Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 12:52PM

Sadly one of my brothers and his wife have disowned us for reposting an article about children with gay parents are now considered apostates. To me it is sad that when Mormons get caught showing their bigotry their response is to blame the messenger not the idiots that are bigots.

Merry Christmas to all my bigot Mormon relatives. You really are disciples of Jesus. Not the Christian Jesus the Mormon Jesus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 12:57PM

I'm on the verge... I finally couldn't 'bite my tongue' when my TBM SIL reposted a TBM's plea to trust the prophet over popular culture's views on the subject of gays.

I asked him, in a comment, if we could look at the Blacks & The Priesthood issue as an example of following the prophet.

That was three days ago. My comment just sits there, alone, ignored... But he hasn't unfriended me ... yet.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 01:46PM

I was wondering if TBM's ever have an original thought. This whole thing answered that for me.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 04:07PM

Original thoughts will get you kicked out of their "church".

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 08:21PM

They think what the leaders tell them to think...isn't that original?

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 02:06PM

I feel your pain. I too am being shunned for FB comments. My TBM SIL pumps a non-stop stream of TBM propaganda through Facebook, often tagging and/or sharing with specific people. I was beyond sick of it.

She pumped out a link to this irrational, double-think mumbo jumbo:

http://mormonscholarstestify.org/1718/valerie-hudson-cassler

...and she tagged all the nieces with a comment about how "smart" and "well written" it was.

My daughters a) aren't that stupid, and b) aren't interested (because we've inoculated them against Mo'ism), but I decided to comment that there was a lot of rationalizing going on in the article.

Not being smart enough to see the difference between a critique of the author's weak reasoning in the article (i.e. twisted rationalizing) and an "attack" on Joseph's Myth, all her TBM friends started a pile-on, vomiting out their testimonies, and how they can't wait to be eternal mothers, etc.

Anyway, she unfriended us on FB and we're going on about 18 months of no communication now.

Hey, it might be a small price to pay to be left alone! ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 02:07PM by nomonomo.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 02:19PM

Oh, and one of my TBM nieces always has the same dopey grin on her face as the lady in the linked article.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 08:18PM

From the article "women have their own apprenticeship to become like their heavenly mother. The ordinances—and they are ordinances—of body and of agency—pregnancy, childbirth, lactation."

So I was ordained to lactate? Wowwwwww.

Posted by: pickle ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 08:21PM

So, does that mean wet dreams are an ordinance for men?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 02:17PM

I parted ways with the majority of my family before Facebook existed. I've been spared a lot mormon bs through fb for that reason.

My husband is stalked by my relatives through his fb account. He doesn't seem to mind most of the time. I have one nephew that's going to get blocked if doesn't quit running his yap about the all glorious cult of mormonism. I don't read the posts, but dh said it's getting pretty bad.

I don't think i'll ever go on fb. too damn many mormons out there poking around.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 04:15PM

If you think about it, FB is the perfect vehicle for mormons. Most mormons are passive aggressive. FB gives them the opportunity to spout their crap without refute. IF you do respond with facts & logic, they can just delete your posts & block you. Out of sight, out of mind. The perfect missionary tool.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 02:25PM

Mormon family wanted me to join FB

I asked "Why"

They responded "So we can keep in touch by sharing photos and stuff".

My response "Why in the hell would I want to do that?"

They stopped bothering me.

We had an almost identical discussion about Skype calls.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 02:26PM

Oh and yeah one of my neices deleted me over the gay issue. She chose the church over me. So be it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 08:05PM

but I have stopped talking to my ex-sister-in-law and a friend of over 30 years. She sent me a Christmas card with a gift card (my old friend) and I gave it to someone else. These 2 did offend me. No one has deleted me over my comments and posts about the gay policy. Many people I never expected to agree with me did agree, like my 2 sisters, who I don't always get along with. They are highly offended. One is inactive for years and the other one is on her way out.

Good riddance to your brother.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 08:06PM by cl2.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 10:18PM

So much for being punished for our own sins (Article of Faith 2). A child cannot decide if they want to live with their legal guardians or not. Neither has the child done anything wrong.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 10:21PM

Don't you wonder what causes people, especially family members, to have such extreme reactions? Why not just delete the post or unfollow the person? That at least would spare the other person's feelings. But no, they have to unfriend or disown or shun.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 12:42AM

Right on, summer.

I have a bunch of different feelings about this.

First off, disowning a family member over an opinion is such manipulative garbage. "You only say what I want you to say or I will never speak to you again!"

And then, in the second post, I just don't understand how anyone can look at the absolute stupidity that various prophets have poured out over the years, and still pretend that this or any prophet is somehow more right than anyone else, much less 'popular culture."

It truly seems to me that many TBM's are entirely removed from the real world and rational thought. And they are so carefully taught to be that way. If it weren't for people like those on this board, I would be in despair.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.