Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:15PM

My friend just forwarded this to me. Looks like the backlash from the Church's youth is growing.

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

The following fireside from President Spencer W. Kimball may provide some comfort to those struggling with the recent changes to the Handbook of Instructions. Please be cautious of what you read on social media or the internet. As always, I'm available to if you would like to meet personally to discuss.

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1980/04/the-savior-the-center-of-our-lives

"Do not be surprised if all things are not immediately understandable to you and if some things must be accepted by faith, awaiting the day when that which is unclear becomes clear, when some duty which is now difficult will become a delight. Do not be puzzled if sometimes there are those in the world who mock how you live and what you believe, saying it is all false, but who, deep inside themselves, are really afraid that what you believe is really true."

I look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday.

Best regards,
Bishop XXXXXXXXXXX

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:18PM

To paraphrase "Don't understand bigotry and discrimination its okay you will in time. Believe me .. "

Blind obedience is of the devil correct?

Posted by: anon11 ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:22PM

"Do not be puzzled if sometimes there are those in the world who mock how you live and what you believe, saying it is all false, but who, deep inside themselves, are really afraid that what you believe is really true."

Boy, that sure rings true with me, and I imagine it does with many exmos on this board. I am very afraid that Mormon policy and doctrine is all true, and that when I get to heaven, Jesus will condemn me to hell for my acceptance of my gay friends AND their children.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:40PM

Oh yeah. I'm terrified.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 08:22PM

I, myself, am not horribly afraid. Been out too long. But I love how she stated things.

http://mormonchildbride.blogspot.com/

Posted by: shadowofadoubt ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 06:37PM

It's absolutely true, but in the opposite way of which they intend! Mormons are terrified that we are right and it causes them to lash out in their crazy apologetic attempts. Poor souls...

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:24PM

Don't look at the old farts behind the curtain!!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:27PM

But even if you can't see 'em, you can still smell 'em!

: )

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:47PM

Let me see if I can parse this out:

"Do not be surprised if all things are not immediately understandable to you and if some things must be accepted by faith"

I know nothing makes any sense. Try not to make sense of it.

"awaiting the day when that which is unclear becomes clear, when some duty which is now difficult will become a delight."

I know there's not logic to the decisions being made and we're asking you to do things that feel wrong. Keep doing it until it feels right.

"Do not be puzzled if sometimes there are those in the world who mock how you live and what you believe, saying it is all false, but who, deep inside themselves, are really afraid that what you believe is really true."

People who can see the BS clearly will try to get you to see clearly too, but it's all a trick! They secretly wish they could be as confused and wrongheaded as you are!

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:48PM

So believe the guy when he says this:

"Do not be surprised if all things are not immediately understandable to you and if some things must be accepted by faith, awaiting the day when that which is unclear becomes clear, when some duty which is now difficult will become a delight. Do not be puzzled if sometimes there are those in the world who mock how you live and what you believe, saying it is all false, but who, deep inside themselves, are really afraid that what you believe is really true."

But if you run across this that the same guy said, remember THAT time he was "speaking as a man":

“The day of the Lamanites is nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised. In this picture of the twenty Lamanite missionaries, fifteen of the twenty were as light as Anglos; five were darker but equally delightsome. The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation.... At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl-sixteen sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents on the same reservation, in the same Hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather. There was the doctor in a Utah city who for two years had had an Indian boy in his home who stated that he was some shades lighter than the younger brother just coming into the program from the reservation. These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and delightsomeness. One white elder jokingly said that he and his companion were donating blood regularly to the hospital in the hope that the process might be accelerated.”

- Prophet Spencer W. Kimball, General Conference, Oct. 1960

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:56PM

Wow. I wish I had the guts to respond to the whole mailing list with this passage. Good find.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:48PM

levantlurker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do not be puzzled if sometimes there are
> those in the world who mock how you live and what
> you believe, saying it is all false, but who, deep
> inside themselves, are really afraid that what you
> believe is really true."
>
> I look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday.
>
> Best regards,
> Bishop XXXXXXXXXXX

What a complete idiot!. The youth of the 21st century are not like the naive youth of the '70s.

This bishop lives in the past.

No one is afraid that this bullshit of a policy is "true"
Jackass.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:56PM

What use is God's mouthpiece if he can't explain things thoroughly and in such a way that people WILL understand?
Where is the GUIDANCE he supposedly is providing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2015 06:56PM by seekyr.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:02PM

So they are telling ppeople to not read the media , but if they accidentally do they will be too stupid to understand what they're reading and to not be surprised by that . Go to the bishop and he will tell you exactly what the media was talking about about. He will explain it to you in a way so you can clearly understand how wrong the media is .

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:03PM

anon11 - me too. I am scared shitless. I worry that the CULT just might be true exactly NEVER.

Posted by: bender ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:20PM

Great to read this. I'm sure YSA wards will probably be the hardest hit from members leaving over the policy change. They were already having trouble keeping their young single adults from going inactive before the policy. Maybe someone should tell the leaders in Salt Lake, if they want to keep millenials in the church, maybe being homophobic isn't the right path.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:26PM

Your absolutely correct.

In other words:

- Just obey us and don't doubt us.

- Remember we are at war with the adversary, you know (sarcasm) the guy in the temple who always tells the truth, but is the father of lies outside the temple.

- Your leaders won't lead you astray.

- I'm your bishop. I like my job. I have to report to the stake president. I need to keep my flock together or else I'll get a verbal thrashing. I need my leaders to see I'm doing a good job. I need you to support me. I need the leaders to pat me on the back that I'm helping you through this issue.

- You need to forgive these evil accusations and apostates pointing their fingers against the church. You need to forgive them for their conduct.

- Why, just read SWK's "Miracle of Forgiveness."

Sure....that'll screw them up for sure!

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 11:34PM

jiminycricket Wrote:
> I'm your bishop. I like my job. I have to report
> to the stake president. I need to keep my flock
> together or else I'll get a verbal thrashing."

...or even worse, they will merge two wards and I will no longer be a hot shot bishop and will not be able to send bullshit emails like this one telling youth who and what to believe.

Posted by: Elder Strangelove ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:36PM

What he meant to say was:

There are those in the world who mock how you live and what you believe, saying it is all false, but who, deep inside themselves, are really afraid *that you believe it is really true*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2015 07:36PM by Elder Strangelove.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:42PM

Nothing like keeping up with the times by invoking Spencer W. Kimball.

Posted by: ghostie ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 01:31AM

Uhhh...wasn't Spencer Kimball a prophet of god, or something?

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 01:58AM

He was sustained as such.

Posted by: Boredom Gee Hinckley ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 01:04PM

I don't know that we teach that.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:45PM

those in the world who mock how you live and what you believe, saying it is all false, but who, deep inside themselves, are really afraid that what you believe is really true."

Uhhh I think that it's other way around. The leadership of TSCC is afraid

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:50PM

Allow "ME" to translate:

https://youtu.be/kMLO5Bq6dpM

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:51PM

I've heard that line before. "You need to wait until the knowledge of these things are understandable. Some things must be taken on faith, because our leaders are divinely inspired. Follow them without question, and all will be revealed in time." This line of pure bull shit has been foisted on the gullible for thousands of years. It's priest-craft, the longest of the long cons. I'm done with it.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:51PM

Kimball??? Wasn't he as anti gay as Packer!???

Date: November 17, 2015 06:29PM

Kimball was anti-gay to the point that I thought he protested too much. He set off the old gaydar like few other TBM leaders ever did.

Date: November 17, 2015 06:34PM

It will forever be so that religious leaders tell us "Don't worry that things look like bull shit to you right now. It's just that you are to stupid to understand right now. Doubt is of the devil, and you are to blame for allowing it into your heart. Just take it on faith until your cognitive dissonance goes away."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2015 06:36PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 10:53PM

People are mocking LDS inc because it is filled with fear and bigotry not because they are fearful that it is true.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 11:24PM

Well, I got out in 1970 when it became clear that Joseph couldn't read hieroglyphics (with or without god's help) any better than I could. At no time since, have I ever been "really afraid that what [Mormons] believe is really true". As a matter of fact, everything I have learned since about Mormonism has more deeply convinced me that it's really, really false!

I love the warning to "be cautious of what you read on social media or the internet" but not warning about being cautious of Church teachings? Judging by the contents, it would appear that it's the email originator himself who's "really afraid".

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 01:44AM

dear bishop, I do not care what you have to say to me about anything. There is no way that you could be authoritative or genuine on any issue, because your parents were gay. Do not try to deny it. The Holy ghost has confirmed it to me. By the power of the spirit, I know that your parents truly were gay, even if you do not, or can not acknowledge.
ESAD, you spiritually inferior son of gay parents.

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 10:56AM

The following is the underlying message I get from the above:

"Oh no! What if the young adults hear or read something that makes more sense to them than we do?"

It seems like it's the Mormon leadership who are running a little low on confidence in their message to me. If questions are raised to them they can just answer them through the authority they're given, right? Right?

crickets*...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 02:45PM

levantlurker Wrote:
> Do not be puzzled if sometimes there are
> those in the world who mock how you live and what
> you believe, saying it is all false, but who, deep
> inside themselves, are really afraid that what you
> believe is really true."

Yes, but "deep inside" we're not afraid that their nonsense is "true." We know it isn't. There's more than ample evidence to show that it isn't. How about that.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 03:07PM

The big problem with the LDS Church is that they have not kept up with science.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 03:19PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
> The big problem with the LDS Church is that they
> have not kept up with science.

Or society. Or reason. Or America. Or...anything else.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.