Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 06:52AM

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/07/scientology_xenu_whole_track.php

Just like these Scientologists, a lot of TBMs don't just leave when they find out the truth about Joseph Smith -- .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 06:55AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 07:05AM

To see what some like Tom Cruise really believe in you have to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBZ_uAbxS0

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 07:38AM

If you've ever had a job in Scientology for which you got free lessons/auditing sessions, they BILL you when you try to leave, saying that your work just wasn't worth the cost of the auditing.

Some people get the equivalent of $.50 an hour, working 100 hours a week and then, when they leave, they receive a bill for tens (or even hundreds) of thousands of dollars!

Imagine if it cost you an EXTRA 10% of everything you made during the time in TSCC, in order not to be sued for being a "deadbeat," and you have an idea why they are hesitant to leave.

Plus, just like Mormons assume that you must be sinning, if you leave TSCC, Scientologists assume that you have unconfessed crimes against humanity and are considered an "SP" (Supressive Person) which is the equivalent of being a psychopath. They shun you, follow you, harass you. They make Mormons look good.

Posted by: cowboyjack ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:39AM

For those who are unfamiliar with the 'auditing' that scientologists experience, you may be surprised that they use a device called an e-meter.

The e-meter (or electro-psychometer) is a device invented in the 1940s by a chiropractor named Volney Mathison. It was originally called the Mathison Model B Electropsychometer and was promoted as an aid to psychotherapy and chiropractic.

If you want to buy one and use it as a party trick, you can find one here. Maybe you can earn as much as they do using it. Here is a link to one for sale (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scientology-Mark-VI-E-meter-with-Locking-Case-/251720350269?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9bb3ba3d)

Oh, that's right, you'll have to call it a religion before you can do that.

No offense intended, but it works kind of like priesthood blessings. If you believe it works, it works; not, then not. Both the e meter and blessings are based on the psychology of confirmation bias, that is, the user gets the results they already believe they will get.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:34PM

My understanding is that this is a galvanic skin response meter, one of the readings given by a polygraph. So when stress, such as lying, causes a person's palms to sweat, a bit of salty moisture is released, which can be measured. The polygraph--and I'm not getting into its reliability here--measures blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and a few other stress indicators.

So--correct me if I'm wrong, folks--you're getting a stripped down lie detector, "invented" by that creative ultra-genius EL-ron Hubbard.

I like to call myself a "Level IX Operating Cretin."

And yes, it is an especially nefarious cult, worse than LDS, and not to be confused with Christian Science.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:19PM

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:11AM

I think it all comes down to the sunk cost fallacy. By the time they learn about Xenu, they have already invested a ton of time and money into the religion that they'd rather play it out to the end than leave.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:18AM

I thought it was funny that a bunch of them thought they were Jesus in a past life. And that they aren't supposed to talk about their past life experiences with other members. (Too sacred to talk about?)

Ant the end: quite a few comments by former scientologists commenting on their own experiences

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 11:21AM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:38AM

You may be on to something. Other Christian religions have their ex nihilo creation and an eternity contemplating the glory of God. Mormons have the pre-existence, with its gradual transitions through various stages of embodiment, and an indeterminate length of time (real linear time, BTW) for preparation to come to earth for a body, punctuated by a very real (to them) War in Heaven. And that's just the first half. So yes, it is easy to see how Mormons see themselves as major players in a great cosmic project, for which deserting your post has consequences for all of humanity. That would explain why they are so angry at dissenters and "apostates".

Thanks for the insight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 11:46AM by slskipper.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 03:12PM

Careful conditioning. Investing the person in the beliefs.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 03:18PM

Nobody likes to admit that they spent tons of time and money on something that turns out to be stupid. It often seems better to just continue on rather than admit that all the sunk costs were a waste.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 08:08PM

How happy I am that my parents were lukewarm Mormons, and that I was never indoctrinated! I love being a ftee thinker an have pity for the millions who are deluded by religions and cults.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 04:14PM

For a window into what Scientology brainwashing from birth can do, take a look at this bizarre interview with Willow and Jaden Smith (Will and Jada Pinkett Smith's kids). It's full of Scientology philosophy and superior attitude. It's hard to see how anyone this brainwashed could walk away.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/tmagazine/2014/11/17/jaden-and-willow-smith-exclusive-joint-interview/?referrer=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 04:16PM by inmoland.

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 04:58PM

Check out Heber Jentzsch, President of the Church of Scientology, and currently in Scientology "jail":

"Heber grew up in Utah as the son of an excommunicated member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Carl Jentzsch, who was a polygamist. As a result of his father's polygamy, Heber has 42 brothers and sisters."

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/07/scientology_david_jentzsch_heber.php

Posted by: Jilly ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 05:41PM

Being a SoCal girl, I've seen my share of the Scienos and I'm very familiar with their belief system. Whatever, eh? It's all just a bunch of psycho-babble (even though they don't believe in psychological help). They're scary as sh*t. As Steve Martin's film character "Bowfinger" so elegantly called their organization Mind Head (aka Mind F***), that's EXACTLY what they do....mess with heads.

But.....I could only last 6 minutes and 32 seconds into that Tom Cruise video because 1) I can't stand that guy and 2) WTF was he even talking about???? I know he's got that Napoleonic Complex thing going on, but Dude!

Shut up.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:45AM

But some do exactly that; they walk away despite the cost to them in their professional and personal lives and those are the people I want to hear more from. Not the ones who believe the lie and perpetuate the fraud or those who discover the lie and stay in to protect themselves, or benefit from it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.