in SW MO is substantial and continues to grow. That community has been an integral part of the population since the early 1990s at least.

Your moniker indicates you live in Branson but I wonder if that is truly the case if you are unaware of the realities of the Branson economy. The endless, miles long traffic jams in and around Branson during the ever lengthening tourist season would be impossible for a local to ignore.

Date: December 21, 2014 06:49PM

Pittsubrg I never said I lived in Branson. I do however go on vacation there.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 11:13AM

Not where I live.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.