Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sd allison ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 12:02AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 12:24AM

Not something they bought and paid for. That is some weird article.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 22, 2015 05:05PM

“Perhaps the least expected member of the list, in a season dominated by commercial messaging, is a campaign sponsored by the Mormon Church.”

yah, AS IF LD$ Inc's MORmON Jesus Christmas ad campaign has no commercial aspirations/ motivations whatsoever.........

and anyone who really believes that LDS Inc got caught in the act of doing something purely benevolent is dumb enough to be a real MORmON.

Posted by: Elizabeth S. ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 01:01AM

I rarely paid tithing; I refused to. I was skeptical and was a critical thinker.

In 1977, I learned that new converts, in Mexico and South America, were required to pay tithing, even though they had large families, lived in poverty, were starving much of the time and lived in cardboard houses. But the church demanded that every member pay their 10% no matter what. The church told stories about people who saved for their whole lives, just to be able to travel to the U.S. to be sealed in the temple. They sacrificed everything and the church wouldn’t help them get to the temple because the people had to earn their own way.

10% for a Millionaire is NOTHING to them...just a tax write off. 10 % for the Poor, is EVERYTHING.
(Perhaps the millionaires should take up the slack? and pay 50% tithing or more? ... and give the poor guys a break?)

Then, to learn of the avarice (greed) of the LDS church moguls, the millions spent on temples, corporations, real estate...it sickened me, still does, and always will.

I'm stunned to learn about the Ads and the dollars spent, no doubt a sh*t-load of money. Wouldn't that MONEY be better spent on feeding the hungry, helping the widows and orphans (which was supposed to be the essence of what the man Jesus was all about)?

The most pathetic thing is that a church that claims to be Christian, does not emulate what most of us would imagine Jesus would want. Would Jesus even want to envision a church, named after him, as being a Billion dollar Real Estate holding? all the while, ignoring the poor, the addicted, the mentally ill, abused, sad, lonely? by spending money on the corporation and not on the poor souls of the world. Pathetic.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 04:34PM

+1

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 05:37PM

We need something like the Donald Trump effect, except against the church. If the right individual were to speak out about the truth of the church, they could say anything they want and their message would only get more popular each time they speak out. Political incorrectness wouldn't be penalized or result in this person being judged negatively enough to harm their message. Such a person would spend nothing on advertising and everything the church spent on advertising to defend itself would go completely unnoticed by everyone, having no effect other than to piss this person off, guaranteeing even more attacks by them against the church. If you could choose someone as having such powers of persuasion (whether or not they would actually do it), to expose the mormon cult most effectively for the least cost, anyone have ideas for who could do the most damage? As long as the church has money to spend on advertising than we do, this is the only way to win over the public opinion.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2015 05:42PM by azsteve.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: December 22, 2015 04:34AM

After I become rich and famous, I think I could function very well in this role.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2015 04:35AM by Strength in the Loins.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 22, 2015 05:13PM

Mormons buy ads, and decorate the temple grounds to the hilt. Other than that, they don't talk about Christmas.

The one exception was when Romney was running for pres. You would have thought the mormons were all Christmas all the time. They were building nativity scenes as fast as they could con someone into it.

I wonder what happened to all those mangers?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 08:02PM

With all the money that TBM's give the morg, maybe they'd be getting more bang for their buck!??? It sure doesn't look like it....

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 08:27PM

Mormons are walking billboards for the BBC (big bad church).

They advertise what many of them know nothing about.

Posted by: lovespring ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 11:45PM

I was in NY a couple weeks ago and TSCC has a GIANT ad that spans 2-3 city blocks in Times Square. It is "A Savior Is Born" and has the name of the church and a website URL.

It is as if they think we'd never know that Christmas was about the birth of Christ without them! If I had seen something like this when I was writing them big fat checks every month, I would have lost my shit!

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: December 22, 2015 03:05AM

The church's ads simply give a website, instead of say, services on Christmas at specific times and all welcomed. It's pitiful if this is the only thing "special" the church does for Christmas. Many churches have midnight services, or special Christmas programs. If Christmas doesn't fall on a Sunday, mormons don't go to church on Christmas.

Posted by: karma ( )
Date: December 22, 2015 05:33PM

"the results speak for themselves." What results? You know if even one person had been baptized because of this sales pitch, it would be all over the internet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.