Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kkarli10 ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 11:02PM

I left the church six years ago. I was a member for 30 years. I have mixed emotions over it. I don't believe in the religion but there are things I mess. I feel that it is very hard adjusting to the outside world. Does anyone relate to this and have any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kkarli10 ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 11:02PM

Miss

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 11:03PM

Kali,

Can you elaborate on what you miss? Do you miss the fellowshipping aspect?

If you can be more specific, you may get better replies

Posted by: HopiBon! ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 11:17PM

Mt good friend's wife returned after about 10 years out in almost every sense to help with the young women's organization in her ward. She missed the camaraderie with the women living near her (heart of the Moridor). She had found other ways of serving in the community during her time away from the church so it was mainly the instant friends that a ward provides.

I think this benefits women more than men but I do have one life long friend I made in a ward 25 years ago so I could be wrong.

She's finishing up her time in the YW leadership and if the ward doesn't give her another big job and make he feel somewhat duty bound to accept it, I'm sure she'll drift back away from it.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 09:13AM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 01:43PM

It would have been worth it.

Fortunately, I met a never-mo and married within a year or so. Yes, there were times when it was difficult to adjust to the non-Mormon world, but in time I was able to pull it off. I got a job and met non-Mormons and started liking my life very much in spite of feeling awkward at times.

I'm so glad I left. Life would have been a nightmare if I'd stayed and tried to be a Mormon all of these years.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 03:44PM

If it's fellowship that you miss, there are other places to go. As has been mentioned often, the Unitarian-Universalists allow for a wide range of beliefs and non-beliefs, with a generally liberal point of view. They have lots of activities, which are generally positive and constructive. And they don't dump a lot of demands on you.

For a less liberal group, there are other churches and social groups that you might try. Not knowing exactly what you are looking for makes is difficult to suggest where to go.

Quakers can be nice, since most of the "services" are simply quiet time with other people. No lectures about what to do or not to do or which political views are best. There are more and less liberal Quakers, and sometimes they even meet together. And some groups do have social times as well. Different members of the group may feel moved to speak about some issue, and it may not agree with your own thoughts, but others may also feel moved to speak about things that you do agree with.

Let us know what you miss, so we can make better suggestions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.