Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freedom1 ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 08:59AM

I've got a family member that I just came out to about the church and they're actually listening to me. It's been a couple years since I left so I don't have all the details I used to have on the top of my head about all the main shit/lies from the church, particularly about journal of discourses, early church, sparkles basically being paid, etc.etc. They're leaving today and some quick facts, etc would be great!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 09:00AM

CES Letter.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 09:03AM

I agree, the CES letter has it all in one place. You can find it here:

http://cesletter.com

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 09:33AM

start with a conversation about City Creek. this is what started me to questioning, lol!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 09:18PM

Ha! Well a TBM family member of mine was just showing pictures of their kids at City Creek Mall while they were vacationing up there and just cheerfully added that "the church built it to revitalize downtown Salt Lake". So to a TBM, it's all PERFECTLY NORMAL for a church to build a shopping mall. Sheesh!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 09:35AM

Have your friend spend a few hours on Google.

Mormonthink.com will help too.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 10:00AM

The churches own essays are a good place to start too. They are at the top of this board.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 10:15AM

<<sparkles basically being paid>>

What does this mean?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 10:26AM

C'mon, man! How can anyone expect sparkles to be free? You think sparkles grow on trees?

TANSTAAFS!!

Date: October 24, 2015 09:37PM

I wondered too, Stray Mutt. GA's?

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 02:48AM

My guess is an autocorrect of a typo in "apostles."

Thanks to the OP for the terrifying vision of Tom Monson in a deep v-cut, sparkly, bright blue sequin disco shirt with puffy sleeves.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 10:48AM

When I first began studying this stuff about 19 years ago, one of the first sites I found was the Tanners' utlm.org. They have a topical index page where you can read by subjects:

http://utlm.org/navtopicalindex.htm

Also, their entire book "The Changing World of Mormonism" is on their site:

http://utlm.org/onlinebooks/changecontents.htm

That book is similar to their encyclopedic opus "Mormonism: Shadow Or Reality?" It provides exhaustive documentation on numerous controversial issues.

If your friend is open to reading the info, you might suggest that they read the material and take notes of all the inaccuracies or misinformation they find while reading.

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 10:55AM

If the CES Letter is too much too fast (for your friend), just start with the Book of Abraham evidence. Such evidence has broken many, many a shelf.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 01:15PM

I have four discussions that I am ready to have at any time.

One: I no longer believe and let's leave it at that. Okay if you want to push it, I actively disbelieve. Look, I really don't want to have this discussion but if you are looking for a specific reason why I no longer believe let me just say no, I'm not going to have this discussion.

Two: LDS inc is demonstrably false. Our historical record, our geologic record, our biological record, our philosophical record, and our religious record show that LDS inc cannot be true. I cannot reconcile actual reality with LDS reality so in my case actual reality won.

Three: I got tired of trusting the salvation of my eternal soul to individuals who have demonstrated a lack of integrity and moral foundation. No one can convince me that Joseph was a good man or that the men who manage the enterprise today have my best interest in mind. There actions are inconsistent with their stated goals more often than not.

Four: (The real reason, and the one I almost never get to with "interested" people) I don't trust god, or his plan. His plan is counter-intuitive at almost every point. I acknowledge that I don't know anything compared to all the things that there are to know. However god seems to know less than I do.

Date: October 25, 2015 05:45PM

Or at least, God seems very unwilling to SHARE what he knows.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 05:50PM

http://www.exmormon.org/tract2.htm

This is the one that started it all for me.

HH =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.