Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quentin Cook ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 05:02AM

I know of a young returned missionary from Austrlia who served a mission recently in the Philippines.He now is married to a Filipino Mormon lady.This guy may have no clue that past Mormon apostles preached against interacial marriages.They did not specifically prohibit them,but advised against them.It is amazing younger Mormon who marry across racial lines can do so in very blissfully unaware state of mind without examing past sermons and writings from Mormon leaders 50 years ago or more.
Do any Mormon leaders from within the top tier of leadership still publicly issue statements advising against a Caucasian man marrying an Asian or African woman?Mia Love is the exception.I wonder if she is so ignorant of past staements on the issue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 06:52AM

Mia Love is certainly an interesting person and has a fascinating life story.Its my opinion however that the Church of the last 10-15 years has very little spoken racism at least not openly in most areas.There are however still folks up at the top who were in prominent positions back in 1978 Monson in the twelve and Oaks as BYU Pres.and then even after the ban was lifted a lot of leaders would advise against interracial relationships in hushed tones even as late as 1996 from my mmemory.I personally think the racist past of the church is one the 3 or 4 simplest reasons to explain why the church is false.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 07:12AM

My experience is this. I grew up in Michigan, where my ward had a tiny bit of diversity on one side, then of course the other was Detroit, but there were not a ton of black Mormons, go figure.

So me, my bestie, another stake girl, moved to Utah in 85. I ended up marrying a Mexican American, my bestie a Mexican, and my other stake girl, a Chinese man. Another couple friend of ours was alos interracial. I would say that we were not taught that it was a problem at church, and obviously didn't have an issue with it.

Now, I think it seemed acceptable because all these men were RM's, and somehow that was fine. Maybe we were the trendsetters, I don't know, but it never even occurred to us it would be an issue.

My cousin came to byu a few years before that and got preggers by an Iranian, and my grandma had "predicted" that. I dated a black man here in Utah. So we just didn't see it as an issue.

Weird I guess. I think it was an issue later though in the 90's. My paretns were worried about cultural differences, that he would beat and cheat on me. He did cheat, but because he was gay.....that's anoterh story.

When we adopted our son it was brought up that we could adopt 2 "matching" babies, then go with non matching after that. Ummmm. I was up for anything,, and we ended up with a Puerto rican Mexican white boy. He isn't white at all though.

My other friend from our ward married a black man from Compton, they met in japan, go figure.

They were more worried about ushaving oral sex than what color of skin you had. Fun times. It was about love then.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 09:08AM

recent statements suggesting that people not marry outside their race.

My good friend married a Japanese guy (also a good friend). I never thought anything of it nor did they. I had forgotten about this teaching and I sometimes wonder what they think.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 09:13AM

In the early days of the church, men were urged to marry "Lamanite" wives as a means of making the Lamanites white and delightsome. Dudley Leavitt was practically ordered to marry his 4th wife, an Indian woman, who said she would marry Dudley or no one. She got to marry Dudley, who already had three wives.

The marriage lasted and the 4th wife was accepted by the first three.

Eventually there would be a fifth wife.

As polygamist marriages go, Dudley did right.

Lois

Date: December 23, 2015 11:11AM

Actually the Lamanite woman seems the happiest of that bunch.

Everyone else has their mouth permanently turned downs.

Oh, well.

According to Juanita Brooks, Dudley was well loved by just about everyone in his family.

Lois

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 08:37PM

The Lamanite lady probably didn't know the custom of the time.

This video clip explains all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SslNMLO0tw

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 09:38AM

In the early 80s it was still being recommended not to have interracial marriage. However it was usually only against the "seed of cain". Other lighter skinned people where acceptable as long as they were Mormon.

I was taught this in primary and at sacrament meeting.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 10:04AM

“We recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally, and of somewhat the same economic and social and educational background (some of those are not an absolute necessity, but preferred), and above all, the same religious background, without question” (Spencer Kimball, “Marriage and Divorce,” in 1976 Devotional Speeches of the Year [Provo: Brigham Young University Press, 1977], p. 144).

That quote is in the current Aaronic Priesthood Lesson manual, being taught to every young man in the church.

https://www.lds.org/manual/aaronic-priesthood-manual-3/lesson-31-choosing-an-eternal-companion?lang=eng

Date: December 23, 2015 11:29AM

Spencer Kimball married the daughter of a polygamist.

Is that okay?

According to the current bishop's handbook the children of polygamist CANNOT be baptized except under the same set of circumstances the children of same-sex parents can be baptizes; ie., over 18 and renouncing their parents' marital choice.

Camille Kimball NEVER renounced her parents' marital choice.

Lois

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 08:32PM

Camilla :-)

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 12:33PM

^^^ Regarding permanently turned-down mouths:
WOW- that describes my TBM BIL to a tee. He actually has a permanent frown!

His oldest daughter met her future husband at BYU. No big surprise...but the guy is a convert,and Iranian. No matter that he's a great provider, husband and father, he's still the "wrong race", 3 kids later.
His adopted Polynesian daughter married a Native Indian, he was beyond rude and pissed off. At a family get together, he refused to serve him a piece of steak, handing him a hot dog instead.
At which point, me and my big mouth said "I would never want to be a Mormon if this is how you're taught to behave"
ZING!

Posted by: fool ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 12:57PM

I had read enough church material that when I was dating I was worried that I might be doing the wrong thing, and secretly angry that anyone ever taught that it was wrong.

It chaffed me that the Prophets couldn't even get that and so many other things right, but that I had to trust their word over my own judgment. That was a start of the wedge that eventually drove me out of the church.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 01:40PM

Just for the hell of it:

Humans like to have compartments to place things in. Take a dog out for a walk and people are always asking "What breed/type is it?.

Many people firmly believe that you should keep the breeds pure and ideal. They limit the gene pool to an arbitrary set of characteristics and call them purebreds.

It is a highly popular belief that you are "Born Better" because of who your parents or ancestors are. It was extremely popular in the 1800's & most of the 1900's.

If you combine these two concepts together you can see how many cultures around the world forbid interracial/intercultural marriages. It's not a uniquely Mormon thing.

The majority of people agree that inbreeding is bad in humans. There's a lot of laws around the world that prohibit it. Humans clearly show what is called inbred depression. Heterosis (Hybrid vigor) commonly occurs in species where there is inbred depression. Hybrid vigor is when the offspring have superior performing traits than the more inbred parents.

Long story short: Mutts and children of interracial marriage are genetically superior. :-)

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 02:15PM

when I attended lds institute mid 2000's it was taught in the politically correct manual that people should seek for the same societal, economic, cultural status. That's the same thing as saying inter racial marriage is frowned upon, just not as hard language. Mormon D. hasn't changed, nothing has changed.

In my experience at work I see a lot of white women with black/brown men, and wonder why. There's far less white guys that go for it however. I assume guys where I live have more pride than girls?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 08:18PM

Maybe the girls are color blind and so you'd be doing them a favor by letting them know of the error of their ways?

Can't hurt, right?

Posted by: Quake ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 08:28PM

what?? So those of us that are white that choose a partner of a different race have less pride than others? What a filthy , and inaccurate thing to say poopstone. My kids dad is mixed race and so are they. I have plenty of pride, As do others I know with such families.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 08:36PM

I dunno, my experience is seeing lots of white guys really go for the other race girls, especially asian... this is at byu. Probably there were just more asian girls there than other minority races.

Posted by: anonforthisone ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 03:21PM

A correction to the post by ificouldhietokolob above regarding the aaronic priesthood manual. That manual was discontinued end of 2012. 'Come follow me' is now taught to youth.

I remember preparing that lesson from that manual in 2012. That was only 3 years ago. I was disgusted at what I was reading, since it was relevant to me. Needless to say I didn't teach that bigoted drivel.

At the time I shelved it and carried on. It is only now that I realise where this racism is rooted.

Discusting! Only 3 years ago the "true" church was teaching that.

To me this rascist agenda is the big smoking gun.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 06:15PM

The same quote is found in their current "Eternal Marriage Student Manual," (2003), 167–83:

https://www.lds.org/manual/eternal-marriage-student-manual/marriage-for-eternity?lang=eng

But I'm sure they'll scrub that one out of the next edition, too!

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 23, 2015 09:53PM

"the same racial background generally, and of somewhat the same economic and social and educational background (some of those are not an absolute necessity, but preferred), and above all, the same religious background, without question." Kimball

nothing's changed, the link is to the current lds site. Pride in one's 19th century race is taught just the same as was in the past. But I agree tbms, exmos, and jacks should be tolerant and keep our opinions quiet (most of the time).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.