Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 02:10PM

"Brigham Young University has become the sole owner of its signature landmark — and all it took was $180,000, four years and an act of Congress. With Y Mountain now the exclusive property of the private Provo school, students, alumni and outdoors enthusiasts are celebrating. They expect the land-ownership transfer from the U.S. Forest Service to improve safety on the steep one-mile path that leads to the block letter."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3703399-155/byu-climbs-a-mountain-to

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 03:49PM

Why didn't the Lord just appear to the Forest Service and Congress and command them to deed the property to ChurchCo. Faith can move mountains, right -- from one owner to another.

Posted by: Off the fence ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 03:58PM

Well a mountain is a temple so

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 07:52PM

It would be bitchin' karma if an earthquake cause the mountain to collapse and swallow the "Y".

RB

Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 04:18PM

Safety? It's a damned mountain!
What are they planning to do? Put in escalators?

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 04:33PM

Not sure if this is still a tradition or not but when I attended in the late 70's there was a day early in the semester designated as "whitewash the Y day." I was new to mountainous terrain at that point in my life but even I could see how steep the area around the Y was and, gladly, opted out of this activity. I don't know when the tradition began but clearly it started way before I arrived on the scene. Why it's taken them 40+ years to "improve safety" is beyond understanding.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 05:34PM

"Around 1979 or 1980, the Y was coated with a sand and white cement mixture called gunnite, eliminating the need for annual whitewashings. The project required 100 cubic yards of sand, 5,400 pounds of cement and 10,000 gallons of water. The Y is now painted every two to five years. The project takes three people 10 hours to apply 155 gallons of paint, which is transported by helicopter."

http://yfacts.byu.edu/Article?id=156

Date: March 31, 2016 06:48PM

So it happened after I left.

But this info then begs repeating the question of why a mountain needs to be made safe. And why the heck were they putting students in danger prior to the gunnite solution?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 05:11PM

Kathleen nli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Safety? It's a damned mountain!
> What are they planning to do?

Build a mall. I think they are going to call it "Y Mountain Mallassacre."

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 04:45PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 04:51PM

Steep? Maybe for an apostle.

I think they should re-introduce real cougars to Y mountain.

Posted by: riverogue ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 05:06PM

yeah, its not really dangerous to hike up there unless your an invalid.

Date: March 31, 2016 06:50PM

slave student labor to the expense of gunnite and the added costs of using a helicopter.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 06:08PM

Well they're still whitewashing the reputation of the mass murderer whom the Y represents.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 06:12PM

I think it should be painted black for an entire year in order to honor his righteous teachings about the priesthood.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 06:15PM

Well, since they actually have an incentive to maintain it, it probably WILL be better maintained. I can't really see what incentive the federal government would have. The path is unpaved and steep and gets muddy when it rains. Maybe they are going to pave it or put in some stairs at the tougher spots or something.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 06:31PM

180K to buy a mountain. Jesus would approve. Right?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 06:52PM

Jesus would move the mountain (to a place the Mormons already own, no doubt). :-)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 07:10PM

180K is cheap. Just think what they could build up there. It's just a shrewd real estate investment.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 07:11PM

So now are they going to kick off people who hike in shorts and tank tops?

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 09:21PM

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: March 31, 2016 07:47PM

Ex-TBMs here, answer me this:

How would the people of the Utah Valley react if a giant Christian Cross was placed on the mountains?

Posted by: Joe W ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 12:19AM

They didn't buy the mountain. They bought a strip of land leading up to and surrounding the Y. This is a good thing since BYU will be responsible for maintaining and improving the trail. Ultimately it saves taxpayer money! (I suspect the money came from a donor--BYU gets a lot of money from Alumni donations.)

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 12:23AM

I hope the EVIL CULT plans to take care and maintain the property then, rather than expecting the Forest Service to kiss the EVIL CULT's butt.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 01:33AM

Them homosectials best not be holdin' hands on the path to the Y or else they'll be 'rested.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 02:14AM

this is for the people who commented on how steep and how treacherous that the trail was, (dodging the police with an unlicensed vehicle on city streets on the way over to the trail was much more risky than the trail itself and I am proud to say that the local police never successfully prevailed upon me.) and how steep and how treacherous that the mountain slope is where the Y letter is actually located. at one time, I used to ride my dirt bike up to the Y letter on the trail. It was a pretty easy ride for anyone who has basic capability with a dirt bike. Riding on the Mountain slope is another matter, as it is much steeper and would be much more difficult. One day I rode up to the Y letter. There was a guy on a trials motorbike already there, riding up and down and across and around and around all over on the letter itself and on the adjacent ground. (Try that sometime!) It was amazing. No doubt such an act would be considered Utter sacrilege by religious BYU fans.

There are some really great motor cycle hill climbing spots at other places on that mountain although I am sure they have been strictly shut down by now.

The BYU campus police / gestapo now have more area to exercise their stifling unquestionable MORmON authority.

Posted by: the careful poster ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 07:49AM

DW and I hiked up there on July 4, 197-. On the trail right near the Y we encountered a large badger flattened out sunning himself in the middle of the trail. We wanted him off the trail and didn't want to surprise him as we edged by. So I tossed some rocks at him gently. He got pissed and snarled and held his ground. So we both clambered up the slope above, edged across, and came back down, quite the fete for my non-adventurous and weak-muscled girlfriend. We hiked up into the canyons beyond and found a clearing off the trail, where we (illegally) built a small fire and cooked some food we had brought. It was gorgeous up there. We began kind of making out, then proceeded on to a state of undress, enjoying the sun on our rather white bodies. We didn't do much, of course, just a lot of touchy-feely stuff. But right after we had gotten our clothes back on, a guy from my ward showed up from nowhere, wearing a stupid nerdy hat and carrying a hiking stick and knapsack. He was probably watching from the bushes or something, although we were back pretty far from the trail. We walked back hours later and had to carefully find our way along down to the Y in the dark, but were able to watch the July 4 fireworks from above. It was a nice day. It was my only real encounter with the place.

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 03:37PM

Echo NormaRae - this is a post of mine from a thread on this board last week:

"In another more recent example, ChurchCo just got Orrin Hatch and Jason Chaffetz to push through legislation that allowed BYU to purchase 81 acres of national forest land on Y mountain in Provo so that BYU could 'control' the trail that leads up to the big concrete Y on the hill. Of course, BYU didn't say it like that but we all know what they bought it for. So watch out you U of U bandits - no more red paint on the Y or you'll be charged with misdemeanors and felonies! Trespassing laws now come into effect since the trail is now on private land. And that's how ChurchCo works. They buy influence and protections just like any major corporation would - helk - ChurchCo is the government in Utah and they get their way on a lot of things."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 03:38PM by tamboruco.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 04:30PM

Universities buy land all the time. This would be no different if Notre Dame, Baylor, or Pepperdine bought land.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.