Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 09:41PM

I've just finished one of the best books I've read in a LONG time, maybe in my top 5 best books so far... "The Way the Crow Flies" by Ann-Marie MacDonald. The author really set the bar high and I'm struggling to want to pick up another book- I really don't want to be disappointed in my next read. I grew so attached to the characters in this latest novel! And her writing style was just brilliant. The story will haunt me for awhile I'm sure.

So, whatcha readin' and is it amazing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fubecona ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 10:16PM

I've been reading a lot lately. A few things I've read in the past few months that I enjoyed include:
People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (I have mixed feelings on this one but it raises a lot of interesting moral questions, so I liked that part of it).
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (This is my new favorite book).
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosney
(Those last 3 are all Holocaust related books but they're all fictional. I like WWII stuff.)
Five Quarters of the Orange, by Joanne Harris (I'm mixed on this one too--I liked some aspects of the book and overall was compelled to finish it, but the characters are a bit hard to relate to.There are some great descriptions of food, if you like that sort of thing, but overall it's a pretty dark story. It's also WWII).

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 10:27PM

I just finished a bunch of totally f'ed up stuff by Chuck Palahniuk.

Now I'm reading the European Regulations for biologicals (work study). It's not nearly as interesting.

I've been listening to Darwin's Origin of the Species on audio book. It's been years since I read it. Considering what he had to work with, it's amazing what he was able to observe.

I appreciate everyone sharing good reads here. I've found some real jewels from these threads.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 10:30PM

"What a plant knows" investigating how a plant experiences life, and what senses they have. Very interesting.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:02PM

Going to start "Waging Heavy Peace" by Neil Young.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:45PM

The other night I was watching Neil Young perform "Cortez" on the internet, and I was enthralled. The band built up a backwall of rich distortion and Young laid his lead guitar over it, letting some of the notes hang way out there, as if suspended on the susurration of lowing feedback. A chill spread across the nape of my neck as the growling notes tangled and rushed up against the opening lyric, "He came dancing across the water..." and my eyes teared at the thought of Cortez washing up on American shores like an angel of Hell.

Beautiful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 11:46PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 10:20AM

Nice!

Just pushed 'play'. Listening right now, with your words in mind...

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 10:30AM

Rereading Baudeliere and some Philip Roth

Burke on the Sublime and the Beautiful

Roy F. Baumeister on Willpower

And one of favourite fall treasures, an Easton Press volume of Thoreau's Walden with wood engravings by Thomas W. Nason:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=thomas+W.+nason&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8Z90VJjtMcfmiQLS54GYDQ&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1425&bih=1164

Human, finding a good fire and a glass of port with a nice volume or two at hand part of the good life

Posted by: elbert ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:22PM

A Spy among Friends, by Macintyre. About K Philby, great read!

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:32PM

Ready Player One.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:10AM

"Salamander" sent to me by an RfM poster. OMG I somehow forgot that that stinking bag of shit Gordon Hinckley lied to the police. He told them Hofmann never called him, he didn't have his number, he only spoke to his secretary...etc, then the police got Hofmann's cell phone records.

Recently read "Hyperbole and a Half" by Allie Brosh. Made the mistake of giving it to my son in the hospital waiting room and he laughed so hard and so often they refused to admit him for his depression. So, like it's the funniest. A new kind of humor and believe me, I am picky about humor.

Next I'm reading some from you guys.... the crow book and the peace book.

Kathleen Waters

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 12:12AM by anagrammy.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:18AM

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:04AM

I am presently reading "The Spirit of Anglicanism" by Michael Ramsey, a former Archbishop of Canterbury. It may sound dull to some of you but I find it a good read. I am also reading "Hero:

The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia" by Michael Korda. It is very good as well.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:04AM

Team of Rivals

The Third Chimpanzee

Posted by: Ookami ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 09:37AM

"Genocidal Organ" by Project Itoh.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:55AM

I Last weekend I started reading Ryan Rhodes book Free Electricity. He's a fellow exmo. So far the book is great! One of the friends of the main character, Bernie, had a fun encounter with a set of missionaries. It has me laughing my ass off.

Posted by: O'Brien ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:10AM

At the moment I'm reading Miles Davis's autobiography and working my way through the Cthuhlu Mythos cycle by H.P. Lovecraft

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:03PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
I'm currently reading the 7th book in the "Black Dagger Brotherhood" series. Romance, hot sex, hot guys, interesting, engaging stories. I like my fantasy fic!

Next on the list is book 2 of Game of Thrones.

In the car I'm listening to "The Lady and the Unicorn". Love it!

Just read Ready Player One a few weeks ago. It was GREAT!

Posted by: dissonanceresolved ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:24PM

"Damned Lies and Statistics" by Joel Best for some critical thinking skills and "Bright-Sided" by Barbara Ehrenreich "How the relentless promotion of positive thinking has undermined America." I can own my serious personality with less guilt for not being Ms. Happy and Bubbly. "Nickel and Dimed" and "Bait and Switch" by Ehrenreich were also eye opening books about life below middle income.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:49PM

I thought 'The Way the Crow Flies' was fantastic, too! I read it years ago.

I just finished 'The Martian' by Andy Weir and it was a great read, too. His first published novel, and I can hardly wait for whatever he writes next. It's technically sci-fi, but it's fascinating and gripping, and really only sci-fi in its setting. My husband is reading and loving it now and he is NOT a sci fi reader.

Also just finished 'Devil in the White City' by Erik Larson. Good story.

Posted by: Nozama ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 12:50PM

"When Santa Was a Shaman" by Tony van Renterghem. I re-read it every few years about this time. Great information about how many of our celebrations are Pagan in origin, including many "Christian" traditions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.