Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 05:33AM

Could this link be to a or the recipe for them?

http://lilluna.com/funeral-potatoes/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 05:46AM

are any recipe that uses sliced potatoes, cheese, and cream sauce baked and served hot at Mormon funerals.

I couldn't access your recipe, but I'm sure it would work. Is it called scalloped potatoes or au gratin potatoes? Mormons like this because it's a nice inexpensive, filling, make ahead side dish that's easy to transport.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:04AM

Ingredients

2 packages Frozen Hash Brown Potatoes 12 oz. (Southern Style)
2 cups sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup butter melted
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. minced onion or onion powder optional
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups Corn Flakes, crusjed Mixed with 1/2 cup melted butter
Instructions

Place your potatoes in a colander. Let set until thawed and drained.
Combine sour cream, soup and butter in a bowl. Mix it well. Add salt, onion and cheese to this mixture and mix until all combined.
Add potatoes to mixture and stir until all combined. Place in 9x13 pan.
Sprinkle on butter covered crushed Corn flakes.
Bake uncovered at 350 for 40-50 minutes.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:20AM

I think I'll make this for Thanksgiving.

Posted by: mags ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 04:01PM

I use Michaels recipe and sometimes add cubed ham in it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:23PM

than scalloped or au gratin potatoes.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:11AM

My understanding of the Funeral Potatoes is they are Cheap and dirty to fix.

No fancy "Scalloped or Au Grain"

It's often made with Tater Tots!
Not even the classy step up of frozen hash browns...but ordinary Tater Tots!

See Michael's post for recipe.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:06AM

Yes, and they are yummy!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:11AM

It is not restricted to LDS events. They are a staple at funerals from lots of other religiouis groups.

Posted by: Code name: Volpone ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:31AM

But not part of atheist funerals (what comfort is there in those?).

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:26AM

Lots. Where we discuss the person's life and their impact on others in it and in the wider, greater world. It can be pretty comforting to know that someone you loved lived a life worth living and treated others very well while living it, with no reward expected in return, for doing so.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:59AM

Atheists have funerals ?
I thought we were just thrown onto the compost pile.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 07:16AM

Extremely high in calories, carbs, fat. Just about the worst thing you can eat. Add bacon, and it IS the worst thing you can eat.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:05AM

All that's missing is the sugar. No doubt some sneaks in a sprinke as their secret ingredient.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:19AM

Sugar is probably in the soup.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:09AM

It's okay.. they'll get their nutrients from the sliced carrots in the green jello that's melting next to their fat-ladened potatoes.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 07:36AM

My daughters call them church basement potatoes.

We eat them once a year and then sit around and listen to the sound of our arteries closing down.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 07:38AM

If you want a recipe go the home page of any food company that sells hash browns and I am sure you will find a recipe there but they won't be called funeral potatoes. If it has hash browns, grated cheese and sour cream in it, you have found the recipe.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 07:53AM

A Lutheran housewife can't get into Heaven unless she brings a covered dish.

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:53AM

We call them crunchy potatoes. I am the one who makes them every year for Thanksgiving and sometimes Christmas, in my family.

I have added some canned ham to it before when taking it to potlucks at work. I've never done that for family, as I am not sure how well-received that would be.

Yeah, it's loaded with calories, but so is pie and a lot of holiday food. We have it 2-3 times a year at the most.

Other Susan

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:31AM

michael Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could this link be to a or the recipe for them?
>
> http://lilluna.com/funeral-potatoes/

Yes, and they are delicious! This funeral potato thing, though, must be outside of my little area of the world. I've never had them at a Mormon funeral. Or any funeral. But when I discovered the recipe my family went nuts for it. And I add diced ham. Yum. Who cares if it's a heart attack on a plate??? Who eats completely healthy every single meal of their life???? It's a treat.
God sometimes I think if a mormon were to drink a certain type of wine you'd all boycott it. Sheesh.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:43AM

I have a different recipe that I like but it's not for the faint of heart (literally - very high fat content.)

1 to 1 1/2 bags of tater tots (the flat kind work best)
1 can cream of mushroom soup, large family size
1 container of sour cream
1 onion, chopped
16 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb bacon, cooked and chopped

Spread tater tots in a 9x11 baking pan. Mix cooked bacon, onion, sour cream and mushroom soup in a bowl and spread over tater tots. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 375 for 1 hour. Take off foil and bake another 10 minutes or until heated completely through, to crisp the cheese on top. (My husband like it if you cook the onion in the bacon grease before adding it to the sour cream/soup mixture. You can also make this the night before and keep it in the fridge, then get up and put it in the oven to bake - which makes it a good breakfast for special occasions.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 11:44AM by CA girl.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:29PM

I know plenty of never mo's who love 'em too. My Catholic wife won't make 'em...and that just fine.

Ron Burr

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:16PM

My Catholic grandma made something like funeral potatoes, but she used sliced raw potatoes, as the idea was that they cook while the casserole was cooking. Other things she did was to use a packet of onion soup/dip mix, cream of mushroom soup and her recipe didn't call for sour cream. She called it scalloped potatoes, and got the recipe from some magazine in the 50's as it was a cheap side dish to feed a growing family. Now, I've tried funeral potatoes, and I don't care for the texture of hash browns in a casserole, but that's just my thing. I was actually TBM when I tried funeral potatoes at a ward potluck and discovered that I didn't like the texture.

Usually when I make a potato casserole, I just make au gratin potatoes with sliced raw potatoes so that the casserole's done when the potatoes are fully cooked just like my grandma did. The difference is that I use actual cream and white cheddar cheese. It's also high in calories and fat, so I make it twice a year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 02:19PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:25PM

...For a couple of minutes in the microwave, cool, then slice. Too many times I've used raw potatoes and they never cook fully and the sauce gets overcooked.

I've also always called this dish potatoes au gratin. Never heard of funeral potatoes until I came to this board regularly. It's been my experience that this dish is served on Easter with ham or at funerals with ham and/or cold cuts.

I'm not a fan of hashbrown casserole, either, but topped with tater tots might be yummy. That's not necessarily a Mormon thing, because Minnesotans call it "hot dish." It's warm, filling comfort food.

As long as this dish is eaten a couple times a year, it's fine, peeps, unless you have a special diet restriction.

Everything in moderation including moderation.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:26PM

and the texture is much better. I change things around and use different cheeses, etc. My family always asks me to make them because I do change them regularly. I don't make them much anymore and I prefer au gratin with ham, but my kids like funeral potatoes better.

My boyfriend said he'd never try them. He loves them.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:35PM

I make potatoes dauphinois all the time for dinner. It's not that hard and much better for you than funeral potatoes. The only fat is the swiss cheese on top.

You basically slice potatoes and an onion, boil them in milk for 15 minutes with some salt, pepper,garlic and nutmeg . Then you dump that into a greased casserole dish, top with grated swiss cheese and bake it about 30 minutes @ 350F until the cheese is browned and bubbling.

It takes about an hour to cook and is probably cheaper than the disgusting recipes for funeral potatoes I find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 03:36PM by axeldc.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:44PM

I don't like canned soup. I make two cups of white sauce and melt the cheese in that. I then add the sour cream to that mixture. Then I stir it into the potatoes.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:55PM

I've seen the Tater Tot recipe called Dog Poop Casserole

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 09:52PM

I like to add a can or two of chopped green chiles, drained.

The last time I made them for an Ex-Mo dinner, I used Tater Tots and christened it Napoleon Dynamite Funeral Potatoes.

(Watch the movie again.)

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:26PM

Even though I'm BIC, I did not know about funeral potatoes until after I had actually left the cult. They are not good. Make au gratin instead, & add some sour cream to your recipe.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.