Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: waterevil12 ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:16PM

So if the church is false, as exlds believies. Then who benefits from all of this money? Do you think once a year all of the apostles go out into the desert with million dollar Ferraris and crash them? That sounds a bit ridiculous. The way I see it; the church uses the money to build and maintain churches and temples. The church provides for the poor. All of these things are expensive so it has to invest some of its money to get more and the cycle starts over.

Where do you think the money goes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:22PM

Well, billions went into the mall in order to get rid of the "seedy" element in downtown slc. Reports are that each apostle is given $1 million as a welcome to the quorum gift.

The money doesn't go to the poor and needy. That comes from fast offering not tithing.

The bottom line is this: they won't come out and tell people where the money goes. The only reason why that could be is that they are hiding something. Someday itll come out.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:24PM

it buys real estate.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:13AM

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:53PM

1. A shopping mall in Salt Lake City.

2. A 30 story skyscraper in Philadelphia.

3. A luxury resort hotel in Hawaii.

4. A large tract of timberland in Florida.

5. Etc.

By their own admission over a 30 year period, they spent an average of ~$5 per member per year on humanitarian aid.

Date: November 23, 2014 11:56PM

As exlds always affirms its value in evidence. It would be nice to see some photos of the apostles drinking alcohol by the beach in Hawaii. How come there are no photos?

Posted by: notloggedkolob ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:17AM

watereil12 Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
> How come
> there are no photos?

Nobody claimed they were drinking alcohol in Hawaii. You're being dishonest.
The church, from what anyone can tell, uses its wealth to make more wealth. Money is power, and church leaders want both. Of course, nobody can say for certain what they do with their money (and that includes you), because the church refuses to disclose financial records. To anyone. Including members.

Posted by: Futhark ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:59PM

It seems like all of the wealth gets poured into making more wealth.

They had a plan to build financial security, but instead of controlling the finances they're letting the finances control them.

Date: November 24, 2014 12:02AM

So do you think it is like Breaking Bad?

"You are a wealthy man now. One must learn to be rich. To be poor, anyone can manage."- Gus Fring

In relation to a new apostle. Do you think they sit him down and tell him that he needs to learn to be rich. By not going on vacations?

How come journalists don't follow an lds apostle everywhere they go?

Date: November 24, 2014 12:03AM

When I say follow I mean tailgate them in traffic.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:00AM

Late at night, when all good saints are asleep in their twisted itchy garments, the church padlocks the front door and retires to the vault room. There it sits behind a Dickensian desk and lets the money spill through its fingers while singing, "Ringle, jingle, coins when they mingle make such a lovely sound."

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:09AM

Silas Marner counting his gold comes to mind since you've now done give me the Dickens, Don.

So are you also fond of Kipling? Have you even Kipled?

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:32AM

"So if the church is false, as exlds believies. Then who benefits from all of this money?"

A better question would be:

So if the church is TRUE, then who benefits from all the money?

The above statements of investments and real estate purchases are true - LDS Corp owns many non-religious, profit-making companies and vast amounts of real estate (including, I believe, 2% of the entire state of Florida). Would a TRUE church do that?

There have been many threads here in which ward clerks have verified the amount of tithing funds that are collected each year from the wards, and how only a miniscule amount of that is ever returned to the wards for maintenance, utilities, expenses, etc. They confirm that only Fast Offerings are used to assist members or others who are in need. Would a TRUE church do that?

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:46AM

Top morg leaders are lacking serious faith in the protective power of their God, hence their need to invest in so many secular enterprises.

In other words, they know by now that the church is a fraud and are trying to squirrel away money as against the day when the tithing train comes to a halt.

In the meantime,you will see ever increasing demands made on the remaining members.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:17AM

Yup. The church requires its members to pay first, and have faith that God will bless them. Yet the church doesn't practice what it preaches; it takes money from its members and invests it to protect itself.... with no return to the members.

Mormonism and its consuming nature is totally unnecessary.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:11AM

Mormonism is an opaque, tax-protected real estate investment trust. It is currently in the middle of a "We're Not Wierd" rebranding campaign that is not going well.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 07:24AM

Possibly it's just for the sake of making more money. Like a collective Ebeneezer Scrooge, they just might not have a plan for distribution of the wealth, just a need to make more of it and keep it away from the grasp of others who could use it--but for no particular reason. He who dies with the most, wins.

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:33AM

Growing up in the south there was a one time minister/televangelist named Jim Baker along with Tammi Faye Baker that was building an empire of sorts right at the border of North and South Carolina. The place was Heritage USA. For those that don't know that quite a lot of people would give almost all of their life savings to this idiot. He also started the PTL Club... When I was growing up we made fun of the PTL Club calling it the Pass The Loot Club. The PTL Club just like TSCC and I would also add most if not all the televangelist today are so fixed on the worst three crimes available... Greed, Power and Money.

With the fall of Jim and Tammi Faye Baker started a long line of good (as I thought) pastors falling because of scandals that they brought by them. So Jim went to prison, Swaggert got caught bribing for sex on two separate occasions with prositutes and was arrested, etc.

So these peoples empires are destroyed, people that followed them believe now that they were taken to the bank, their lives ruined because of these self rightous money grubbing thieves.

The Mormon empire is shaken but has yet to see the first sign of cracking in the foundation. We can hope that the non Mormon Feds will investigate further into all of their capitol holdings.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:41AM

I read an article years ago that said the Mormons owned more land in Florida than anyone. Also that they owned the largest cattle herds in the nation. Was years ago so might have changed by now.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:46AM

And then swim around in them like Scrooge McDuck.

It's what I believe. And my feelings make it true.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 09:09AM

The wealth of the church goes towards its super secret shareholders.

They do not publish financials because there is far less money in the coffers than people are led to believe.

When it is claimed they have no debt, do not believe them.

LDS Inc is in dire financial straits.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:01AM

The church has poured an astounding amount of money into the BYU Provo and Rexburg campuses. The Provo campus in particular has basically been completely re-made over the last 25 years.

Lots and lots and lots of money spent.

Posted by: nonutard ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:06AM

If they have nothing to hide why not be open and honest all the other religions do it that way.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:10PM

I think the four top are:

1. Pay it's thousands of employees around the world including all of it's educational teachers, plus keep the campuses running, print magazines, manuals, etc.
2. Buy real estate for building temples, etc.
3. Give to humanitarian aid plus keep the Deseret Industries running and Store Houses
4. Send out thousands of missionaries and pay for some of the expenses, often providing vehicles, etc.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:46PM

Suzie you forgot pay its "apostles" and their staff. At the top of the list.

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:55PM

I think that a lot goes to fund the church internationally. In my experience, most missionaries in the developing world have their missions essentially paid for by the church.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:01PM

The church missionary fund comes from the $400 that parents or ward members who donate to the missionary send monthly for that purpose. No money comes from the church to support missionaries that the members or parents haven't donated above their 10% tithing. Having something paid for by the church is like having something paid for by the government, the money comes from the people.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 02:03PM by cynthia.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:56PM

They purchase stock #18 on this list of stockholders.

Skullcandy
Name of Beneficial Owner
Church of Latter-day Saints (21)
62,384 * 56,979 5,405 62,384 5,405 * — *

(21) Craig Christensen, Douglas Martin and Steven Penrose are the authorized agents of the Corporation of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and hold voting and dispositive power of these shares. Each of Craig Christensen, Douglas Martin and Steven Penrose disclaim beneficial ownership over these shares except to the extent of their pecuniary interests therein. The address of the Corporation of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is 50 East North Temple, Room 1514, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150, Attn: Greg Tarbet.

Notice the brand symbolizes youth rebellion. So much for The Strength of the Youth pamphlets.

"Skullcandy is a leading audio brand that reflects the collision of the music, fashion and action sports lifestyles. Our brand symbolizes youth and rebellion, and embodies our motto, “Every revolution needs a soundtrack.” We believe we have revolutionized the headphone market by stylizing a previously-commoditized product and capitalizing on the increasing pervasiveness, portability and personalization of music. The Skullcandy name and distinctive logo have rapidly become icons and contributed to our leading market position, robust net sales growth and strong profitability and return on our invested capital. We increased our net sales from $9.1 million in 2006 to $160.6 million in 2010, representing a compound annual growth rate of approximately 105%. "

Posted by: Mo_Invester ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:29PM

I believe that most of the tithing that the LDS church brings in every year ends up in investments such as land, stock, businesses, etc. And it's probably true that most general authorities are true believers, and they live very wealthy lives, but they don't live like billionaires.

That being said, I would bet that there are an elite group of LDS insiders (most friends, children and relatives) of the top 15 who are making HUGE amounts of money off of the churches money.

Here's an example. Let's assume the church 'invests' 500 million in a real estate or stock deal. It looks clean, because none of the leaders are officially taking money out, so the investment looks like it's following the church's mission of helping to build up the kingdom of god. All looks good on the outside.

Now, where you really need to look is at all the money managers, stock traders, real estate investors, landholders, contractors, construction companies and law firms that are somehow making money on the church's money; either through their own companies or possibly connections to the church.

My guess is that all these 'backend' folks are children, grandchildren and friends of the top 15. If you REALLY want to follow the LDS money trail, see who all the contracters, money managers and investment bankers that work with the church's money and I would bet my life they are making enourmous amounts of profit. That way it all looks clean. If the church invests 500 million with a stock fund and makes 3%, that means the church can claim it made 15 million. However, what they don't mention is that the money manager (most likely relative to members of the top 15) also got his skim (er, I mean 'commision' of 1 million for making money on the church's money.

Also, as a side note, I always wonder when the church announces a new temple, do they secretly leak that information to relatives/friends of the top leaders, so they can buy up all the land next to the temple?

That way when the temple location gets announced, the owners of the land can sell it at a huge profit since so many LDS will pay a premium to have a home near a temple. I've always wondered this.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:44PM

Like any business, it's objective is to acquire more wealth.

If in that process the they can funnel some of that directly or indirectly to insiders, they do. "Living allowances" for the top level management.

All the endless construction projects. How many of those are overbid/priced to "worthy" members, and how much do they subcontract to other "worthy" members? Since they don't open the books, charges for $6000 toilet seats, and $10,000 screwdrivers wouldn't surprise me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.