Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 12:35PM

Had to go to a stake center yesterday. Washed my hands and noticed water was only cold. Asked the guy assigned to be janitor for the day...he said all 4 buildings in the stake were ordered to shut off hot water in order to save $, except for the baptismal tub.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 12:40PM

where????

(a few more details ain't gonna reveal your identity!)

doesn't using hot water for washing hands (after using potty) help kill germs?

Maybe... members of that stake didn't hit their numbers of TRs, Temple Attendance, and TITHING; (maybe) this is the roll-out of dog's New Plan for incentives!!!! Yea Dog!

Sheesh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 12:43PM by GNPE.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 12:51PM

The new competition in stakes across the land...the race for the bottom.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 12:53PM

All buildings in our stake have on-demand hot waters heaters at each sink.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 12:56PM

Try using the restrooms in some of their public buildings downtown in SLC. While the hot water is not "off" if you turn it as hot as possible it **might** get luke warm (80 degrees Fahrenheit). Been that way for at least 10-15 years. Very unsanitary.

Posted by: 鍾益飛 ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 12:56PM

What a humble, downtrodden church the Mormon Church is! Undoubtedly, some members' testimonies will be strengthened by the resolve their branch is displaying in the face of such adversity.

What are some ways we could help this branch afford its electricity bill?

Obviously, $6,000,000,000 each year from tithing just isn't enough to cover the utilities. Perhaps you could suggest to the local members that they pitch in gold, jewellery, fine china. If the flock seem reluctant, remind them that the early members of the Church did not hesitate to donate everything they had to the glory of Gawd.

Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 12:58PM

? That makes no plumbing sense... Unless there is a seperate water heater for the baptismal font, which I doubt. That would be the fixture tscc would be using least.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:05PM

Let people be baptized in the rivers like Jesus. WWJD? He wasn't baptized in warm or hot water.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 05:50PM

Well, baptisms are scheduled in advance. Maybe they turn the hot water heater back on a couple of hours before they need to fill the font?

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 01:42PM

For any kind of central hot water system, this makes no sense.

Additionally, if they closed the valve to each hot water line off the heater (possible with modern-ish Pex system), then you'd just get no water at all when you turn the valve, not cold water.

They may have turned the temp of the water down somewhat, but unlikely they turned it off.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 01:46PM

Because baptisms are infrequent, they may turn the water temperature up before they fill the font, and turn it down again later.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 01:47PM

Considering how much water it takes to fill a font would it not make sense to install a separate water heater for the font?

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 02:01PM

Let's wait for enough years to pass in which most of the essential building maintenance is not done (let alone small things like the hot water), and all the buildings begin to crumble.

Rot you can see.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 02:36PM

No hot water would give me pause when I thought about the hands that prepared the sacrament, just sayin'...

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 02:37PM

... or lack of wet wipes or hand sanitizer.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:30AM

Hot water does not make washing hands sanitized folks.

It is the soap, the scrubbing for a decent length of time (15 seconds is recommended/sing Happy Birthday twice) and rinsing.

Hot or warm water is a comfort thing, not a necessity.

If you were to kill germs with heated water, it would need to be boiling to do the job properly. In return, you would get 3rd degree burns.

RMM

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:45AM

If the water is cold people are going to put their hands in water and immediately pull them out, not wash for at least 20 seconds as recommended by the CDC.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 02:41PM

Health codes require at least warm water to wash hands. Unless there's a religious exemption I don't know about.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 02:44PM

Was told by a Doctor that soap that is made to kill germs is the thing that does the trick - that hot water is not important.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 02:57PM

Well, that could be true. I am stating general municipal codes. I once started a small business and even though I was the only person running the place, Orem wouldn't give me a license until I had a water heater. The landlord bought a tiny one and I installed it. I,m pretty sure most cities want the hot water to work in any occupied building.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 02:58PM

Hand washing instructions for children usually include the advice to wash with soap and to vigorously rub your hands with the soapy mixture for as long as it takes to sing the "Happy Birthday" song twice.

Cold water will discourage that.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:44AM

Hand washing is more amout removing germs rather than killing them.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:23AM

Where were you when I was just trying to explain this to my sister?

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:00PM

LOL. I have to laugh somtimes at how neurotic everyone has become.

I guess it's a consequence of America becoming more urban over the years. I look around and everhone is afraid to touch any thing or surface that they don't personally own. Maybe it's time to bring back dress gloves as standard apparal.

Posted by: ElGuapo ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:07AM

I'm just piling on now, but I also read in an Ask Marilyn column that the temperature of the water had nothing to do with getting hands clean. Whether people will wash in cold water or what building codes require are still relevant questions though.

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:28AM

Like the top 15 not making enough money already...

Posted by: blj123 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 12:56PM

How rich. You can be baptized in hot water (presumably to burn your sins off) but once in TSCC you can't get warm water to clean the germs off your hands. Only special before your magical bath. Afterwards, you're just another number/tithepayer.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:06PM

If this happened in CA it would be expected as much of the area is in a very, very bad drought.

Posted by: Willie ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:12PM

A few years back the Dunseith, North Dakota branch had the water lines freeze. SLC would not pay to have them thawed. All winter we had NO water. Had to have the kids driven a mile away to a gas station to use the bathroom.

Seems the heater was turned down too much during the week and 30-40 below temps outside did the rest.

The church finally broke the lease(after spending more than $40,000 upgrading the building) and moved the congregation about 35 miles South to Rugby, ND - further from the Turtle Mountain Indian Reservation. There they lease another commercial building, spending a ton once again.

What kind of idiots refuse to thaw pipes when they know babies and children are in the mix?

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:42PM

I believe you.

As a member I belonged to a Stake Centre that was knows for not having hot water. There was hot water but it took forever to warm up, lasted very little and then once it was gone, you had to wait until at least the next day to start seeing lukewarm water again. This was awful on busy days or activity days, especially youth conferences where we were left to clean the kitchen with ice cold water (this is Canada after all).

After years of suffering the Stake was renovated. I'm sure it cost a lot of money to renovate and you'd think that the water problem would be fixed. Nope. Rumour had it that it was too pricey to fix the problem with the pipes or whatever the issue was. The stake look renovated from the outside for the water problem remains to this day.

For the LDS leadership money seems to be more important than people.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:21PM

Each region (roughly correspondent to a mission) has a maintenance group coordinator. He has an annual budget for reforms and maintenance. His boss is pleased in direct proportion to unused money at the end of the year.

The coordinator may have already spent all his budget for 2014 and is trying to make it last to january, or he may be wanting a promotion and is trying to save a large portion of it.

I had trouble with a guy trying to do the later when I was a bishop. The chapel was in terrible state and the guy was always trying to sidestep me.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:22PM

I forgot to mention that money magically appeared when GAs came to visit. The Chapel was painted and the garden was completely remade. Everything broken was fixed and the GAs mentioned how grateful they were to be in such a well maintained chapel.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:32PM

I am sure it is less about expense and more the concern of LDS about their carbon footprint and their actions affecting climate change.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.