Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Johnny Bugeyes ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:56PM

Anyone have recommendation for some books I can present to my TBM wife? What is your top 5? Thought about "Rough Stone Rolling" and "No Man Knows My History"....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:02PM

I really like Grant Palmers "Insiders View of Mormon Origins" . It's easier to get through than the two you mentioned.

However, if you can get her to read "no man knows my history" go for it. It definitely worked for my wife.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:17PM

I'm interested in books--especially Romance (ulp!)--which treat LDS in an objective or even critical light. Books where the protagonist engages LDS teachings and culture realistically, through degrees, and finally acknowledges the fraud.

I just finished Natalie Collins "Wives and Sisters," for which I will give a one-star review on Amazon. It was over-the-top hostile to LDS, with every Mormon male dysfunctional and/or tyrannical, and every LDS female either a pitiable victim or an empty-headed ditz. BTW, the "suspense" story line was equally far-fetched.

Incidentally, I'm male and read occasional Romance novels, but find few viable heroines in them, so my reading becomes increasingly occasional.

Thought for Johnny Bugeyes: pay attention to what your TBM wife reads and talks about on her own, and look for something compatible with that. If she happens to bring up the subject of polygamy on her own, then work in that area. Discus the polygamy essay as a wedge, then a more thorough, critical book as a follow-up.

But caution: giving an unsuspecting person a harshly critical book, hoping that she will read it through and "see the light" is usually ineffective.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:18PM

I also liked "Insiders View of Mormon Origins". The guy who wrote it, Grant Palmer, is a believing member although I think he was disfellowshiped because of this book. I'm thinking of getting this book for my mom this Christmas.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:29PM

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:44PM

I read the book, he says he is in the preface. On his wikipedia page it says he was disfellowshipped due to the book, but he wasn't excommnunicated.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:09PM

I read somewhere that they threatened him with excommunication, so he resigned. Is that wrong, then?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:20PM

First have her read the 13 essays.
Then I'd suggest: Todd Compton (member) "In Sacred Loneliness the Plural Wives of Joseph Smith" -

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:26PM

'Who Really Wrote the Book of Mormon'

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:31PM

Unveiling Grace is very good because it is told from an Ex TBM woman's point of view. Her entire family were serious TBMs, mishies sons etc.
Anyway, it reads like a novel and is very good. It is on Ebay now.

Posted by: Johnny Bugeyes ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:25PM

Thanks for the info everyone!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:51PM

If she's ready to question Mormonism, then those are great recommendations. (I wished I had read Insider's View of Mormon Origins years before I did. It would have been a slam dunk for me).

If she needs to go more slowly, I'd look at Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World" to get her to start thinking critically and apply the scientific method to her beliefs.

If she's ready to question the Bible, try "The Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine.

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:04PM

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.