Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Greengooblygook ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 12:17AM

Tired of thinking what Christmas could be. Been watching shows - big bang theory and how the universe works... again. Where Kalob again?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 03:36AM

Christmas is fun. Dont overthink it. just go back to its true meaning.........

sitting around a burning log eating a feast and celebrating the return of the sun

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 05:37AM

It's a pagan festival anyway. Just a way to have some fun at the darkest time of the year. I agree with EssexExMo, don't overthink it. :)

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 04:04PM

Presumably only to pagans.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 05:41AM

No need to let it take over. Keep your expectations reasonable.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 11:39AM

One yule log was no longer enough.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UwQIEBp4UhQ/VF0GVR_V5LI/AAAAAAAAETE/WFWBwdmW8Cw/w800-h800/Giant-Log-Pile.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2015 11:39AM by seekyr.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 09:51AM

Where are you Christmas? Why can't I find you?
Why have you gone away?
Where is the laughter you used to bring me?
Why can't I hear music play?

My world is changing,
I'm rearranging
Does that mean Christmas changes too?

Where are you Christmas? Do you remember
The one you used to know?
I'm not the same one, see what the time's done
Is that why you have let me go?

Christmas is here
Everywhere, oh
Christmas is here
If you care, oh.

If there is love in your heart and your mind
You will feel like Christmas all the time.

I feel you, Christmas, I know I've found you
You never fade away.
The joy of Christmas stays here inside us,
Fills each and every heart with love.

Where are you Christmas?
Fills your heart with love.

~ Faith Hill

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 09:55AM

The best part of Christmas is getting laid in a manger... or anywhere handy!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 09:58AM

Good luck getting Santa to come more than once a year, or anyplace other than down the chimney!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 11:03AM

Ancient mostly ignorant humans got frightened as winter approached and the days got shorter. Not understanding our solar system or planetary orbits or axial tilts, they feared the sun spending less time in the sky, and the days getting shorter, was permanent -- and that things would never go back to more sun and longer days. When they began to notice that around Dec. 21 (on our calendar) every year, the days stopped getting shorter and started getting longer again, they celebrated. It was, to them, a re-birth; the earth plunged into the cold and dark of winter only to awaken again to the promise of spring and new life. And the cycle was reliable.

Christians took over the holiday, to pretend their magical god-man was born at the time of the beginning of re-awakening and new life, but their takeover doesn't change the real "reason for the season" -- the end of the days getting shorter, the beginning of the return of the sun high in the sky, and the promise of another cycle of new life and warmth.

Celebrate *that.* In fact and as metaphor. Nearly all of us here were in the darkness of ignorance and delusion in the church, and we broke that cycle to emerge to new life, new possibilities, new and accurate knowledge. For each of us, our winter solstice of darkness has passed, and we have (or are in the process of) emerged into the dawn of spring.

THAT is worth celebrating.
"Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along." (Jeff Lynne)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 11:10AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: lovechild ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 11:59AM

Well, Hie

If Christmas means quivering in ignorant superstitious fear, while hanging out with your friends and family chomping down roast hauch of venison, puddings of flour suet dried fruit, chugging flagons of ale, delicately nibbling brussels sprouts, apples and chestnuts, well mixed wth kisses, hugs and dances, then let the terror begin!

Oh, and did I mention the flagons of ale??

Date: December 16, 2015 12:13PM

lovechild Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, and did I mention the flagons of ale??

I'm in! :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 04:05PM

Posted by: greengobbleyguck ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 09:09PM

its scarey it gets dark at 3pm... all I can think about it roasting chest nuts.

Date: December 16, 2015 09:11PM

worst of all is there is NO SNOW!! how can I think about sleigh bells and listening with no snow?

Date: December 16, 2015 09:17PM

well hoop into a time machine and change all that. unless you can find a way to introduce new pagan traditions to slowly change away from a baby birthday which doesn't even hit December!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 06:05AM

Thank you, Hie! You just wrote all of us a lovely Christmas Card!

Me--I like red ornaments on green trees, food, presents, twinkle lights, and shiny things!

Simple? Not simple at all! I've been working and playing very hard. I've been alone, off and on, some Christmases, but never lonely. Cult-free Christmases have been the best, ever!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 09:46PM

We have decorated very little. Our son and his family will be here along with our daughter and my brother. The fact I have my birth family to share it with (via phone and skype) for the first time makes this Christmas pretty special....and I'm generally a grinch.

RB

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 08:18AM

One of the things I love about the "returning of the sun" is that almost EVERY religion has a festival of lights of some sort....undoubtedly left over from our paleolithic days...whew! Sun came back!

I tend to celebrate EVERYTHING. Chanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa...I even fast during Ramadan. I am totally willing to celebrate...probably from decades of being put to sleep in Sacrament Meetings and RS.

Party On!

(I AM religious and DO believe in a creator. That being said, I also have a degree in Physics....so I am aware that there is a chance I'm totally delusional re: Religion.LOL)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 11:24AM

It is a secular myth that Christians adopted an already existing pagan holiday. Telesphorus, 2nd bishop of Rome (129-138) spoke of Dec. 25 celebrations, as did Theophilus, bishop of Caesarea, same period, and Hippolytus who identified the 25th as the Lord's birthday in 200 A.D.

Emperor Aurelian established the 25th as the official solstice in 275 A.D., and the Romans did not designate Dec. 25 a holiday ("Birth of the Unconquered Sun") until 362 A.D. It was the Romans who adopted an established Christian holiday.

Date: December 17, 2015 12:45PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a secular myth that Christians adopted an
> already existing pagan holiday. Telesphorus, 2nd
> bishop of Rome (129-138) spoke of Dec. 25
> celebrations, as did Theophilus, bishop of
> Caesarea, same period, and Hippolytus who
> identified the 25th as the Lord's birthday in 200
> A.D.
>
> Emperor Aurelian established the 25th as the
> official solstice in 275 A.D., and the Romans did
> not designate Dec. 25 a holiday ("Birth of the
> Unconquered Sun") until 362 A.D. It was the Romans
> who adopted an established Christian holiday.

Sorry, no sale.
The Romans celebrated "Saturnalia" as long as there were Romans. The temple to Saturn in Rome was dedicated in 497 BCE. Saturnalia was a "pre-solstice" festival, with public events running until Dec. 17 on their calendar, and then private in-home rituals from then to the week after the solstice, all of which were "public holidays."

December 17 was the first day of the astrological sign Capricorn, the house of Saturn, the planet named for the god. Its proximity to the winter solstice (December 21-December 23 on the Julian calendar was endowed with various meanings by both ancient and modern scholars: for instance, the widespread use of wax candles (cerei, singular cereus) may refer to "the returning power of the sun's light after the solstice."" Dec. 19, two days after the last public Saturnalia celebration, was designated as a day of "gift giving," documented as early as 300 BCE.

Aurelius didn't declare the 25th the "official solstice" at all. He declared the cult of Sol Invictus an "official Roman cult" (alongside other traditional ones) in 274 CE (not 275), giving first official approval of the Dec. 25th Sol Invictus holiday, but it had been celebrated by the non-official cult before that for centuries.

The Roman cult to Sol is continuous from the "earliest history" of the city until the institution of Christianity as the exclusive state religion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.