Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 07:59PM

I can't even imagine how awful my life would have been if I was still in the CULT. I got kicked out (disfellowed) right after my 15th birthday. Today I am 60 so 45 years CULT FREE. HURRAY!!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 08:05PM

Happy birthday! How in the world does someone fifteen years old get disfellowshipped?

Oh. Okay. I remember being fifteen. Never mind. Moving on . . .

Have a great birthday verilyverily!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 11:36AM by Tom Padley.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 08:08PM

Happy Birthday! Good job on getting kicked out at such a young age. :)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 08:10PM

Happy Birthday, verilyverily!

I hope your new personal year...and all of the rest of your personal years to come...prove to be the happiest of your life!

:)

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 08:11PM

Happy Birthday. You do Rock.

Posted by: MossyBucket ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 08:18PM

Life is but a dream.

Happy Girthday!

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 08:22PM

Yayyyy, Happy birthday!!!
In two days is my birthday and I am very happy to be a
never-Mo.....Cheers!!!
Looks like you left the cult when I was one yr. old:)!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 08:26PM

I'm pleased to share in celebrating both 60 years of life and 45 years of sanity with you.
A toast, I say! :)
To you...and many more.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 08:26PM

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Get plastered you ????????????bad Boy? Girl?
Happy birthday to you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2014 08:27PM by laurel.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 09:14PM

They would do that to a 15 year-old?! Of course they would. I should know better.

And many happy returns of the day.

Date: December 11, 2014 10:50PM

It looks like I need to let folks in on the true story of my getting disfellowshipped at 15 years old. It was a few weeks after my 15th birthday, 1969.

My birthday, Christmas, and New Years all fall within 3 weeks of one another. At that time, it also meant that tithing Settlement was also between Christmas and New Years. Anyway, when I was 15, my "calling'" was ward organist. I really loved this calling (REALLY , as callings go this rocked because I got to play this far out pipe organ!)

Anyway, as the ward organist, I was scheduled to play some extra special music for the Sunday before Christmas, which was on Dec. 21st that year. This was back when they actually had a program on Sunday the week before Christmas.

I had some cool music planned including O Holy Night and Jerusalem. Then I had Silent Night planned for the end of the service. Each of these would have a butt kicking organ setting. I had a ball experimenting with the stops on the organ and making it sound different ways etc. Well I also played keyboards in a Rock band called Urge then. For some reason right after my 15th birthday, my band members and I decided to go to the church to practice our rock music. (I had keys to the church as the organist. They used to be more trusting.) We were a cover band for the Doors, Iron Butterfly, Santana, and some other bands that made use of keyboards a lot. (Don't worry extra young people if you don't know whose these bands are but they were good bands, but not the kind of bands to be approved by the cult to say the least, (what band is?)

Well while we were playing Light My Fire, the bishop and his counselor came in. The lights were all on in the chapel and you could hear the music outside. YES IT WAS LOUD. He came in and literally grabbed me by the hair from the organ. It was abuse, but of course I was too scared to say anything about it. He yelled these exact words "You're out of here but you still need to play for Sunday's Christmas show because it is too late to get anyone else." So I figured that was that. I played in the Christmas program. The bishop said I had to go to Tithing Settlement. At barely 15, I owed $34 based on gigs from the band and baby sitting. So I went to Tithing Settlement a few days after Christmas. I didn't go back to church since Tithing Settlement ever again except for family funerals etc. Now I have to back track a bit to get the rest of the story (as Paul Harvey would say).

In about Oct 1969 my SS teacher had told our class all about how JS had used a peep stone to translate the BoM. The SS teacher was a convert and didn't know that it was a secret (an outright lie until the essays!) Well this just rocked my thinking seriously. My parents had told me that if you don't use what God gave you, it would be taken away from you. I even vaguely remember some story about the talents that were taken away from someone who didn't use them. So I was thoroughly mad and confused. The previous SS teachers had said that he used the urim and thummin to translate.

Let me just say that at the time, I thought I was a fairly good TBM except for being in a rock band and taking some illicit drugs occasionally. I was never a real strong believer though even while young.

When I went into the bishop's office for Tithing Settlement I made up my mind that since I was kicked out anyway, I would ask about this discrepancy in the rock/hat vs urim thummin stories. When I asked him point blank why JS did not use what God gave him (urim and thummin), he really got angry and yelled at me claiming that I was "QUESTIONING THE AUTHORITY OF THE CHURCH!" I didn't think I was doing that. I was just asking about JS's translating. But he saw it different. I asked again because his reaction was so insane that I thought he as was kidding. He wasn't. He said I was blatantly rude to "QUESTION THE AUTHORITY OF THE CHURCH." I just left without any answer. Now they owe my an apology because I was right about the rock/hat. Because of my asking, the poor SS teacher got Ex'd so I had that guilt too.

Truth is stranger than fiction and this is the weirdest part. I didn't go back after the end of Dec 1969. But, until 2010, I thought I was disfellowed due to playing Light My Fire in the chapel. I was so into my study of the CULT in 2010 that I wanted to make sure that my name was NOT on their rolls. So I called the COB and asked them. The woman on the phone said that my name was on the membership rolls but listed as disfellowed. I asked her if it said that I played the wrong organ piece in church. She said that it did not say anything about that at all. What it said was that I was disfellowed due to questioning the authority of the church directly to a bishop! She said that they had set up a "repentance plan that I had not followed through on," and asked me if I wanted to go through with the repentance plan!! I told her to look at the date and the she got real quiet and said "Oh that was 40 years ago." I told her that I had not been back in 40 years and that I wanted my name off of their slimy rolls NOW.

I am not kidding. I know this sounds like I am making this up but I am not. My family knows and they were surprised that I got disfellowed in the first place at 15, but when I became an actual Apostate, I was the family scum bag.

Believe it or not, they actually told me I'd have to contact my bishop to get the resignation underway. I told her I did not know who the bishop was or what ward it was that I would be in or anything since I hadn't been there FOR 40 YEARS. She could not seem to get her mind around that. I did send in the resignation letter and then I got a note (with some GA's and Pres pics on it) telling me that "MY SALVATION WAS AT STAKE! and that I still had time to reconsider!" I sent in the letter and said "FUCK OFF AND DIE" literally. I received a confirmation letter saying I was off the rolls.

Has anything like this happened to any of you? I don't mean playing the organ but have any of you had letters about your salvation being at stake? The arrogance of the CULT is just amazing.

Sorry for the long story. Some of you have already heard about it but today being my birthday seems like a good time to repeat it with gratitude for getting out when I did.

THANKS sincerely for all the nice birthday wishes. My life was NOT in the CULT, HURRAY!!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2014 11:29PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: anon2day ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 12:45AM

Did you play the long version of light my fire? Good for you and happy birthday! It could have been the long version, remember the radio stations refused to play it because they could not get enough commercials in. Ha those were the days!

Posted by: Yonnie53 ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 05:21PM

This story made my whole year! I also played in s rock band back then. I'm also out of the cult. Your an inspiration!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 06:01PM

I'm quit shocked that the Bishop didn't call SLC to find out how to rededicate the chapel, since obviously you and your mates had sent the HG scurrying in tears from that holy place.

Seriously, if he felt that your sin merited hauling you by your hair, even if was just a little yank, he must have questioned whether a rededication was necessary.

But then I'm sure that his actions that day bore fruit later when your band mates all joined the church because of the respect that had instantly appeared in their hearts when they witnessed the bishop's righteousness.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 06:13PM

I want to hear you and Tal jam.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 10:55PM

I love you!!!!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 10:58PM

Happy Birthday!! :o)

Date: December 11, 2014 11:17PM

Wow, Thanks to everyone, especially Laurel. I love you too! Made my day to hear that.

Date: December 13, 2014 02:09AM

My parents were not terribly upset that I was done with cult, just that I was kicked out. My mom did talk to the bishie about how unfair it seemed. He didn't listen to her. I didn't want to go back anyway.

The repentance plan was told to my parents, but not to me. My parents didn't care about my repenting. My mom was angry at JS for much of her life and my parents and my moms siblings got in trouble often for questioning church officials.

I was in the bishies office for Tithing Settlement.

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 11:26PM

Um, no, nothing like that has happened to me!!

Thanks for the story! I have been LURKING here waiting to get the scoop! You did not disappoint!!!!

Happy birthday and congratulations!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 01:53AM by dinah.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 11:45PM

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 12:02AM

Wow VV, that is quite a story. How absolutely assinine of the ignorant %$#&^^ Bishop. And to say that they had set a repentance plan that obviously you knew nothing about!!!! 40 years ago!!! Oh hoho, if it wasn't so ridiculous it it would be hilarious!!

I actually am very glad for you, you did better than I did staying in tscc till my 40s.

Have a wonderful, wonderful birthday, and thanks for sharing your story. I hadn't seen it before and it is a corker!! Being disfellowshipped for playing rock music, but being told to come back and play the Chrsitmas service. I actually LOVE it. It kind of says it all doesn't it???

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 12:17AM

Anybody else here kicked out at a younger age? We may have a candidate here for the Salamander Book of Records.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 12:50AM

Happy Birthday, and many more.

They didn't throw me out until I was 26.

As I read VV's story I get very angry with the parents. What in the HELL were they thinking??? They have a gifted child that's all of 15. He plays some music on the church that the bish just happens to hear. It's not anything that's all that bad. In fact, it sounds like there may even be people who would pay money to hear that. The bishop is a control freak. The parents seem to have zero loyalty or courage when it comes to standing up for their own child. It's appalling that they would let anyone treat you like that. Why were you in the bishops office alone? Why weren't they interviewing the bish and finding out what HIS problems were?

I do have to say that this sounds like my parents. They would have given complete control of their own children over to total strangers in the mormon church. Myself, hell would have frozen over before this would have happened to one of my kids.

If you would have been my child, you would have been sheltered. In fact, my entire family would have been sheltered from him. This is why I made such a lousy mormon. I couldn't go along to get along.

I've been labeled as rebellious by a LOT of mormons. So be it. I always pointed out that I may be rebelling against them, but not against God. I certainly didn't get any points for that. I didn't go to church to be popular or part of a social elite club. I didn't join because of any person there, and I didn't leave because of anyone either.

I left because I found out the truth. The foundation of mormonism is built on lies and deception. It's as simple as that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 03:08AM by madalice.

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 02:26AM

Interesting story verilyverily. Happy Birthday from a friend in the UK.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 03:24AM

Happy Birthday verilyverily. Wow, Doors, Iron Butterfly, Santana ...you were (are still) a pretty cool kid. As a fellow keyboardist, that's the best story I've heard yet for getting kicked out of the morg. Priceless! Rock on!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 03:38AM

Belated happy birthday. I really appreciate your posts VV.

Your bishop was an idiot.

Their "love" became a funeral pyre...

Have a great day

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Ikki ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 05:03AM

Happy birthday! When you mentioned that you were the ward organist and you also played in a cover band of the Doors I immediately had Light my Fire in my hears and imagined you playing exactly that on the church organ, even before I read in the next paragraph taht that is exactly what happened!
All the best to you.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 01:05PM

Happy belated birthday! You're one month younger than I am. You've also got quite the story! Congratulations on being free for so long!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 03:02PM

A VERY Happy Birthday to you and a wonderful Birthday year.

Your bold, no nonsense words holding the cult accountable have helped me in my recovery process. Loved your organ story.

And, like you, I have no doubt in my mind that to call Mormonism a cult, is to label it exactly what it is. A damn evil cult.

Posted by: raindancer ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 07:36PM

How despicable to kick a young person out for committing the unpardonable sin of "QUESTIONING THE AUTHORITY OF THE CHURCH!!!" Your bravery resulted in a life of freedom. Congratulations and have a great birthday!

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 08:09PM

Happy birthday and many more returns.
I left in 1960 after graduating high school in the small farm town. I was not kicked out, just invited not to return to church until I repented for kicking the shit out of the bishops son. He was in the hospital for 3 days, I Never returned. Life is good,,

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 08:14PM

You should be a happy person. Being free of religious fakery is alwas liberating.

Posted by: strangite ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 08:25PM

So, the only people that played the organ at my ward were super cool. When my grandma was cleaning the keyboards, my grandpa played. (unless you're my aunt or uncle)

Anyways, The Lord Is My Shepherd, was and is my favorite tune.

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 02:17AM

Happy birthday!

Other Susan

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 09:40AM

Happy birthday, verily! I love you and wish you the best!
That's quite a story. Man, your bishop was a major prick. What a **ithead. You're obviously a cool person, and he just couldn't take it. What a loser who abuses children physically and emotionally.
WWJD? Abuse and berate?
I'm so glad you are out of the fake church.

Date: March 29, 2015 05:29PM

Happy Birthday! :o)

Date: March 29, 2015 05:29PM

Hey, how come it posted twice?

Oh well. Happy Birthday again! LOL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 05:30PM by Greyfort.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 05:35PM

Happy Birthday, verilyverily!!!

:)

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 05:39PM

Happy Birthday!

(I'm a March baby also. Pisces.)

Music does change the world... Rock on!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 06:36PM

Happy Birthday verilyverily

Happy Birthday verilyverily! From a fellow member of the gruesome twosome. Ha!

;o)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:41AM

1. For having and sharing you birthday.

2. For not going back after the affront of disfellowship.

Freedom is sweet.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:45AM

Happy birthday, Verilyverily.

And thanks for your contributions to the board.

I don't always agree but I always find your point of view interesting ;-)

Have a wonderful day

Tom in Paris

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:41AM

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:43AM

EVERYDAY is a good day to NOT be a MORmON !!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.