Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anderoy ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 04:07PM

All my life I lived the WOW and to this day, I don't smoke or drink. I lift weights, I am in good shape and in spite of all that, somehow got Diabetes. I'm not insulin dependent or anything, but still ... what happened to the health promises?

Oh ya, I always forget that last phrase of the covenant where they nail you "...walking in obedience to the commandments...".

So unless one is perfect ... no dice. No promise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 04:14PM

One more proof that its fake. All fake.

If the WoW was what it claims to be, why do prophets get sick and die?

Posted by: cheeseandcrackers ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 04:16PM

They die because they are old as dirt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 04:17PM by cheeseandcrackers.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 04:16PM

It could be genetics or something. In my case, I ate myself into it, although it turns out my paternal grandmother had it as well.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 04:22PM

Sooner or later time and genetics are going to get us.

No one gets out of this alive.

Following a sensible take care of your body plan is not counter productive. It may have caused your diabetes to be delayed, or not as strong as if you had been a chronic drinker or smoker.

Plus, the other health benefits from not smoking outweigh the risks of smoking. And from over boozing, you've saved wear and tear on your body parts.

Instead of looking at why the cup is half empty, be thankful it's still half full.

:)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 04:31PM

Did you follow all of it?

Did you eat meat only in times of famine or winter and the sparingly?

Did you eat the appropriate grain?

Posted by: anderoy ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 04:40PM

Amyjo, of course you are right, ... Generally speaking, I am the one who has remained positive in spite of circumstances. I'm just a little pissed off today.

Just seems like the answers are too convenient.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 05:06PM

Same here; I was fit (plenty of exercise for decades), not overweight (BMI maybe 22) and had excellent eating habits BOOM, Diabetes. It doesn't even run in my family. In my case the Diabetes seems to be a side effect of chemotherapy some years back. Some chemotherapy drugs can adversely affect the pancreas. I would never in a million years have thought I could get this miserable disease.

I am so sorry you have to deal with this in your life now.

You would do well to learn what you can about this shit. Be informed. Monitor b.g. levels and be the consumer from hell about what you put in your mouth.

Yes, I am still fracking angry about the whole thing.

Wishing you well ..........

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 05:22PM

And then there is always the 'less valiant in the prehistory' copout.

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 05:26PM

A lot of us are in the same boat. Even if you kept the commandments it would still be something else you didn't do right! It's never the church.

The church basically ran my health into the ground with all the stress I endured. when I finally left I found that my cortisol was all out of wack and my adrenals are shot and I am prediabetic now.And I'm angry about it too. It's a lot harder to fix when you're in your late 40's. Sometimes when people are talking about church stuff I get that same panic feeling like when I was still a member and i have to tell myself, "I'm free" and just relax!!!

And lets not even talk about all the crap we ate as a large in numbers, mormon family growing up on a limited income. Not healthy stuff! Cheap stuff. Lots of casseroles.

Date: October 27, 2015 06:21PM

Everyone on my fathers side of the family was diabetic. Every single one of them. They were all thin people.

My father has 6 kids. So far only one of them is diabetic. I live in fear of it. I either have the gene or I don't.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 06:24PM

As it turns out, if you look at facts from carefully gathered statistics rather than church claims, the WoW isn't all that.

It's true, for example, that people in Utah have a general lower cancer rate than much of the rest of the country. However, if you look at specific kinds of cancer, you find that what contributes most to that "low Utah rate" is the relative low rate of lung cancer. Not surprising, since there really are fewer smokers per capita in Utah. However, for other cancers, Utah's rate is on par with everyone else's rate, or in some cases quite a bit higher. Utahns, a fair percentage of whom are WoW observers, have much higher rates of colorectal cancers than the national average. They have a bit higher rates of pancreatic and stomach cancers, and of skin cancers. Most of the rest match up with everybody else NOT observing the WoW.

So yes, not smoking at not drinking have some health benefits. The not drinking part isn't quite so obvious, because while Utahns do have a bit lower rates of liver disease overall, they have higher than average rates of heart disease and high blood pressure -- problems that moderate consumption of alcohol are known to ameliorate. Oops.

The WoW isn't magical commands from god to make you healthy. It's a reflection of some quite popular and quite uninformed "movements" of Smith's day. And if you follow it, you will NOT walk and not be weary, or run and not faint. You'll avoid some problems, make others worse, and have no effect on pretty much everything else.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 06:26PM

May I ask, what is WOW? Thanks in advance! :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 06:35PM

KiNeverMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> May I ask, what is WOW? Thanks in advance! :)

Word Of Wisdom

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:11PM

Found in the doctrine and covenants scriptures section 89.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 06:31PM

Violating the WoW by drinking coffee....reduces the likelihood of getting adult onset diabetes by up to 50%.

Date: October 28, 2015 02:23PM

I drink 16oz. of black coffee every day. My fear of diabetes is one of the reasons I do that.

Date: October 28, 2015 03:26PM

I drink at least 48oz. My fear is real as I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in 2000.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 07:21PM

the Wow is just more bullshit from the mormons. Its meaningless,

I drank in moderation and smoked and I'm the healthiest person I

know. Your health depends on your genetics not on some mumbo

jumbo garbage from a fictional religion creadted by a sexual

predator. Go forth and enjoy things.

Posted by: Je Suis Charlie ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 08:02PM

The WoW is a big mess of words -- nothing more.

I love how it says we will "run and not be weary, walk and not faint." All the Mormons I know get weary when they run, and all of the Gentiles that I know walk and do not faint. So, go figure.

At any rate, I have been thin my whole life, am active, and eat relatively well, and I ended up getting Diabetes, too. So, there are no guarantees. However, it pisses me off that I have avoided coffee my entire life, and then come to find out that coffee reduces your chances of getting diabetes.

Oh well. For me, diabetes is not that bad. I feel better because I eat better, exercise every day, eat in moderation, etc. It does require a lot of self-control, though.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 08:13PM

Re.Post by: amyjo ( ), (Re: WOW.)

Quote, "Sooner or later time and genetics are going to get us....

*No one gets out of this alive".

---

*What a hilarious great line! (Thanks)

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 11:01PM

I worry about this all the time.

My parents, grandparents, and multiple aunts and uncles have diabetus. They're overweight and mainly eat junk food so there's not a big surprise for that.

My siblings are generally overweight and don't exercise so I'm not sure how long they'll last. I make green smoothies, drink kefir, eat meat sparingly, and watch my dieting a lot and they all act like I'm crazy. They're all overweight and don't take good care of themselves though.

I've read a few different books and found that you mainly get it from one or a combination of things such as weight gain, stress, genetics, lack of exercise, and dieting. You can sometimes check to see if you have prediabetus by checking your blood sugar after an 8 hour fast. (typically upon waking up) If it's around 100-125 then you are in a "prediabetus" stage and need to change your diet/lifestyle.

I exercise regularly (cardio and lifting), eat very little sugar and have mainly a plant-based diet, am very stress free, and am very skinny. I still worry about it. I have a blood sugar meter that I use every once in a while in the mornings just to make sure I keep the betus at bay. My parents got it in their 40's so I hope that I can stay away from it for a long time.

Sorry to hear that. My only suggestion is to really change your dieting around so you don't have to take so many drugs. I have several friends who do that and still live very healthy lifestyles. My parents eat junk food all day and then just pop a bunch of pills or shoot themselves up with insulin. Try to change your diet instead of masking your problems with chemicals.

That's my two cents.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 04:13AM

On my dad's side of the family, type 2 diabetes and heart disease are genetic, as is high blood pressure. My grandpa had diabetes and while he took care of his diet, even going to the dangerous extreme of fasting when diet wasn't enough to control his blood sugar, it was heart disease that ended up killing him. He was one of those strict Catholics who believed that if you were sick, it was your fault in some way, which is why he often fasted in an attempt to get his blood sugar under control without medication.

My mom was always thin, and in her 50's, her doctor was shocked when she had high cholesterol, and when the second test confirmed it, my mom went on medication. On her side of the family, high cholesterol is genetic, so for her, medication is the only way to really control it.

Date: October 28, 2015 03:29PM

Note that diabetes is also related with depression and, if one drinks, alcoholism.

Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:05PM

Few people remain completely healthy as they age. It is the blessing of good genetics that largely allows some to reach old age with no health problems. The WOW doesn't address what we now know are problems in many diets. The best advice I get out of it is this: "moderation in all thing". That means sugar, enriched flour and meat all of which the WOW doesn't address.

Using coffee and alcohol to bludgeon Mo's is just one item of a long list of nonsense and BS hoops they are required to jump through.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:12PM

It does mention meat

Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 06:22PM

True

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 06:18PM

==== waving hand=====

I am healthy and I will be 60 in March! I am a retired RN and specialized in cardiac nursing in the units in the hospital. Everything I learned I used as my own personal health plan.

But I am having to deal with something new: aging. It is not a illness or a injury and you don't grow out of it like puberty. The cure for aging is death . Yeah. Heavy.

But now with the dignity in dying law/act here in California , we don't have to suffer with " prolonged dying "

I kinda got on a tangent there. But, hey, MMJ is an herb, so that is ok , right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2015 06:23PM by lue.

Posted by: anonforthis123 ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 11:32PM

I was so faithful. Through my parents divorce, the death of my brother...I remained so committed.

When I became a mother, I breastfed for 2 years. I wore my baby in a sling. I made all of her baby foods from scratch using home made fruits and veggies. I co-slept. She never had sugary foods or drinks, and only ate whole grain foods when offered.

That baby was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three weeks after her second birthday. She almost died. She will wear an insulin pump 24/7/365 for the rest of her life (unless there's a cure).

Perhaps it was the disposable diapers?

At any rate, we have no history of any type of diabetes anywhere in either of our families. T1D is autoimmune and my LDS roots brought a strong history of that to the table: Lupus, MS, Celiac, Rheumatoid, Hypothyroidism...

Damn cult.

Good luck to you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.