Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: EM ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 10:37PM

After reading many of the apologist responses to most every issue with the LDS faith. I'm wondering are there any women apologists?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:44PM

Good question, I would like to know if there are any LDS apologists that are female. I haven't seen or heard of one. Maybe it's just for the "key" holders.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:20AM

Men aren't interested in what women have to say. If they have something good to contribute, a man will steal it.

I learned this from the Stake President in Logan. He was in my poetry class and never complemented me on any of my work. Then one day in a general assembly he got up and read a poem he wrote about modern life. Yup - he plagiarized some unique phrases from my work, completely unapologetically and without acknowledging that he stole them. Since they were made-up words, the whole class knew what he did. He just did not care. Said it was a complement to me (that a person of his stature stole my work).

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: PalominoGal ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:55AM

Laura Hales & Fiona Givens come to mind.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 07:10AM

But aren't they both part of a husband/wife team?

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:56AM

I read one (forgot the name), and the writing quality and logical gaps made it clear that her time at BYU was spent looking for an eternal meal ticket, and not getting an education.

Posted by: rt nli ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:20AM

Maybe I'm sexist but I think most women just don't have what it takes to be an acclaimed apologist: a small willy.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:07PM

Deanne G. Matheny comes to mind. There are some, but they are definitely underrepresented. Below is a list of authors for the Maxwell Institute. There are some female names in the list, but not all publications are necessarily apologetic.

http://publications.maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/home/authors/

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:55PM

I agree that Mormon men generally don't care what women say, even if they're defending the church. I felt that way when I was active, and the only time they cared that I quit going was when I resigned, because it meant they were losing potential tithing and another brood mare. In the end, resigning was still the best thing I've done because I was able to say I wasn't connected with a hateful organization.

Posted by: today ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:04PM

Mormon women don't have time. They are either taking care of the kids, cleaning, or feeling resentful for the above...

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 04:08PM

Women are smarter than men. This is proof!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 04:51PM

One of the main founders of FAIR is a woman.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 04:54PM

Jan Shipps

Posted by: 2+2=4 nli ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 04:55PM

I personally regard Joanna Brooks as an apologist. It's a cult tactic group and she never, never addresses that.

Posted by: cathyh ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 05:36PM

Jolie Hales (What Mormons Believe) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYLCKXOyljg

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 05:38PM

I consider Mormon Girl, Joanna Brooks to be apologetic.

Apologist Brad Hales' wife is an apologist as well.

Looks like I am in agreement with above posters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 05:39PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 12:24PM

And for those who've looked in on the old FAIR site, now Mormon Dialogue, there are a few as well. There writings are every bit as gonzo as male apologists.

And that gives me an idea; I think I'll look in on ldsfreedomforum.com. I'm in need of some holiday material and a laugh. I'll be sure to check back in; Raptor Jesus notes that place can be worse than heroin.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 07:00PM

Women don't have the priesthood, so they're not able to tap the sheer power of almighty God for the inspiration needed to counteract the constant barage of issues brought up anti-mormons. After all, only the Priesthood could have given us such gems as horses are actually tapirs and that there are no contradictions in the first vision accounts. Who would have known?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 07:09PM by hangar18.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 11:59AM

In general, sisters don't "apologize" for the Church.

The stereotypical LDS sister has much less interaction with the "world" than brethren of the priesthood. The sisters are home (in the LDS Bubble) while brethren deal with "others" more regularly in their careers. Hence, the sisters' testimonies are less "tried" through encounters with "worldly" influences. Since their testimonies are less inclined to be in conflict with the "world," these sisters see less need to correct the world. In their spheres of influence, the Church is largely unchallenged.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 03:52PM

They "uphold the priesthood" rather that speaking out through FAIR or FARMS type "think tanks."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.